What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

That's beautiful! Thank you.

And now, for something very ugly: I managed to get the old pedal box out of the car today. Content warning: rust, crust, and general awfulness. Do they always look this bad, or is mine just special?

1620347190673.png

1620347214160.png

1620347243381.png

1620347276204.png

Kinda surprising the pedals even worked, now that I can get a good look at everything.

Also, thanks to @Dr.Jeff on a different thread, who suggested snipping the hoses where they pass through the "firewall" (or whatever you call it in the frunk!). That made it much easier to pull the box out. It did involve leaving a snail-trail of fluid across the entire windshield-wiper channel when I pulled the reservoirs-plus-hoses. But I just dumped a bunch of degreaser down the middle where the latch is so it ran off in both directions, then chased that with about a gallon of water. It all seemed to wash down the drain holes on either side.

Question: is there a particular recommended grease/lubricant to use on moving parts? I have silicone grease (for brake parts), lithium grease, some Red Line CV joint grease, and a spray can of dry silicone lube. I'm thinking maybe the CV joint grease?

After measuring (making sure to leave a little extra) and cutting my new reservoir hoses to length, I found it much easier to install and route all the hoses onto the pedal assembly and feed the ends going into the scuttle through the front bulk head grommets first. What was really key though, was I had a friend pull all three hoses through the frunk, as I pushed the assembly up into position from inside the car. It would have been "much more difficult" had I not had an assistant. Luck was on my side that day, as he just happened to stop by the shop, just as I was about to begin routing the hoses. This (and mating the trans to the block) are the only times I've ever had a helper when working on the car. It was NICE!

Question: is there a particular recommended grease/lubricant to use on moving parts? I have silicone grease (for brake parts), lithium grease, some Red Line CV joint grease, and a spray can of dry silicone lube. I'm thinking maybe the CV joint grease?
Which moving parts do you want to lube? Things like the pedal pivots? Or things like the master and caliper pistons?

That's beautiful! Thank you.

And now, for something very ugly: I managed to get the old pedal box out of the car today. Content warning: rust, crust, and general awfulness. Do they always look this bad, or is mine just special?

View attachment 46857
View attachment 46858
View attachment 46859
View attachment 46860

Kinda surprising the pedals even worked, now that I can get a good look at everything.

Also, thanks to @Dr.Jeff on a different thread, who suggested snipping the hoses where they pass through the "firewall" (or whatever you call it in the frunk!). That made it much easier to pull the box out. It did involve leaving a snail-trail of fluid across the entire windshield-wiper channel when I pulled the reservoirs-plus-hoses. But I just dumped a bunch of degreaser down the middle where the latch is so it ran off in both directions, then chased that with about a gallon of water. It all seemed to wash down the drain holes on either side.

Not sure if you would be interested in a better pedal box to build from? I have the one off my '86 parts car that is in decent condition. Some rust on the top, but nothing like yours. $25 plus shipping. I will strip it down to whatever parts from it you want.
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG

Which moving parts do you want to lube? Things like the pedal pivots? Or things like the master and caliper pistons?

I was thinking the pedal pivots... Is it recommended to lube the pistons as well?

@Rodger thanks for the offer!!! That does look much better than mine. I already bought a refurbished box from MWB, though. If I hadn't, I'd be all over that. I may pull the aluminum blocks and short hard lines from mine, but that's it--everything else is going straight into the trash.

I was thinking the pedal pivots... Is it recommended to lube the pistons as well?
For the pivots you can use white grease or silicone grease. It really isn't critical. The masters and calipers pistons would be lubricated with brake fluid when they are being rebuilt/reassembled. I just wasn't sure what you were asking about so wanted to be clear.

Kept chipping away at the pedal box replacement today, with some more success. I got the new pedal box installed, and the new hoses run to the reservoirs. Thanks again for the tip on pulling the hoses through as I got the box into position, @Tom Ginefra ! My significant other earned some serious brownie points helping out as the puller. After that, I was so excited that I snugged everything down, filled the clutch reservoir, and cajoled the S.O. into coming *back* down to help bleed the clutch. (She's getting to be quite a pro.) Clutch is bled!

What dumb thing did I do this time? Well, I thought it would be much easier to bleed the system if I could at least get some fluid run into the cylinders. So I left the hard lines disconnected from the junction blocks and the clutch cylinder and started dumping fluid into the reservoirs. Sure enough, it started trickling out of all the orifices. My thought was that it would be super easy to just tighten the tube nuts down with minimal fluid running down my hands/all over. That thought was wrong. It was not easy. But it did get done.

Back