What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Drove the new X around the neighborhood, got several nice waves and a I love your car from a group of young girls.

The brake pedal is sticking and the pressure builds a little lower on the pedal than I would like. All in all a successful trip.

Need to order a new lollipop to adjust the transmission. Among several dozen other things...

Finally backed the X out of garage from winter holding pattern. Washed down, dried it and got ready to take it for a ride! UHHHG, Big dark rain cloud appears from NW. My wife laughed, as I put it back in garage. Oh well, there will always be tomorrow, we will see:rolleyes:

Finally backed the X out of garage from winter holding pattern. Washed down, dried it and got ready to take it for a ride! UHHHG, Big dark rain cloud appears from NW. My wife laughed, as I put it back in garage. Oh well, there will always be tomorrow, we will see:rolleyes:

Didn't you just wash it? Wasn't it wet already? :)

I am still fishing old dry California leaves out of the air vents as they work their way out over the years. At least all the old dry humongous Cali pine needles and spiders seem to be gone! I took the X to a local tire guy and had the wheels balanced. One of the CD 91 rims was bent somewhat so we switched a tire on the spare, because the spare had a better rim. Wheel shimmy at 55 MPH drastically improved. Also, I replaced the cracked right rear brake lens with a nice used lens from Midwest Bayless. I replaced aftermarket window crank handles with one NOS brown plastic handle from Midwest Bayless, (after losing the spring clip twice and searching all over the garage floor, LOL) and a nice used one from Bob Grasch. I'm trying to keep the appearance mostly stock. Thanks to all the vendors I buy from for these great parts. Reggie the Wedgie looks better and better.

Took the X down to the body shop so that they can match the existing paint for refinishing the targa top. They did the camera/scanner routine and then came up with a formula last visit; this visit was to put three spray-out cards next to the car in the sunlight to see which was the best match.

I could tell one of the three was ever so teenie-tiny bit slightly too dark, but if you would have put a gun to my head I would not have been able to tell the difference between the other two and the existing paint on the car. Yet the shop owner and the painter were instantly in agreement that one of the remaining two that I could not tell apart from the paint on the car was the best match possible. Yet another example of leaving certain jobs up to experienced professionals!

Unfortunately, upon arrival and getting out of the car something snapped in my inside door handle linkage and now the inside handle does not open the door! <Sigh> 30 year old Italian plastic :-(

Took the X down to the body shop so that they can match the existing paint for refinishing the targa top. They did the camera/scanner routine and then came up with a formula last visit; this visit was to put three spray-out cards next to the car in the sunlight to see which was the best match.

I could tell one of the three was ever so teenie-tiny bit slightly too dark, but if you would have put a gun to my head I would not have been able to tell the difference between the other two and the existing paint on the car. Yet the shop owner and the painter were instantly in agreement that one of the remaining two that I could not tell apart from the paint on the car was the best match possible. Yet another example of leaving certain jobs up to experienced professionals!

Unfortunately, upon arrival and getting out of the car something snapped in my inside door handle linkage and now the inside handle does not open the door! <Sigh> 30 year old Italian plastic :-(
Dan
Just remember, "If it were not for bad days how could we appreciate the good ones! At least you enjoyed the problem free drive to body shop.

Stoney

washed her last night- took her in for an alignment today- reasonable despite the coilovers, apparently I got her close, only took an hour and a half; drives nice after, though not taken to expressway speeds yet; under $100.

Jeff

Opened the back boot.
Last owner had it restore in body shop, guys over there didn't put it back right (plus the emergency cable), and i got it with a close trunk...
Tried to get inside from down under - closed by a metal panel.
Tried to push out the hinge pin - amlost no access and potential damage.

So i just drill it :eek:
Took measures from the engine bonnet locker, thought that Fiat will use the same lock for the trunk as well,
took a chance and made a 3mm hole in the middle, 7.3mm beneath the door seal.
Played a little bit with a thin screwdriver and it's opened!
Pluged back the cable and fittings, they where just laying there. Painted the inside of the hole, and that's it :)

It's been a while since I posted on XWeb. I retired and bought a 1980 124 spider 2000 down in Florida. I haven't touched my X in over a year (it's been in a garage in New Hampshire).
I finally had time to wrench the X and installed a pair of 36 DCNF's. I had a hard time tuning them, but after tearing apart and cleaning each carb, and fixing a bunch of vacuum leaks, The car runs like a champ. So the latest things I have done to my X is to install Vick's coil overs a year ago (dropped it an inch), all new suspension bushings, and the DCNF's. The last two days I've been carving up the backroads of southern New Hampshire and having a blast.
Next project; the seats. Has anyone used the covers offered on ebay from Iggee?

Sounds busy to me and a lot of fun.

There was a recent thread about using them, they looked quite good when they were posted. I will have a look around to see if I can find the thread.

Karl

Took the X out for second time this week. This time it did not have to be brought back on a tow truck! Ran perfectly! :):D:)

Congrats!

I drove my "new" one today as well and although it didn't go anywhere near perfectly, it did run reasonably well, stopped more or less properly and handled decently. Best of all I didn't need to call a tow truck. Still far to go...

Congrats!

I drove my "new" one today as well and although it didn't go anywhere near perfectly, it did run reasonably well, stopped more or less properly and handled decently. Best of all I didn't need to call a tow truck. Still far to go...
That is always a good feeling

Had my X to freeway left lane speed today; a little surface trembling but drove nicely @ 70+; this an update from alignment June 23- first time in 3yr ownership she's gone that fast- Not bad, my '74 liked 70mph (in about 1981).

Today I got halfway to dropping the transmission in my x/19, photo documenting the whole way. This is the third time I have had transmission issues in the past year. I'm getting pretty good at dropping and Re-Installing it. First issue was having to replace the Speedo drive since the cable snapped off inside. I wasn't able to remove it without dropping the transmission. The second time occurred a week later after getting the new cable strung along and installed, I must have not tightened the Drive's retaining bolt enough because as I installed the cable, the drive fell INTO the transmission. locking it up completely. No amount of magnet-on-a-stick was getting this out. SO Transmission drop #2. Had to disassemble the whole case to get the drive out. During re-assembly I must have messed something up because the car is now stuck in gear permanently. SO cue drop #3, to have a poke at what went wrong.

I ruled out the shifting linkage and clutch mechanism, it has to be internal. It drove just fine for 30 miles before locking into gear.
But now I have two Speedo drives that are cool to look at, one with hardened steel cable stuck inside, the other with a few teeth chewed off from wiggle during the tow back home. Once this job is done I should have a pretty comprehensive guide for removing everything in the way of the Transmission and the unit itself. I will post that when it is completed!

.....This is the third time I have had......issues in the past year. I'm getting pretty good at dropping and Re-Installing it........I must have not tightened the Drive's retaining bolt enough because as I installed the cable, the drive fell INTO the transmission. locking it up completely. No amount of magnet-on-a-stick was getting this out..........During re-assembly I must have messed something up.........Once this job is done I should have a pretty comprehensive guide for removing everything in the way...........

If it is any consolation, surgeons say the same thing to each other behind closed doors.:eek:

Back