What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Great looking wheels, Pete

The tires, I don't get that thread pattern but I guess you chose well.
Would be shame to get them dirty on the road, wouldn't it?
Enjoy

The tires, I don't get that thread pattern but I guess you chose well.
Would be shame to get them dirty on the road, wouldn't it?
Enjoy
The tread pattern is for rain channeling and, uh, legal purposes. The grooves are also quieter at an angle. For a tire that is all about cornering, the more solid the rubber (less grooves) the better the adhesion. Grooves and sipes on a dry surface impair adhesion due to more tread flex.

I got Big Bird back

after having some body work done and a new paint job. Just not sure what to do with the bumpers.....paint 'em black or rip out and do a bumper mod. Next step is the interior as the seats, carpets, and especially the dash (see 4th photo dash damage) need work. Here's how the old Bird is lookin' now. One step at a time we're getting there.

Mike
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050363.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050365.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050364.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050366.jpg

after having some body work done and a new paint job. Just not sure what to do with the bumpers.....paint 'em black or rip out and do a bumper mod. Next step is the interior as the seats, carpets, and especially the dash (see 4th photo dash damage) need work. Here's how the old Bird is lookin' now. One step at a time we're getting there.

Mike
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050363.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050365.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050364.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/mbusman04/P1050366.jpg
looking pretty good. just my opinion though. ditch the hub caps ASAP!! Nothing wrong with rocking steelies.

replaced alternator/water pump belt. after struggleing with the 'correct belt" went and got one a bit longer, barely able to coax it on the pulleys. After researching it seems this is done by others. I think the only way to get the right one on is to remove something? Like the whole alternator?
Put rubber pad on clutch pedal, never had one, foot slippage can be bad. Replaced rear trunk release cable with braided from Bayless. Had a hard time getting it threaded through the lever, finally opened it up a tad with bit on the Dremel. Was afraid the slightly frayed end would catch getting snaked through so soldered it then trimmed it into a nice chisel sharp point. Got through fine. Remember to ensure the outer casing is secured at both mounting points on either end. Seems to work well, haven't dared shut the trunk yet. Will test extensively tomorrow before shutting trunk. Oh yeah, replaced spark plug wires with set from Bayless. They were all longer than they needed to be by quite a bit, longer than what I took off, a bit too long IMHO.
Also fiddled with wet cold start injector. I thought it was fuel from between the plastic part and the metal housing but may have been at the hose connection after all. Took apart and re-clamped a few times. Seems to have settled it. Same issue with hard line junction to hose connection; fuel seeping at that junction. Might just be in the clear from fuel leakage. That'd be nice. Good day's work.

add additional 8 gauge wire from battery to fuse box

I did it as suggested by Bob Brown, now I have less current draw when I turn my blinker and my wipers (but I still notice some) It cured 50% the problem.:guitar:

The wheels are on the priority list somewhere

as the previous owner(s) painted them black. When I have the time, I'll look at refinishing vs. new wheels. At the moment, I'm 1 year into the restoration and have been focusing on the mechanical end big time so far. That's why the paint & body work were just done now and the interior comes next. I don't want to curse myself, but I think I'm at the point where I can use the words "FIAT" and "reliable" in the same sentence.

Best regards,

Mike

I did something similar

a little ways back, George. For me, Bob recommended a #10 wire from the battery to the fuse block and also to replace the battery ground wire with a #4, however, I ran a #4 in parallel with the existing to the chassis at a different point of connection. Like you, I did notice an improvement on the battery voltage gauge, however, it's still not 100%. Probably need to get around to the headlight relay mod one of these days.

Mike

27 Nov. 2010 - What Did I Do Today?....

...fired her up for the first time!

Blue 1980 5-speed. Picked her up last August for $200 with all of her faults and was told she hadn't been started in a number of years. The radiator had been pulled out (and torn up) in a previous attempt to tow her by attaching the tow line to the radiator bracket. The brake pedal went to the floor without effort and the ignition switch had been attacked by a chisel. But she was cheap and had the best body I'd seen for the price.

So, after a couple of months replacing the bearings, brakes, ignition switch, speedo cable, radiator, and other assorted bits, as well as giving her an oil change and some new coolant, the moment of truth came.

I wanted to see if she'd even turn over, so I didn't add any clean gas to the 1/8 tank already there. She fired-up on the third cranking attempt! And then, seeming to spite me, gas spewed from the cold-start line all over the rear lid. That line was quickly replaced. She ran well, but rough, and the exhaust smells of gas. I'm not sure if one of the cylinders is firing, so I replaced all the plugs and plan to replace the wires in the near future. The Chilton book has the wrong firing sequence, which was soon discovered, but the WF helped me make things right.

I'll probably fill up her tank with some clean fuel, and then she'll probably need to go back to sleep until spring is here. I may post a fuller account on the WF since I still have many questions and few answers.

...fired her up for the first time!

Blue 1980 5-speed. Picked her up last August for $200 with all of her faults and was told she hadn't been started in a number of years. The radiator had been pulled out (and torn up) in a previous attempt to tow her by attaching the tow line to the radiator bracket. The brake pedal went to the floor without effort and the ignition switch had been attacked by a chisel. But she was cheap and had the best body I'd seen for the price.

So, after a couple of months replacing the bearings, brakes, ignition switch, speedo cable, radiator, and other assorted bits, as well as giving her an oil change and some new coolant, the moment of truth came.

I wanted to see if she'd even turn over, so I didn't add any clean gas to the 1/8 tank already there. She fired-up on the third cranking attempt! And then, seeming to spite me, gas spewed from the cold-start line all over the rear lid. That line was quickly replaced. She ran well, but rough, and the exhaust smells of gas. I'm not sure if one of the cylinders is firing, so I replaced all the plugs and plan to replace the wires in the near future. The Chilton book has the wrong firing sequence, which was soon discovered, but the WF helped me make things right.

I'll probably fill up her tank with some clean fuel, and then she'll probably need to go back to sleep until spring is here. I may post a fuller account on the WF since I still have many questions and few answers.

Awesome!! congrats!! now all you have left to do is post pics or video ;)

Hey Tony...

Its been awhile since I've seen you post... hope all is well.

A couple of things... Can you write up a sticky or give us some insight on how we can support or use the BEST OF WIKI system. I sure would like to see that better utilized... Don't mean to cause you a bunch of work... but it would be a great contribution to this site, and mankind overall!

Yes, I admit my online presence has been a bit slack of late. A new girlfriend kind of ate up all my time at the expense of my X1/9 :wink2:

The good news is that the X played an important role in the whole story and has covered about 20,000 KMs in the last 6 months (with trips to Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and Austria). The bad news is that my cellar is full of projects which are "on hold". Still, using an X from time to time can be more fun that working on it!

Even poor old Ulix has had to wait ages for his promised programmable ignition system and he is virtually a neighbor by Australian standards (Munich to Stuttgart is only 200Kms).

As for the Wiki, yes of course. I just read about Mac yesterday and have not yet come up with any words which would be appropriate. I'm as stunned as everyone else.

Mac helped me so much in setting up the Wiki and providing plenty of positive encouragement. With so many Internet forums, there are territorial battles, hostility or arrogance but such was not the case here: thanks to Mac.

I figure that the best thing I can do to honor his memory to get to work on the Wiki and ensure that other members are using it (to consult and to contribute) as much as possible.

Cheers,
Dom.

I worked on the dash/instrument panel,

left handed, of course. :brow:

Pulled all the bulb holders, pulled the bulbs, took a brass brush to the bulb holders, a scotch-brite pad to the dash (carefully) where they connect. Greased the bulbs and the copper around the holes with dielectric grease & put it all back together. Nice to have all the lights back!
- Mike

Dom... Good to have you back...

Congrats on the new friend... and YES... the WIKI project would be a great way to not only help us... but honor Mac! Great idea.

Yak atcha later...

Today's work

Today I fixed a coolant leak coming from the tensioner bearing stud, and while I had everything apart mounted my shiny new adjustable cam pulley, 36 tooth wheeled crank pulley, Installed the EDIS trigger and mount (all from millers mule in preparation for my megasquirt/EDIS install) complete with new tensioner bearing and timing belt :D

Drove to 40 Hills Road

I heard that 40 Hills Road on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario Canada had been paved so I went to drive it. (For a peek, Google maps: "fourty hills road") It has many curves and of course, hills.

When I got there I found that it has not been paved, and is still dirt, and mud, and slush. I did not drive it.

Great 90 mile drive on back roads though.

Paul Davock

Last edited:
12-5-10

Today I finally got around to removing Mike G's exhaust, along with everything else that is attached to the head and even managed to loosen that via the 'rope trick'. Tomorrow the plan is to actually remove the head, clean and ship Mikes exhaust and clean and ship the intake and carb I sold on eBay. I'm also planning to tidy up the engine bay a little and prepare it to be painted along with the block and few other parts. Wish me good luck.

Back