What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

One door done. A lot of respect for people who do this for a living--you guys are artists.

Repainted all the black bits with plastic paint. I cheated with the black stitch lines in the yellow field. I drew myself a very thin guide line with a black pen. Otherwise, keeping it straight while sewing wouldn't have been possible, at least for my skill level. Another last minute change is the black trim channel at the top of the panel. Found it on McMaster.com. It's UV proof, waterproof, flexible and has a metal rib for strength. You might see the spot my finger touched while doused with adhesive. I'll get some acetone later to clean that.

One more to go, landau paddIng already glued on. It might be done by this evening.

IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG

Fitted a new washer bag today, how can something that is so trivial be such a pain in the butt. The old one had started to leak and the OEM hooks had long given up holding the bag so out it came. Found some rust in the bottom of the headlight well so treated that and waxoyled it. Mounted the new bracket and slotted in the new bag and filled it with water.....TIP: test before you fit! Emptied two pints of water into the headlight well and frunk removing the bag so I could test it.

Thought the wiring was wrong so swapped the wires over nope....swapped them back, re filled the bag only to find the hose to the pump had pulled out so more water everywhere connected it back up but left the hose to the jets off and promptly squirted water in to the frunk....at least it now works! Must have been an air lock causing it. LOL.

It was 24 years ago today that my car ate most of its valves. Since this is the first Halloween since then that it has been running, I decided to go for a ride. This was the first ride since the resurrection that I tried with the roof on, since it was cold out. I could immediately tell that the roof seals were in need of lubrication as they were squeaking like crazy. I recall that silicone spray was effective at keeping them quiet. Since the heater was throwing out lots of heat, I ended up removing the roof after a few miles. With the heater on high, it stayed plenty warm, even with the windows down.

1974 Fiat X19 at CA-35 Russian Ridge Turnout.jpg

Awesome! Great looking car. Makes me miss my 74 a little.

I find it amazing just how cozy these cars can be on a chilly day.

In Central Texas I drive all winter with the top off and the water valve cracked open. As soon as summer temps arrive the top gets put back on. Direct sun gets really hot sitting in traffic.

I eliminate the squeaks by spraying a bit of WD-40 into a rag and wiping it onto the rubber parts. It lasts about a year before it needs another rub-down.

New brake reservoir, supply lines, master cylinder, brakes and clutch bled, and wheels installed.
That reservoir is pretty cool, is it a Wilwood unit? I'm guessing by the rear Wilwood calipers. What brakes do you have on the fronts, same Wilwood calipers?

EDIT: Just saw your other post in a different thread...it's a Tilton reservoir. But the other question still applies. ;) Also what master cylinder are you using?

That reservoir is pretty cool, is it a Wilwood unit? I'm guessing by the rear Wilwood calipers. What brakes do you have on the fronts, same Wilwood calipers?

EDIT: Just saw your other post in a different thread...it's a Tilton reservoir. But the other question still applies. ;) Also what master cylinder are you using?
Front brakes are Fiat 500 Abarth, still stock master may eventually go to twin master setup, but I’ve got to fix floor pans first.

Front brakes are Fiat 500 Abarth
Now that you mention it, I recall you saying that before. Sorry I tend to forget who has what on their cars. Sounds like a nice set up. How is the stock master working with them? I think the main reason to switch the master would be if the stock one requires too much pedal travel to operate the larger calipers all the way around.

Won’t know until I get it running, got to finish TBI conversion yet, got a bit sidetracked with the brakes and struts.
Now that you mention it, I recall you saying that before. Sorry I tend to forget who has what on their cars. Sounds like a nice set up. How is the stock master working with them? I think the main reason to switch the master would be if the stock one requires too much pedal travel to operate the larger calipers all the way around.

Front brakes are Fiat 500 Abarth, still stock master may eventually go to twin master setup, but I’ve got to fix floor pans first.

I found it convenient to replace master cylinders between the jobs of cutting the rusty floor out and welding the new floors in. It gave a lot better access reaching through the floor from underneath.

When I had to replace the clutch master again, I wasn't really inclined to cut the floor out to do it, but if you've got to do both of those things anyway, you might consider doing it in that order.

Brian

Drove my X1/9 from Xenia (Dayton area) to Columbus yesterday (about an hour's drive) to drop it off at Midwest-124. I'm hoping John can work his magic and get it tuned 100%. It did fine on the drive but the motor has this annoying droning sound that about puts me to sleep.

If you only go to one car show in the UK then make this the one, a truly amazing variety of old cars.
I would love to see this show, and to attend the Goodwood festivals some time. Over here the big must see event is Monterey week in central Calif (actually many events over the course of a week). Your car is looking great and well displayed, congrats.

I actually got a question. I dont know if this is the right forum to do it in, but i guess it works.

what diameter exhaust pipe would be recommended on a 1.5l in a '79. i wanna run a 2.5" Magnaflow perf muffler, but i dont know if that'll be to big

Been having a few electrical issues recently, on my journey up to the NEC show the turn indicators packed up on the left hand side, traced the issue to a bad connection. Wiggling the wires got them working but I need to pull the connectors apart and fix properly. Also the hazard warning lights stopped working, more wire and voltage tracing when I should have gone for the obvious and checked the fuse, it wasn’t blown just a poor connection and then the reversing lights packed in, another bad connection! Guess I’ll be checking more connectors over the winter.

After several months she started up for the first time on Sniper EFI. It appears my injectors are still too big, can’t get it to idle at 850. Part throttle cruise injectors were only at 6% duty cycle. The smallest injectors I can find are 31 lb i’ve got 43lb on there now. Tracked beautifully on my modified suspension.

After several months she started up for the first time on Sniper EFI. It appears my injectors are still too big, can’t get it to idle at 850. Part throttle cruise injectors were only at 6% duty cycle. The smallest injectors I can find are 31 lb i’ve got 43lb on there now. Tracked beautifully on my modified suspension.

What type/style of injectors are you using now? I only needed 20lb'ers with the 1600. If you buy my modified runners and fuel rail, you can you a wide range of more modern Bosch composite injectors :D

X19_LH24_00035.jpg

Last edited:
Back