What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

After 25 years, I got to drive our 79 under it's own power again! I drove it home when we bought it and not since until today. We got it running in June and have been working out different bugs since. We still have things to sort out, but I was able to drive it back onto the lift under it's own power. (Last time it was with a winch). I must have hit a wrong button on the camera. The yellow is brighter & lighter, not so "orangey". View attachment 51524View attachment 51530
Gorgeous! You'll have a lot of fun driving that beauty!

Gorgeous! You'll have a lot of fun driving that beauty!
Thanks for the kind words. There have been moments in the last year or so when it seemed like we wouldn't get here. This has been the longest project I have ever undertaken, except our pickup (although 8 months was the longest time it was off the road). It has been a lesson in patience & humility. I have frequently been shown that I am not as smart as I sometimes think I am. Once we get the new heater core we will even be able to get some winter driving in (when there is no mag chloride on the roads).

Rust prevention today. Removed the Targa roof windscreen seal and injected diluted waxoyl down the insides of the A pillars. Painted more Waxoyl along the screen edge to help keep the nasty rust gremlins away.

73DCA02D-A5AC-433E-8975-C67689F10BBC.jpeg

Rust prevention today. Removed the Targa roof windscreen seal and injected diluted waxoyl down the insides of the A pillars. Painted more Waxoyl along the screen edge to help keep the nasty rust gremlins away.

View attachment 51620
How you get it into the A-pillar? Through that little hole at the top of it?

Considering the propensity for rust to form at the bottom corners of the A-pillars, that seems worth doing. I think the rust there often starts on the outside, under the windshield weatherstrip/seal. Can you inject some Waxoyl under there as well? I've never lived in an area where adding rust protection was needed and Waxoyl isn't that common here. So I've never used it and not sure how hard it is to get into places like that.

Hi DrJeff there are two other holes one above each sun visor, I used this to inject the Waxoyl:

3C28C6AD-896B-419B-B1EF-1BB9D2BD7D6A.jpeg3EA2A560-7A33-46D2-9309-82A1DAB3FF7F.jpeg

Took it to cars and coffee in Milpitas. I've only taken my Giulia Quadrifoglio before, and I can tell you that the X1/9 got 10x more attention than my Giulia ever did. Check out how small it looks next to the 4C!

1631425880713.png

1631425861413.png

The best chat I had was with a guy who was there with his teenage son. He was telling his son that when he was in high school, the X1/9 was their Alfa 4C. It's the car all of his friends wanted. When I asked what he was driving, he pointed at his 488. Gotta love it...

1631426639388.png

Took it to cars and coffee in Milpitas. I've only taken my Giulia Quadrifoglio before, and I can tell you that the X1/9 got 10x more attention than my Giulia ever did. Check out how small it looks next to the 4C!

View attachment 51977

View attachment 51976

The best chat I had was with a guy who was there with his teenage son. He was telling his son that when he was in high school, the X1/9 was their Alfa 4C. It's the car all of his friends wanted. When I asked what he was driving, he pointed at his 488. Gotta love it...

View attachment 51978
It is interesting how car guys seem to prefer "vintage" stuff. Over the years of attending various C&C's in SoCal I noticed any older car attracted more attention than any newer one...even the high dollar exoitcs. :)

Back