What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Not today, but yesterday I drove it :).... 12 hrs strait!!

Day before... drove it roughly 5 hrs

Day before that.... drove it 13hrs!!

Not so much as a hiccup!

Attachments

• 20170401_171000.jpg
    20170401_171000.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 103
Not today, but yesterday I drove it :).... 12 hrs strait!!

Day before... drove it roughly 5 hrs

Day before that.... drove it 13hrs!!

Not so much as a hiccup!

Awesome! I have not been to Pilly in years but anytime I am in any city larger than 600 I feel like I have to drive that long just to find parking! Ha! Where did you go? Just extended shakedown? Reminds me of traveling home on leave and change of duty station... I did that several times with my X jam packed years before cell phone!!! Great cars indeed!!!
Regards

Awesome! I have not been to Pilly in years but anytime I am in any city larger than 600 I feel like I have to drive that long just to find parking! Ha! Where did you go? Just extended shakedown? Reminds me of traveling home on leave and change of duty station... I did that several times with my X jam packed years before cell phone!!! Great cars indeed!!!
Regards
I stored the car for winter, at my parents house in New Bern NC. We visited them for a few days before heading to Townsend TN to meet up with Brett M for Fiats on the Dragon. Then from Townsend to Philly :)

Well today (and I'l throw in the past 7 days as well since there's a lot)

(Over the past 7 days in no particular order)
-Replaced front brake calipers, brakets, and pads,
-Replaced rear brake pads, bleeder screws.
-Flushed the brake hydraulics
-Replaced entire throttle cable
-Replaced frunk cable
-Replcaed trunk cable
-Installed Fuel rail blower motor ducting (missing all bolts and rubber duct)
-Replaced door weather stripping
-Replaced shattered drivers window + adjusted passenger window height
-Replaced broken passenger power window switch
-Replaced diodes on back of headlight motors
-Replaced turn signal bulbs
-Properly secured passenger headlight (removed the twig that was holding it in place)
-Installed rear bumper
-Installed a starter motor relay
-Replaced Rotted fuel lines
-Fixed frunk and trunk alignment + tightened trunk rack
-Bolted down passenger seat (was only held in with one bolt)

(Today)
-Replace drivers side CV joint bolts that walked out/snapped
-Brown Wire Mod and/or alternator wiring/alternator if BWM doesn't fix low voltage issues
-Replace Passenger front bumper trim
-Open/Repair jammed glove box

(Soon)
-Grind/Weld/Repair All rust + repaint

Goal is to have the car mechanically sound and on the road by this weekend - and all the rust nuetralized+patched and painted in 1-2 months.

Reversing entropy is hard.

(This weekend will hopefully be a minor engine overhaul on the MR2 . . . provided parts come in time.)

Well maybe not today, but last Friday took the X to the dyno to be tuned. Over the winter I took out the motor and tranny and upgraded the engine to a b20 vtec. Basically a 2 liter B series engine. I also swapped out the fifth gear of the tranny to a lower gear from a civic ls. Fifth gear is now about the same ratio as sixth gear in a k20 swap. Much nicer when cruising at highway speeds. In theory, my car can go 188 mph in 5th gear at 8500 rpm. I'm going to verify that shortly. :) Anyway, 205 whp at the dyno which equates to approx. 225 at the flywheel. Still to go are a better intake and upgraded cams once I recover from all the money I spent building the motor to this point! The extra torque is awesome and I now use 2nd gear to take off from stops more often than 1st.

AtTheDyno.jpg

Awesome!! Mine (only a b16) should be on the road next week! FInally!!!! I am strongly thinking of doing the b20/vtec build next. going to pick your brain...Which b20 did you use? b20b or b20v? did you use the eagle conversion kit? what pistons (if you even swapped them out) did you do the rod bolts? questions, questions, questions..... of course I would love to see a video of it using all those ponies :)

Odie

I used a b20z block as the basis. The alternative is to sleeve your existing b block but that's a grand or more right there. Wiseco 11.3:1 pistons, Eagle rods, golden eagle conversion kit, Cometic head gasket, ARP head and rod bolts, RDX injectors. Not a cheap build by any means and it could have been done for less but I wanted it reliable from the get go. I used the head, intake, cams and exhaust from my b18c. There is tons of info on the web about doing this conversion and it's really pretty straight forward. Oh and Hondata S300 for the tune. I know this is a Fiat forum so forgive me for ricing it up a bit!

that is what I wanted to hear! it is one of those things that looked so straight forward, I wanted to hear it from someone I know and trust. what I see so far, is it will be cheaper, or at worst, close to the dame price after I am done as a JDM type R. but the JDM will not be a 0 mile engine. I am really hoping the b16 I am putting in on monday is a good engine to allow me the time to do the next build. The original engine that I put in spun a bearing while I was backing it out of the garage for the first time. This engine I have never heard started. but we did a quicky teardown, checked bearing, and cylinder walls, leakdown, and it looks good, but we shall see monday after I swap it out. Still on the fence on the B20 whether to do NA or a light (less than 10 PSI) turbo build. but thanks for your input. it was EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Odie

Replaced the fuel filter and put double clamps on the hoses..... What a pain to deal with the stock air filter box... Also had a hard time disposing of the old filter at any local gas station...

Replaced the fuel filter and put double clamps on the hoses..... What a pain to deal with the stock air filter box... Also had a hard time disposing of the old filter at any local gas station...
ED I changed mine out you need to take the stock air filter box out it takes 5 min and makes it much easier. Also wait a week after you ran the car and all the gas pressure is released I did mine right after winter and not a drop of gas came out. I took it to a firestone here in Carlisle and they took it for me.
best
Brian

Wife has been asking about a radio for her X (we purchased an 84 here on xweb that had been stripped for the purpose of autocross)

She has been driving every day but want's some none car noise in the car as well

5 24 17 033.JPG
5 24 17 035.JPG

Not sure how we bent this but she was able to straighten it back out.
5 24 17 029.JPG

I am sure I am not the only one to have their X looking like this.

5 24 17 031.JPG

thought about installing the key ignition switch at the same time But want to also install relay's and I don't have any right now. So we just remained with the toggle switch and push button.

5 24 17 2 002.JPG

We looked at putting the speakers in the door but clearances were tight. And we still need to get internals for the windows/inside door open lever. Right now she has a different colored door on the driver side. Much easier to open the door from the inside. And with the no stock center console, this location seemed to work ok. My leg rests on the cover when I drive but is not uncomfortable.
5 24 17 2 003.JPG
5 24 17 2 004.JPG
She has already thought about making/finding something to cover the speakers in the read deck lid as the aftermarkets did not come with covers for this size.

Attachments

• 5 24 17 2 001.JPG
    5 24 17 2 001.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 5 24 17 2 005.JPG
    5 24 17 2 005.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 89
We (or I should more accurately say) she changed the throttle cable on her X1/9 today.
5 26 17 001.JPG

she got to see what it is like to be on the floor bent in 1/2.
5 26 17 012.JPG
5 26 17 003.JPG

Old parts pile. Still sitting their need to clean up tomorrow.
5 26 17 004.JPG

Need to get some good pictures of the engine side.

We used a bicycle brake cable instead of the stock setup. I did order one and have it somewhere but I am very happy with the bicycle cable and both cars (did mine about a year ago) Both outer housings were in great shape. (mine failed at the engine end) (I got lucky and the throttle stuck at a reasonable speed and I drove it home at a set throttle) (her's snapped at the foot feed and fell to an idle. she called a tow truck).

We had it running the next day and had lunch with another x1/9 owner in Town

5 26 17 013.JPG

Attachments

• 5 26 17 006.JPG
    5 26 17 006.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 5 26 17 007.JPG
    5 26 17 007.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 5 26 17 010.JPG
    5 26 17 010.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 5 26 17 011.JPG
    5 26 17 011.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 5 26 17 005.JPG
    5 26 17 005.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 111
That was talked about on the original post as well.

PO said they were the turbo vain manual controls

I asked if they were the heater controls. (turns out I was right)

I have seen dune buggies put steering breaks (two levers one for each rear wheel)

I bet it would add a LOT of busy work for the driver trying to keep track of when/how much to yank on the single wheel.

Back