What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Looks gr
I finally finished repainting my engine cover and installed it today:

View attachment 50747

I decided not to install the rain tray for now. I think it looks better without it and the sound is improved from the dual DCNFs.

View attachment 50748

If I do install the rain tray, I plan to make it removeable without having to drill out 20 rivets. Since it is always parked indoors and has not been driven in the rain since 1995, I've got some time to deal with it.

Sorry for the tree shadows on the photos.
Looks great. What air filter is that, if you don't mind...?
BTW, I had that same antenna on my first '74.

Looks gr

Looks great. What air filter is that, if you don't mind...?
BTW, I had that same antenna on my first '74.
The air filter is made by Sprint Filter in Italy as is the intake manifold. It works well but I was supposed to be sent a washable filter element but instead they sent a paper element which is impossible to find. After having it long enough for the paper element to get dirty, I ended up cutting all the paper off the frame and replaced it with air filter foam (circa 1980). It works well. With the rain tray out, I could probably put a much taller element in if I can fabricate one.

I went for that antenna as I could not stand the looks of the A pillar antennas that came with the X radio kits that the dealers were installing back then. That also spared my dash from getting a big hole cut in the middle for the radio.

Weird. So you manually unlock and extend. Does it auto-lock when retracted? Engine cover looks really good btw
It auto locks when you push in all the way. The last couple inches are spring loaded when you push it in. When you stick the key in, it pops out a couple of inches. That is the state it is in for the above photo. When locked, the top of the antenna is flush with the top of the mount.

I decided not to install the rain tray for now. I think it looks better without it and the sound is improved from the dual DCNFs.
If I do install the rain tray, I plan to make it removeable without having to drill out 20 rivets. Since it is always parked indoors and has not been driven in the rain since 1995, I've got some time to deal with it.

That will improve cooling a lot. I even removed most of the splash shields to improve air flow. -There's a big vacuum created above the engine lid that will suck out hot air, and the rain tray is blocking that flow.

That will improve cooling a lot. I even removed most of the splash shields to improve air flow. -There's a big vacuum created above the engine lid that will suck out hot air, and the rain tray is blocking that flow.
I suppose if you go fast enough, it should increase down force as well since it should improve the evacuation of air under the car.

I suppose if you go fast enough, it should increase down force as well since it should improve the evacuation of air under the car.
My knowledge about aerodynamics is very limited, but I think the X1/9 is not very good in this matter for a couple of reasons. Bottom is not flat enough so splitters and diffusers will not add much to down force. The airflow behind the radiator is routed downwards under the car causing a lift at high speed. A better way would have been routing it upwards through the frunk (like Lotus and others). The vacuum above the engine lid is good for cooling but bad for down force. But this is just my theory, maybe someone with greater knowledge in aerodynamics can tell how it works.

Finished my rear vent and valance. If I ever fail to smile when looking at this project, I'll know my "cool" is broken.
0-2.jpg
0-3.jpg

Today I towed my sweet little Project X to my mechanic, a sure sign of distress. After spending last Saturday replacing cooling system hoses and thermostat, I refilled the system and fired it up to check for leaks. Well, I found one. Brand new coolant pouring out the exhaust pipe. I'm praying it's only a head gasket. Hope your day is better than mine.

Today I towed my sweet little Project X to my mechanic, a sure sign of distress. After spending last Saturday replacing cooling system hoses and thermostat, I refilled the system and fired it up to check for leaks. Well, I found one. Brand new coolant pouring out the exhaust pipe. I'm praying it's only a head gasket. Hope your day is better than mine.
Not so fast with the head gasket. There is a hole that lets coolant into the exhaust if the wrong thermostat gasket is used. Search on here for more info on the specifics.

Sounds like the wrong thermostat housing gasket that lacks the block off section for the air injection bore on carbed 1500s.

Last edited:
Depends on the year of your X. There are some threads discussing this problem with the thermostat housing and gaskets. Search for it.

Here is some info on the gasket issue.

AnthonyG_stat3.jpgAnthonyG_stat2.jpgAnthonyG_stat1.jpg

View attachment 50747

View attachment 50748

Looks great. I did that on my car years ago for the look.

1630024044491.png

Found that the alternator heat shield interferes with a '74 exhaust.

So I modified it to make it work

👍
The 74 used an asbestos covered heat shield that mounted on the rear firewall. Here is a photo of mine stripped down before painting:

X19 Alternator Heat Shield.jpg
You can see two of the tabs that bolt it to the rear firewall. I used stick on heat shield material to replace what was left of the asbestos.

I'd be a little concerned that the air intake is pulling in hot air right off the exhaust rather than a hose with outside air. Also, that pipe is really close to the exhaust so there may be a fair amount of conducted heat through that assembly and into the alternator. If you have a thermometer, it would be interesting to see if the alternator runs cooler with it or without it.

Back