What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Working more on the wing. Fiberglass is done. Now the dusty filler to make it smooth
20200520_092308.jpg

Odie

Diggity that is one outlaw X, you and Brandon need to get your cars together for a photo shoot when you get this stage done.

Nice wing, lots of work in it already and more work to come.

I will have to come and visit when we can wander around with strangers wearing masks...

Replaced ratty fuel injection supply hoses. Then took it for its first real drive since last fall.

Made a quick and dirty how to. Will try and to go back and fix the images.

The weather was nice yesterday, so I took it off the Battery Tender, removed the roof, and went to the gas station for a 1/4 tank and then went for a nice 1/2 hr drive in lower Montgomery County.

Came back and idled for a while, temps got past the point where the fans would kick in, so I placed drain pan under the front left corner and did a quick burp. As soon as the sound changed from "hissss" to "spptptptptpp" the fans kicked in and temps eventually went back to normal.

I am going to have to come up with a better venting/draining arrangement for burping as I HATE that burping results in a mess up in the radiator compartment and drips where it wants to drip, which is rarely in the drain pan!

The weather was nice yesterday, so I took it off the Battery Tender, removed the roof, and went to the gas station for a 1/4 tank and then went for a nice 1/2 hr drive in lower Montgomery County.

Came back and idled for a while, temps got past the point where the fans would kick in, so I placed drain pan under the front left corner and did a quick burp. As soon as the sound changed from "hissss" to "spptptptptpp" the fans kicked in and temps eventually went back to normal.

I am going to have to come up with a better venting/draining arrangement for burping as I HATE that burping results in a mess up in the radiator compartment and drips where it wants to drip, which is rarely in the drain pan!
That seems like a lot of air Dan. The fan switch is pretty much mid-tank above the output. Don't forget to check the reservoir level if that much coolant moved to the rad.

That seems like a lot of air Dan. The fan switch is pretty much mid-tank above the output. Don't forget to check the reservoir level if that much coolant moved to the rad.
It took less than a second between first crack of the burp plug to the fans kicking on, so I have to think it was this close:
1590935145026.png

I follow Jay Leno's burp technique that he uses on his Miura, do it while the cooling system is up to full temp and while the engine is running. That way the system's own internal pressure helps to expel the air. If you burp while the system is cold and not running, under certain circumstances I think opening the burp plug could let air in.

it was this close
I loved that show.

Dan, I'm curious how often do you have to burp the cooling system? Is it typically only after sitting in storage a while, or is it a fairly regular thing?

Your comment about a better bleeding method gave me some thoughts. But maybe we should move this to a new thread - cooling system discussions always seem to carry on long.

I don't recall off hand, has this job been documented on the forum yet? Perhaps you could be so kind to take some pics and do a little write up on it as you work on yours.
I was following this post by carl from 2018 which is fairly comprehensive:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/steering-rack-bushing-failure-mode.35940/

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it!) my bushing appears to have been changed recently as it looks to be in good shape. Tabs are all there, no pieces missing, not falling apart, etc. I'm debating if I should leave well enough alone and put everything back together as is, or replace it since I have the rack out.

I'm debating if I should leave well enough alone and put everything back together as is, or replace it since I have the rack out.
Thanks for reminding me of the prior thread about it. I guess I was thinking I don't recall a thread on completely rebuilding the rack. Not that you intend to, but while it is out of the car it is a good time to check the tolerances, replace the seals, replace the lube, and perhaps consider changing that bushing to a urethane one. It is available from a couple of companies. Here is one example:

I intend to use a urethane bushing just for longevity, whether it needs it or not.

Thanks for reminding me of the prior thread about it. I guess I was thinking I don't recall a thread on completely rebuilding the rack. Not that you intend to, but while it is out of the car it is a good time to check the tolerances, replace the seals, replace the lube, and perhaps consider changing that bushing to a urethane one. It is available from a couple of companies. Here is one example:

I intend to use a urethane bushing just for longevity, whether it needs it or not.

Thx Dr. Jeff. I have the aluminum MWB bushing, but someone ham fisted staking the inner tie rod end so it's proving a challenge to remove.

Beautiful day for a drive, today. Came across a road sign that made me stop for a picture. County XX

Sorry the picture is upside down...

Attachments

• 20200531_163332.jpg
    20200531_163332.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Back