What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Drove my ‘85 in an autocross today. Did OK for a car with less than half they power of all but one other car (more like a third or quarter).

It was a fun day. I think it is time to finally retire the tires gifted me by the honorable Mr VanDyke, I have reached the wear bar perfectly on one of the front tires.

Although the X is decent on a tight course, it certainly prefers sweeping transitions. At least with the OE springs. It was a tight course which didn’t reward too much speed.

People always comment on how much it leans in a turn.

Time to mount up the new wheels, tires and the springs from Eurosport...

95C9ECD0-6EC0-4A9B-8D51-BEA284E283B9.jpeg
7EC70F7E-3CAB-4930-8EE2-A622B6995E55.jpeg

Its pretty simple all you do is simply tell us what you've done to your X1/9 during the current day or in the late evening prior. It can be anything from a fun drive, wash/wax, to engine rebuilding etc.. Pics and video are always welcome for incrimination.. :eek:mg:.. I mean entertainment purposes.

Its pretty simple all you do is simply tell us what you've done to your X1/9 during the current day or in the late evening prior. It can be anything from a fun drive, wash/wax, to engine rebuilding etc.. Pics and video are always welcome for incrimination.. :eek:mg:.. I mean entertainment purposes.
Well, I’ve been away awhile getting my X running better than it ever! Here’s a list of what I’ve done:

Replaced...

Electric fuel pump (added switch)
Carburetor (larger main jets and pump jets)
Manifold gasket
Ignition module
Distributor
Spark plugs & wires
Timing belt
Throttle cable
Added main central power and ground bus

Runs beautifully!!
Just had a very smooth strong highway ride!!

Next: going to add led lights to dash, fix horn, add stainless steel brake hoses and bleed system.

ps: also put new front and rear brakes on my ‘71 850 Spider.

Attachments

• 59A82750-A452-4792-B98E-05107DD3E469.jpeg
    59A82750-A452-4792-B98E-05107DD3E469.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 086ECEC8-C11A-4D32-AE77-FBD32C952BB2.jpeg
    086ECEC8-C11A-4D32-AE77-FBD32C952BB2.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 116
Well, I’ve been away awhile getting my X running better than it ever! Here’s a list of what I’ve done:

Replaced...

Manifold gasket
Ignition module
Distributor
Spark plugs & wires
Timing belt
Throttle cable

Runs beautifully!!

Next: going to add led lights to dash, fix horn, add stainless steel brake hoses and bleed system.

Full day from the looks of it. We all should be so productive.

Finished up the fuel tank-pre filter-pump-post filter job. Made new metal lines to get it up to the top where i had the pump previously. All went well. UNTIL.... because my tools are in a shipping container and my car is in a harbor frieght portable garage, i usually put the tools i am going to use in a rubbermaide tub. Well. I sealed the connections with permatex aviation form a gasket #3. When i was putting in the tub i realized too late the top wasnt on. Yup. All over the tools. Ever try to get a fuel safe substance off of anything? After trying many different things. Acetone woked the best. Every thing is still a little sticky so i will be off again tonight to see if i can clear it all off.

The good news. No power drain and no miss on vtec now :)

Odie
1979 fiat x19 b16 vtec
1981 spider (wifes toy)
1978 spider (project on deck)

permatex aviation form a gasket #3
Once that stuff ages it gets even harder to remove (as they say, ask me how I know), so try to get all of it off ASAP. Maybe denatured alcohol? But Acetone may be best.

Glad you got the fuel system sorted. I also like using hardlines for things like this. The last time I looked the price of annealed stainless tubing was outrageous though. Initially I'll probibly just use fuel hose but later I'd like to go back and redo it with hardlines.

Joe, do you know if the chrome rings were standard or an option with those factory wheels? I have the option of reinstalling these wheels on my car and was considering looking for chrome rims. Also, what size tire is on them in the picture?
Thanks
Livio
To my best knowledge, they are original chrome rings on the stock wheels. My rings have never been added since leaving the dealership.
There 13 " original size wheels. Hope that helps !
IMG_1145 (2).jpg

Thanks Joe, your car looks like a real time capsule, amazing. Love the silver with the brown interior. I assume the tires are 165/70’s?

Replaced...

Manifold gasket
Ignition module
Distributor
Spark plugs & wires
Timing belt
Throttle cable

Runs beautifully!!

NICE CAR!

Mind telling us a about the head unit, remote, or whatever little goody it is that you have where the ash tray goes?

Thanks DeLaun

Attachments

• After 8.JPG
    After 8.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 101
NICE CAR!

Mind telling us a about the head unit, remote, or whatever little goody it is that you have where the ash tray goes?

Thanks DeLaun

Thanks!!! That’s an old head unit from Secret Audio. I leave it there because it looks good even though it doesn’t work:) I mounted my new head unit in the sun visor and ran the cord to the main box behind drivers seat with my Bluetooth transmitter box. I will have to take some more interior pics and send them. You’ll be able to see my push button start that I added as well. For now, here’s one pic of the interior where I now have a USB charger for my phone where the cigarette lighter use to reside and the fuel pump switch in place of the dash light potentiometer. I had fun with the dremel tool on that switch and wired the power wire through the shift tunnel.

Hopefully, you’ll enjoy!

PS: The AC vent was something that a buddy of mine who did my seats found and added. It’s a nice touch.

MC

Attachments

• 7C684776-E229-4C74-9F93-00E91FD8D3A2.jpeg
    7C684776-E229-4C74-9F93-00E91FD8D3A2.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 117
Thanks Mike,

So when you say it's an "old" head unit, does that mean before bluetooth? Thanks for mentioning the seats as I forgot to, they look fantastic as does the rest of the interior. I'm curious about your "buddy" that did them. Does he have a business or was this a buddy deal? I seen some pics of your car a couple months ago and fell in love with the wheels. I hope you don't mind but I had to have them. There are a lot of nice wheels out there but when I seen yours I went coo coo for coco puffs. Yes more pics would be great please.

Thanks DeLaun

July 2020 044 Cropped.jpgJuly 2020 046 Half size.jpgJuly 2020 040 Cropped.jpg

Thanks Mike,

So when you say it's an "old" head unit, does that mean before bluetooth? Thanks for mentioning the seats as I forgot to, they look fantastic as does the rest of the interior. I'm curious about your "buddy" that did them. Does he have a business or was this a buddy deal? I seen some pics of your car a couple months ago and fell in love with the wheels. I hope you don't mind but I had to have them. There are a lot of nice wheels out there but when I seen yours I went coo coo for coco puffs. Yes more pics would be great please.

Thanks DeLaun

View attachment 35960View attachment 35961View attachment 35959
The wheels look awesome against the green! Nice! The luggage rack adds a nice bit of extra chrome, too. Just enough to set it off. You may want to consider some lowering springs for the front if you want less of the wheel well exposed but definitely not necessary. Where is that beautiful background?!

The wheels look awesome against the green! Nice! The luggage rack adds a nice bit of extra chrome, too. Just enough to set it off. You may want to consider some lowering springs for the front if you want less of the wheel well exposed but definitely not necessary. Where is that beautiful background?!

Hey Thanks, I thought about lowering when I first got the wheels because the 195/45r15's were rubbing on the front fenders. The lowering springs are smaller in diameter which would allow me to remove the 5mm spacer to move the wheel in to eliminate the rubbing. I ended up trimming away the fender liner against the bottom and slightly rolling the fender.

The pics were taken about 10 miles from my house or 55 miles east of Salt Lake City at a place called "Flat Rock".

DeLaun

Last edited:
Pulled the driver side strut, looks like the upper mount got bent. Getting some new ones from MB and I swear I’ll never jump the car in Chickasaw county ever again...
233F18CD-49B9-4DD5-BC1D-7264518108E4.jpeg

looks like the upper mount got bent.
I'll bet your strut tower tops are also bent. Try to flatten them before you install the new mounts.

As for replacement top mounts, several owners are finding the current supply of new replacements to be short lived. Perhaps look into the "heavy duty" version sold by some vendors. They were designed and made to be much more robust, but therefore are also more expensive. Or if you are into doing modifications there is an option using Ford Focus top mounts.

I swear I’ll never jump the car in Chickasaw county ever again...
Let me guess, that's where the dukes of hazzard lived? :D

I'll bet your strut tower tops are also bent. Try to flatten them before you install the new mounts.

As for replacement top mounts, several owners are finding the current supply of new replacements to be short lived. Perhaps look into the "heavy duty" version sold by some vendors. They were designed and made to be much more robust, but therefore are also more expensive. Or if you are into doing modifications there is an option using Ford Focus top mounts.

Let me guess, that's where the dukes of hazzard lived? :D
Exactly... thanks for the info, I’ll seek out the heavy duty ones.

Back