What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

last 24

Drove to the last show (I attend) of the season. Vintage Ford in Sacramento...about 30 miles away. My son and I had a great time!

Today, pulling out the interior. Getting ready to finish wiring (push button start on center console) as well as re-do the carbon fiber center console, rearranging the switch locations. The rear fire-wall is getting redone. I plan on pulling off the spare tire panel, finishing the inside, then displaying the spare after it is powder-coated to match the rest of the wheels.

...and a bunch of other winter stuff...

My car is completely...

...torn down awaiting Dallara kit and high compression head/twin carb conversion. Midwest-Bayless has business lined up neck deep...so my cars (X and Zagato) getting done are well into the future. No biggie...coming out of driving season here anyways.:italia:

kicked the piece of crap

j/k just seeing if anyone is paying attention:)
I charged up the battery and stared at it for a very very very long time....... I'm good at that.

Saturday 10-30

Mocked up the tail lights:
led%20tail.jpg

Put the crankshaft & pistons back in:

Oct%2030.jpg

Did some grilling out:

cooking%20manifold.jpg

I Painted her!

My buddy called me and said we need to make room ASAP so I went over and painted it last night!!!

First time ever painting a complete car. :headbang:

Its sitting in my driveway now :)

Image070.jpg

Image071.jpg

Before:
Image046.jpg

After:

Image069.jpg

there is a TON of orange peal, but all in all, not bad for my first end 2 end body repair/paint.

-Tim
:italia:

Dropped the engine out of the 1979 donor car. removed the transmission and mounted the engine on the engine stand. Pulled off the head. Pistons tops & cylinders look good.

Just (mostly) finished with my project putting gas lift struts on the trunk and engine cover. Still a few tweaks, but they both are functional. Something I've wanted to do for a LONG time. The hood will be next.

Just (mostly) finished with my project putting gas lift struts on the trunk and engine cover. Still a few tweaks, but they both are functional. Something I've wanted to do for a LONG time. The hood will be next.
what brand and part numbers? I tried this a couple weeks ago, but after 3 trips to the parts store and still not getting one that's right, I give up on it.

Went to Dunkin Donuts with my wife to see our daughter at work at the end of her shift, who since she moved out, is the only way we get to see her. Have to buy a cup of coffee! Then had our daughter play spot the Fiat among all the SUV's in the parking lot.

Then went to two libraries for Halloween DVD's, then to the grocery store and picked up milk and a few grocery items, and laughed at my wife, since she doesn't want to use the front trunk holds everything in her lap.

Noticed that the car doesn't seem to like these short little trips, and stop and go driving with a lot of idling. It really seems much happier at higher revs.

I received my new hand brake cables today from the Guys at Midwest. They are not FIAT branded but they seem to be made well and they fit perfectly.

Removed the old cables, lubed up the replacements with a combination of silicone sprayed inside the cable jacket and liberal amounts of automotive grease on the exposed parts of the cable.

I can see how the job of replacing these cables could be one of those jobs that requires a minimum of three hands. I took advantage of the stiffness of the new cables to hold the plastic pulleys and their bolt/axles in place in the cover, used some GE silicone II to secure the rubber gasket in place, and was surprised at how easily it all went back together.

Finished Window

The key to keeping the wires in the groove is either the original plastic clip to hold the wires or a couple of zip ties as shown here.
IMAG0164.jpg

Bernice, What "friction guides" are you referring to???

Bob

I pulled off the entire rear suspension, pulled the head and drooped the engine out of the car, tomorrow i have an autocross and hope to start pulling the sound deadening out and cleaning the engine bay for the swap. it is amazing how short of a time it takes to remove such major components of a car

Today. I put in the Engine...:excited:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWrh7EYif9k"]YouTube - Fiat X/19 Abarth[/ame]

Mike- Man I wish I could be at the autocross tomorrow, but work scheduled me a double. Probably just as well since my recent brake line fix is intended as temporary anyway, not too much hard braking.

As for me, today I drove to work, found my windows wouldn't go up, and replaced the inline fuse. I also cleaned both power window switches out, and worked on my very very dirty vinyl, trying my many different cleaners on it. Soft scrub with bleach seems to work the best (of what I've used) on the general discoloration, but I ran out so I'll need to restock. It made my dash look a lot better also.

Man I'm a slacker... I just stared at the 2 1983 X's this morning... still beaming and smiling ear to ear, happy that I've finally convinced myself to buy a car I've wanting since HighSchool in 1980 when I was terrifying everyone with a 128!!!

Right now the plan is to take the complete engine in the 2nd car I bought and get it in the body of the first car... and get one of the two cars up and running. The eventual plan is to look seriously at stuffing a different engine inside!

drove the crap out of the X1/9 with 3 other X1/9 friends and 25 other Fiats

Yesterday was DCFiats 8th annual crab run. Drove 180 miles to and from the event and about 70 more miles during the event. Great twisty roads and friends who push their cars is the perfect combination. :excited:

Top was off all day and the heater works. Is there a better way to spend a quality day with your X1/9 other than on a track?

Back