What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Me too!

Bryce, that's looks like a nice deep garage. 24'?
Almost, it's 23'. Plenty of room for the X, a motorcycle, and a scooter.

I got the other side emptied back out. A few things came back to the side, others went to donation, and a few things make more sense in the basement workshop and storage area.

Last edited:
About a year and a half ago, I ran into some carb issues that resulted in rather dramatic backfires. One of them blew the exhaust pipe right off the muffler. After a couple dozen bike rides along the same route (my normal bike ride route) while keeping an eye out for the exhaust pipe that got launched, I decided that it was not likely that I would find it. Today, I made a new pipe and installed it. That took much less time than going on a bike ride to search for the old pipe but I don't think it burned nearly as many calories. I had an old Serra cat bypass pipe that had just the right shape I needed so I sliced it out and installed it. No welding required.

1974 Fiat X19 - New Exhaust Pipe - 2021_08_31.jpg

About a year and a half ago, I ran into some carb issues that resulted in rather dramatic backfires. One of them blew the exhaust pipe right off the muffler. After a couple dozen bike rides along the same route (my normal bike ride route) while keeping an eye out for the exhaust pipe that got launched, I decided that it was not likely that I would find it. Today, I made a new pipe and installed it. That took much less time than going on a bike ride to search for the old pipe but I don't think it burned nearly as many calories. I had an old Serra cat bypass pipe that had just the right shape I needed so I sliced it out and installed it. No welding required.

View attachment 51471
Tomorrow you will find the old pipe, sitting in plain sight along your normal biking route. :rolleyes:

I once had a fender fall off of a trailer I was towing. It happened along a city street and I was aware when it happened. But due to the layout of the streets and traffic, it was a few blocks before I could turn around to retrieve it. I'll be damned if I could find it. Even after parking the vehicle and walking along the section where I knew it fell off. Sadly the license plate was attached to that fender. But since I never found it I had to pay for a replacement plate (and fender).

Tomorrow you will find the old pipe, sitting in plain sight along your normal biking route. :rolleyes:

I once had a fender fall off of a trailer I was towing. It happened along a city street and I was aware when it happened. But due to the layout of the streets and traffic, it was a few blocks before I could turn around to retrieve it. I'll be damned if I could find it. Even after parking the vehicle and walking along the section where I knew it fell off. Sadly the license plate was attached to that fender. But since I never found it I had to pay for a replacement plate (and fender).
The roads here are pretty rural so if I do spot it, I'll have no trouble turning around the bike or the X. I suspect it may have been collected or destroyed when they did the annual trimming of the shoulder a few months back.

I would not be surprised if somebody spotted the license plate on the fender and ran off with the whole thing. Did you ever get any tickets charged to that plate number?

After 25 years, I got to drive our 79 under it's own power again! I drove it home when we bought it and not since until today. We got it running in June and have been working out different bugs since. We still have things to sort out, but I was able to drive it back onto the lift under it's own power. (Last time it was with a winch). I must have hit a wrong button on the camera. The yellow is brighter & lighter, not so "orangey".
79Fiat,09,02,21,01.jpg
79Fiat,09,02,21,02.jpg

Attachments

• 79Fiat,09,02,21,02.jpg
    79Fiat,09,02,21,02.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 72
After 25 years, I got to drive our 79 under it's own power again! I drove it home when we bought it and not since until today. We got it running in June and have been working out different bugs since. We still have things to sort out, but I was able to drive it back onto the lift under it's own power. (Last time it was with a winch). I must have hit a wrong button on the camera. The yellow is brighter & lighter, not so "orangey". View attachment 51524View attachment 51530
Are you saying you drove it home 25 years ago and not since? I've got cars that I drove home 5 or 6 years ago and they have been undergoing restorations since then, but 25 years must be a record. :) Looks great.

Last edited:
Are you saying you drive it home 25 years ago and not since? I've got cars that I drive home 5 or 6 years ago and they have been undergoing restorations since then, but 25 years must be a record. :) Looks great.
Thanks! 25 years included collecting parts (including parting out several other cars), 3 or 4 motorcycle projects, a new engine in our pickup, taking care of parents, a business, keeping our other cars going (nothing newer than 1993), and whatever life threw in the way. Serious work designing, fabricating, wiring, and reassembly really started about 6 years ago or so.

After 25 years, I got to drive our 79 under it's own power again! I drove it home when we bought it and not since until today. We got it running in June and have been working out different bugs since. We still have things to sort out, but I was able to drive it back onto the lift under it's own power. (Last time it was with a winch). I must have hit a wrong button on the camera. The yellow is brighter & lighter, not so "orangey". View attachment 51524View attachment 51530
Hey Denny, the car looks great. First time I got a good view of the car my motor came from. If the car runs as well as the old motor does, you should be all set. When do we see photos of all the fancy goodies you put into it?

Hey Denny, the car looks great. First time I got a good view of the car my motor came from. If the car runs as well as the old motor does, you should be all set. When do we see photos of all the fancy goodies you put into it?
Thanks, Don. I'll try to do some photos of the extras. Problem is, just like when I repainted our lawn mower with flames. it creates the perception that I have too much time on my hands.
I'll take some photos of what I can and just describe the things I can't photograph (If they are hidden).
By the way, you got to use the motor more than we ever did. We are tickled that it has worked out so well, but if you get any tickets, we will deny any connection!

25 years. 25 years. 25 years. I still have 4 years to go. Mine last ran in 2000. I really hope I will not beat you for the record. I was hoping to go back to work on my 1980 Fiat x19, but the Bertone 1987 I bought while waiting developped some problems recently. I made the repairs, then my son (that wasn't even a "project" in 2000) called me to ask if it was normal to not being able to see the car behind him because it was surrounded by white smoke. So working on the other x19 (head gasket I assume) will postpone repairs on my old one. Also because it is a father and son project now, and I'm more concerned about spending valuable time with my son than working alone in the garage...

real life priorities.....................the things that really are important.

Went to a car show today where they were running a car limbo. Thought I had it in the bag until a Morgan 3 wheeler showed up. Ugh. Next year I will have to get adjustable struts.

Odie
We used to do that at the VW shows. The cars with air suspensions had the advantage. Otherwise they would cram as many big guys as they could fit into the car to try and compress the springs.

Last edited:
Almost, it's 23'. Plenty of room for the X, a motorcycle, and a scooter.

I got the other side emptied back out. A few things came back to the side, others went to donation, and a few things make more sense in the basement workshop and storage area.
4366F482-BFDA-4ACB-B583-01B2C2570BC8.jpegA4D8E3D8-7541-45B0-BDD6-6F6E2BEB1609.jpeg
Today I made good on getting the other side of the garage back to useful. Now there are 2 Fiats in my garage, which is a first for me.

Back