What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

IMG_0220.JPG

I installed new wheels and tires, bought a new battery and put a new velocity stack on the carb.

The wheels fill the wells nicely. Some info please on wheel and tire size. Were any spacers used?
BTW, nice X.

Hi Joe, I did install lowering springs many years ago. Wheels are 15" with 195/50 in front and 205/50 in rear w/o any spacers. I did have to make some modifications to get the wheels to fit in front i.e. dremel a tiny bit off the spring stand (to prevent rubbing) and pulled out the bottom-front of the wheel well (to get full turning radius) I just had all four tires balanced on Sunday and took her out on I-75 and she ran so smooth and strong at high speeds. She's been modified subtly...racing cam, higher compression pistons, oil cooler, electric ignition, 40 DCNF, put in larger 1.5l w/5 speed. I added push button start and secret audio with sub, interior all black, shortened shifter.

I do have some rattles in the rear somewhere. Any idea how to search and get rid of those?

Hey Mike, As far as the rattle goes...just a few thoughts; when installing the springs, did you replace the rear bushings? Rattles can emanate from the exhaust system suspension, and of course, loose stuff in the rear trunk.

Took delivery of this 74 - a twin, black with orange interior, of the 74 I had as a young guy. Story of this car is that it supposedly was the Fiat show car at the 74 Los Angeles Auto Show. My car was the first one in St. Louis, so I'm surmising the two came over on the boat together. In better shape than my 74 when I sold it in 1980 - fenders aren't rusted through, most everything dingless, this fender aside, only rust I was seeing is on the engine lid. Interior in pretty great shape too. 80k miles, last registered in 1984. Minilites will be available eventually....

Its pretty simple all you do is simply tell us what you've done to your X1/9 during the current day or in the late evening prior. It can be anything from a fun drive, wash/wax, to engine rebuilding etc.. Pics and video are always welcome for incrimination.. :eek:mg:.. I mean entertainment purposes.
Today I am pulling my first set of rubber Euro bumpers out of the mould, if the rubber has hardened. Never used this brand rubber before, but it is used to make engine mounts, so hoping for the best. For all interested, I will post photos soon. Here is the carbon version still uncleaned and unpainted .
20171209_193028.jpg

What did we do to our X today?
We just took our X out for a drive with my son riding shotgun. Top off and wind blowing through our hair. Man, Tampa is nice year round. I am sure getting used to this. Putting some miles on the X since moving to Florida.
Happy New Year everybody,
Florida Mike

Attachments

• 7B030693-460B-459D-890B-A85F74887167.jpeg
    7B030693-460B-459D-890B-A85F74887167.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 115
So rad that you started it up on an engine stand! My hero... (sounds bad ass with just the header)
Well, I figured that it might be a good idea to see if this thing was going to run before I go to the trouble of sticking it back in. The only extra work was hooking up a few wires and installing the transaxle so that I could bolt on the starter. I did not install the clutch/pressure plate because I did not want to spin the gears without any gear oil. So, I've got to take that stuff off to put on the clutch/pressure plate. It is a pretty quick operation on the bench.

I agree on the sound. It has been 22 years since I last heard that exhaust and I don't think it was a whole lot quieter with the muffler on. I still need to decide on the rest of the exhaust as the original header system was made for 75 on passenger side exhaust exit (not many choices for 74s back then). I made the passenger side exit work but never liked it so this time I will try to do it right. Maybe just an exhaust pipe straight back from the collector so I can get the shooting flames effect!

What did we do to our X today?
We just took our X out for a drive with my son riding shotgun. Top off and wind blowing through our hair. Man, Tampa is nice year round. I am sure getting used to this. Putting some miles on the X since moving to Florida.
Happy New Year everybody,
Florida Mike
Still love the wheels and look of your car, its so sexy! ... still needs more lower, though ;)

Back