What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Another CnC this morning. A lambo parked behind me but left early.
20220507_085815.jpg
The Italian section is down to one car now:cool:
20220507_084913.jpg

This S10 looks fun.
20220507_084059.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished my suspension/steering refurb. Last thing was to free up the tie rods so the alignment could be done. Shout out to Mavis Tire (formerly NTB). Scheduled with Pep Boys, but once they got it on the rack they told me they had no specs in the machine.. Same for Firestone Auto Care. Stopped in at Mavis since they weren't far & they took it right in with no appt. The staff was great. While I was waiting, an older gentleman stopped in from PA. He was looking for a specific tire. He had 2 flats on his trip & another Mavis had performed a repair for free so he stopped in to try to give them his business. Nice to see customer service isn't dead.

Drive….

A trip to the beach on Saturday, about 110 miles in total. Oregon has been have unseasonably cold weather and there was mixed snow and rain through the passes.

Sunday was trip to Wine Country for dinner. Sunny when we left home with the top off, Thundershowers
76BC01FC-A1F0-43E9-94AB-C69FFEAC3F55.jpeg
B1144260-15C9-41F0-B62A-1EC8C85983DF.jpeg
with hail in route. I explained to my (Leaf driving) partner that the faster one drove the drier it would be inside…

Leaving the restaurant around 9 the skies had cleared and the temp was 39F…The Leaf Driving partner suggested we complete the 50 mile journey home with the roof off….She’s a keeper!

Finally got my X out of winter storage. Apparently the last winter lasted 19 months, but I suppose that happens sometimes.

The immobilizer was grumpy and needed an extra reboot despite telling me everything was fine. (TODO: Remove the mid 90's alarm system).

I was sloppy and didn't notice that the rear left brake was slightly stuck during the drive home, causing a burnt caliper seal and melted grease. (TODO: Be less sloppy)
Untitled.png

Vicks auto. 8x15 zero offset.

Odie

You have (awesome) flares, is it a reasonable guess that these would stick out way past the stock bodywork?

You have (awesome) flares, is it a reasonable guess that these would stick out way past the stock bodywork?
225/45/15. On the front.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-161553_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-161553_Gallery.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 78
The immobilizer was grumpy and needed an extra reboot despite telling me everything was fine. (TODO: Remove the mid 90's alarm system).
Just the other day I was thinking about how add-on aftermarket "car alarms" were SOOOO popular throughout the 80's and 90's, but have since completely died out. Obviously newer cars all come with built-in alarm systems and other anti-theft devices. But with the collector car hobby being so strong, and so many vintage cars back on the roads, you would think there is still a need to protect them today. I read that auto theft overall is at a all time high. Especially with the advances in technology in the last 20-30 years, alarm products should work much better - and be much more effective - than they ever were back then.

Impressive, it fits without flares! Are you running coil overs?
They do not fit like Karl pointed out. We'll if you don't hit a bump (even a pebble) at all. No coilovers and 1/2 spacer to clear the struts. I am thinking with 205/50 (195 would stretch on the rim) with no spacer and coilovers would still be hanging out a bit. The rears are 245/40/15 and for sure needed the flares. Also the link you posted are the same size but not the exact ones I got. Looks like he doesn't offer the exact ones anymore

Odie

Well poo.... went for first longer drive (others were 3 blocks to convince store) and it has an overheating issue again. No coolant that I can see on the ground and doesn't smell like any leaked. Sitting in a parking lot waiting for it to cool down to 180. I get about 1.5 miles before 220. Glad Hondas can take the heat. Hoping it's an air bubble but thinking head gasket. :( who knows.

Odie without a drivable fiat

1979 x19 with honda b16 #hurting
1978 124 spider #pretty much disassembled

Well poo.... went for first longer drive (others were 3 blocks to convince store) and it has an overheating issue again. No coolant that I can see on the ground and doesn't smell like any leaked. Sitting in a parking lot waiting for it to cool down to 180. I get about 1.5 miles before 220. Glad Hondas can take the heat. Hoping it's an air bubble but thinking head gasket. :( who knows.

Odie without a drivable fiat

1979 x19 with honda b16 #hurting
1978 124 spider #pretty much disassembled
The chain parts stores will loan you a cooling system pressure tester. Start with that.

Do you have an infrared non-contact thermometer? If so, check hose temps at the inlet and outlet of the rad, and also at the engine. Report back.

Do you ever hear rad fans? They should come on by 220.

Can you post a diagram of the cooling system---I have no idea what you would have done to adapt the B motor to the exxie chassis.

The chain parts stores will loan you a cooling system pressure tester. Start with that.

Do you have an infrared non-contact thermometer? If so, check hose temps at the inlet and outlet of the rad, and also at the engine. Report back.

Do you ever hear rad fans? They should come on by 220.

Can you post a diagram of the cooling system---I have no idea what you would have done to adapt the B motor to the exxie chassis.
Will post a diagram a little later. I have a pressure tester (did hold pressure when I took the cap off) scary part is I will be using my leakdown tester next. Yeah... about a gallon short. No leaks, no smoke. Oil change, leak down test next.

Odie

Will post a diagram a little later. I have a pressure tester (did hold pressure when I took the cap off) scary part is I will be using my leakdown tester next. Yeah... about a gallon short. No leaks, no smoke. Oil change, leak down test next.

Odie
Remind me, was it you that had difficulty getting the Honda engine cooling system to function in the X, or was that one the K20 guys?

Did you recently refill the cooling system? If so, did you open the tap at the top of the rad to bleed air from the system after starting the engine? If not, the air may be trapped and coolant will not circulate.

Yes he was one of the two folks who had an issue with the B Series cooling and piping. Honda piping to all the elements in the system is notably complex and hard to parse out what port leads to what. The K series are much simpler in many ways.
Remind me, was it you that had difficulty getting the Honda engine cooling system to function in the X, or was that one the K20 guys?

You are recalling this thread. There was another from a gent in England I haven’t tracked down. He did participate in Odie’s thread.

Last edited:
Back