What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

CENTER CAPS you the rescue! Got them on Amazon for $20 and just needed to Dremel some relief spaces for the lug nuts. They are tension fit.
IMG_20230117_134138_Bokeh.jpg

Still waiting for the big MWB and O'Reilleys clutch slave cylinder to arrive order but today got LEDs and box from Rob B (https://sites.google.com/view/budzinsk-fiat-parts/home) with great tailight, correct badge and beer tap knob which I'll proudly display, somewhere outside the car :)
Replaced the inop brake pedal switch (before the masters were replaced dripping fluid must have killed it) and WHOA the LEDs are nice and bright!
Going to polish up the lenses and psych myself for the bigger, dirtier jobs coming next: brake and clutch bleed, shifter connection R&R and adjust, oil change, re-finish air filter housing, and repaint the wheels after blasting.
Something I noted while in the footwell, the brake pedal doesn't return all the way up. About 1" short at the pedal. Normal, or a weak return spring? THX
Image2267839062806862289.jpgImage9167291530236457753.jpgImage333338513942318174.jpgImage1948432263386185801.jpgImage1784853034317071247.jpg

Something I noted while in the footwell, the brake pedal doesn't return all the way up. About 1" short at the pedal. Normal, or a weak return spring?

I had a similar problem. Most likely the spring itself is probably fine, but it's trying to overcome too much resistance, due to corrosion between the pedal's pivot and the plastic bushing that surrounds it. If my hunch is right, fixing it will require disassembly/cleaning/lubricating of the pedal box. If you search "Pedal Box" you'll find some well-written accounts of refurbishing it.

Still waiting for the big MWB and O'Reilleys clutch slave cylinder to arrive order but today got LEDs and box from Rob B (https://sites.google.com/view/budzinsk-fiat-parts/home) with great tailight, correct badge and beer tap knob which I'll proudly display, somewhere outside the car :)
Replaced the inop brake pedal switch (before the masters were replaced dripping fluid must have killed it) and WHOA the LEDs are nice and bright!
Going to polish up the lenses and psych myself for the bigger, dirtier jobs coming next: brake and clutch bleed, shifter connection R&R and adjust, oil change, re-finish air filter housing, and repaint the wheels after blasting.
Something I noted while in the footwell, the brake pedal doesn't return all the way up. About 1" short at the pedal. Normal, or a weak return spring? THX
View attachment 69776View attachment 69777View attachment 69778View attachment 69779View attachment 69780
I found that after I rebuilt my peddle box that the peeddle would not return all the way as well. Short like yours, it wasn't till after I bleed the brakes that it worked normally. It needs teh additional return force of the break master cylinder to return all the way. Here is my write up on the box rebuild.

I found that after I rebuilt my peddle box that the peeddle would not return all the way as well. Short like yours, it wasn't till after I bleed the brakes that it worked normally. It needs teh additional return force of the break master cylinder to return all the way. Here is my write up on the box rebuild.

thanks I'll be flushing/bleeding the brakes over the next week or two and we'll see how it goes. The fluid that likely killed the switch probably didn't do the pedal bushings any good...
O'Reilly slave cylinder arrived. Made in Italy so it must be the real thing :D
20230118_192051.jpg

Do you have a tire changer? HF has their manual tool on clearance right now. Get the bubble balancer too and you are really prepared for summer. :) I have done a few sets with these tools so far and had really good results.
I have both of those. There are some great upgrade mods you can do to the changer that make a big improvement. Look online. However it does have limitations. Really old tires that have been on a rim forever are very difficult to remove and this tool might not be enough. And certain types of rims don't work well on it. But with the right techniques it will work for most applications.

Do you have a tire changer? HF has their manual tool on clearance right now. Get the bubble balancer too and you are really prepared for summer. :) I have done a few sets with these tools so far and had really good results.
All sounds so tempting but I am working out of a car and a half garage which is pretty full already. I have to be careful what I put in it. The company that powder coated the wheels is going to mount the tires.

what size rims/tires and where'd you get them?
Tires are Summer performance 185/60/13. Got them from

It's a Turkish made tire that received good rating from other sites. Very reasonable price and free delivery.

Mounting them on a 5.5" wide rim.

Tires are Summer performance 185/60/13. Got them from

It's a Turkish made tire that received good rating from other sites. Very reasonable price and free delivery.

Mounting them on a 5.5" wide rim.
ooooh wish I had seen these before buying 165/70 Waterfall (also Turkish brand, supposedly worked closely with Pirelli) for the 5.5" CD-16s I'm redoing.
eh if I hate them I'm only out $150... it'll definitely have more period-correct grip than the Petla 185/65s lol

side note: just received 4x195/55R20 Momo tires from Priority for my BMW i3. 1/4 the price of OEM Bridgestones!

All sounds so tempting but I am working out of a car and a half garage which is pretty full already. I have to be careful what I put in it. The company that powder coated the wheels is going to mount the tires.
You are a newbie with x19. Half the garage is something sounding more like "half-empty". Soon, it will be ALL the garage and part of the basement. But try to avoid the kitchen. If you want to keep your wife, it should help...:rolleyes:

ooooh wish I had seen these before buying 165/70 Waterfall (also Turkish brand, supposedly worked closely with Pirelli) for the 5.5" CD-16s I'm redoing.
eh if I hate them I'm only out $150... it'll definitely have more period-correct grip than the Petla 185/65s lol

side note: just received 4x195/55R20 Momo tires from Priority for my BMW i3. 1/4 the price of OEM Bridgestones!
Ya, period correct is low on my list :). I like to build the car out to be the best it can be and increase reliability. Of course everything I switch out I saved incase period correct is important for the next owner. Hopefully these tires will be as good as I hope, they were rate high for handling but proof of the pudding is in the eating which is next spring.

For $150 you definitely will not lose out.

Priority did a nice job with the order, I would defuntly buy from them again.

You are a newbie with x19. Half the garage is something sounding more like "half-empty". Soon, it will be ALL the garage and part of the basement. But try to avoid the kitchen. If you want to keep your wife, it should help...:rolleyes:
I have a friend who said he has never seen a garage more maximized with space utilization. There is barely a spot without a shelve, rack, tool or some type of gear. Always looking to squeeze out that next square footage. Creating it is almost as much fun as working in it. 😆

I had to take a look at the "Priority Tire" website. I haven't purchased new tires online for a very long time and "The Tire Rack" was the go-to place back then. So Priority was new to me. The actual site is a bit wonky and they seem to carry a lot of very odd brands. But the selection is good and the prices also seem good (I'm not really current on tire pricing). One thing I did not notice is easy to view ratings for each tire choice (i.e. speed, tread wear, traction, temp, load).

I have noticed over the past several years at trade shows that the tire market has gone through a evolution of sorts. From a handful of very well known brands from Japan, USA, France, and Italy that had been in existence for ever, to a lot of Chinese brands, to a slew of small brands from all over the world. Places like India, Russia, Vietnam, Turkey, Egypt, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, Poland, Romania, Brazil. Now the market is flooded with those little brand names I've never heard of and know zero about. So it is difficult to know if the quality is any good.

I had to take a look at the "Priority Tire" website. I haven't purchased new tires online for a very long time and "The Tire Rack" was the go-to place back then. So Priority was new to me. The actual site is a bit wonky and they seem to carry a lot of very odd brands. But the selection is good and the prices also seem good (I'm not really current on tire pricing). One thing I did not notice is easy to view ratings for each tire choice (i.e. speed, tread wear, traction, temp, load).

I have noticed over the past several years at trade shows that the tire market has gone through a evolution of sorts. From a handful of very well known brands from Japan, USA, France, and Italy that had been in existence for ever, to a lot of Chinese brands, to a slew of small brands from all over the world. Places like India, Russia, Vietnam, Turkey, Egypt, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, Poland, Romania, Brazil. Now the market is flooded with those little brand names I've never heard of and know zero about. So it is difficult to know if the quality is any good.
They seem a newer company on the web and are trying to build a customer base, they were very good with communications. They do sell some older tires and will state when they were manufacture if older. I found the tire ratings at other sites, not there's. The tires have the DOT approval but I have not found the standard US rating. They do have a EU rating sticker.

I think as the bigger guys focus more on the mainstream it creates a niche for these small operators. Some are good some not. Right now there is an Indonesian tire out there in the 185/60/13 size but it is rated poorly. Time will tell if these are any good. I'll be sure to let the group know.

They seem a newer company on the web and are trying to build a customer base, they were very good with communications. They do sell some older tires and will state when they were manufacture if older. I found the tire ratings at other sites, not there's. The tires have the DOT approval but I have not found the standard US rating. They do have a EU rating sticker.

I think as the bigger guys focus more on the mainstream it creates a niche for these small operators. Some are good some not. Right now there is an Indonesian tire out there in the 185/60/13 size but it is rated poorly. Time will tell if these are any good. I'll be sure to let the group know.
I didn't even look, is "Priority" in the US or elsewhere? Your statement: "The tires have the DOT approval but I have not found the standard US rating. They do have a EU rating sticker" makes me ask that.

I didn't even look, is "Priority" in the US or elsewhere? Your statement: "The tires have the DOT approval but I have not found the standard US rating. They do have a EU rating sticker" makes me ask that.
HQ in PA with warehouses in TX and FL. Shipping was quick.

Had the ‘75 X on the lift so adjusted the E brake, fixed (so far, anyway) a slight leak at the passenger side axle seal and changed out the cam pulley to a slotted one with a stop on the back side. When I got rid of the air pump I installed a Yugo (?) pulley but never felt comfortable without something to keep the belt from walking too far back.

Back