What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Tim... I have limited experience...

... with the later models but I did work on a set on Enzomac's Bertone.

He had the same kinda dimpled "locking block"... as NOT shown in the following drawing (#8)... and only one Lining Retainer Spring - late type (#5) on each pad. See page 33-13/14 here...

http://www.midwesternmedicalmachine.com/~damonfg/X_FSM/PDF_Files/X1-9_331-XX_33-5.pdf

On my '79... I believe there is ONE Liner Retainer Spring - early type (#1) and TWO #5 late-types on each pad! I may be wrong about the TWO #5s, its been so long... But my point is... I have NO chatter or noise coming from any of my brakes.

I do know that some of these get caught and thrown off or worn down when pads are allowed to wear down too far... or lost or otherwise missing after a rebuild. I believe there are fresh sets from our normal suppliers and ya might wanna call one to see what you SHOULD have... if yur still having a problem.

drove to work and back, like every day, took the long way in though:eek:
Got a super cheap ipod holder/charger/FM transmitter off ebay, (chinese junk)
rigged up a way to mount it where I wanted it without drilling or otherwise defacing any original bits, I CAN'T STAND hacking things up

Hey Pete, I noticed in those pics of your car without the wheels your springs say H&R on them. I had a set of there coilovers in my 16V Scirocco a few years ago, was that something made for an X or suspension from a different car retrofitted to yours? Any details would be appreciated...

As for what I did today, as with all the days since I sold the green 81'...was contemplated buying another X1/9...but there really isn't anything that nice available around here for reasonable money...

Thanks Tony...

I believe I should have the dimpled/single cotter pin sliders on the rears (stock) and the dual cotter pin sliders (no dimple) on the fronts like the manual you listed. I just realized something; When I pulled the rears off, the dimple end was on the outside. I noticed in the PDF (thanks for the link) it sort of looks like the single cotter pin might be on the outside edge.

Tony how are yours setup?

Mine are '79 stockers...

... with DUAL pins all around.

As for the dimpled ones... the dimples are usually on the OUTSIDE as they are pushed in from the outside... much easier than trying to push them in from the INSIDE.

The pins go in rather easy even though they are on the inside.

HTH...

I went in after the fuel sender for the 4th time? Losing track. A real mechanic would have replaced the dang thing the first time. It's not grounding well and my added ground wire keeps failing, this time I trilled out the back plate and soldered the wire in line with the axis of rotation of the sweeper arm, thinking there will less stress on the wire and it won't break off so quick. Maybe solder and gas don't mix well. I also drained the float which had taken on a bit of gas somehow. Resealed it. I'm an the waiting list for a sender from Vicks as they have them for $35ish. When they have them.
fuelsendergroundwire.jpg

Installed repaired header, manifold and updated wheels on Saturday after partially stripping my other parts car. Did clutch change on Sunday (not a fun project by yourself). Today I filled the transmission and went for my first real test drive since buying the car. After several laps around the neighborhood I decided to take it to the back roads. Drove well after I got the rust off the brakes but the only bummer is speedometer doesn't work anymore. I must have damaged cable or something during clutch change. I am very excited to begin body work for new paint in the spring.
DSC_0893.jpg

Alright, stop it, that looks freak'n cool.
One thing about mine is it's a little too quiet. My Midget (may she be happy across the sea) was a bit loud but the exhaust note was half the fun. Someday I'd like to hit a happy medium with the X. Audible and nice sounding but not annoying to self or others. Is that possible? Don't some cars have exhaust bypass valve/solenoids you can change on the fly? No I'm not going to do that but that'd be the answer.

Yet more work on the X...

This is getting pretty funny that I post something almost everyday...

1) Replaced the radiator front hoses - was a chore as I have dual fans (used to be AC car) so of course the upper I got didn't fit and had to get creative.

2) Replaced the stock temp guage on the rad with the beck/arnley 180 degree.

3) flushed entire cooling system. The car ran TOO MUCH coolant. Replaced with about 65/35 water/coolant.

4) added RedLine Water Wetter.

After a couple of bleed sessions the car runs a cool 185 and the fan comes on at 190 (what appears to be 190) a couple of "clicks" lower than before the new temp sending unit.

Hmmm...What should I do tomorrow ;)

You have a very cool car and the exhaust looks great. The only advice I can give is change out the 49rs logo for the Browns:)

Dude...Seriously? HAHA! I have only rooted 3 football teams in my life; 9'ers, Raiders and the Skins when I lived in DC. Never the bears or the BROWNS for that matter ;) but I do love the SuperFan Da Bears skits from SNL :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32OeqbYbHg&feature=related"]YouTube - Da Super fans[/ame]

Last edited:
I followed the instructions of this link:

http://www.mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/tech/coilover.html

It is meant for a Fiat 128 but I followed the exact same steps with mine except I didn't have the perch re-welded on. I instead just sat the threaded collar on the mounting bracket (the photo will make more sense) as it still gives me plenty of adjustment up or down for ride height adjustment. For the fronts I did as the link describes and cut off the spring perch as my struts are the old style removeable ones The H&R springs I purchased right off their website. They are their race springs and can be purchased in any length and lb/inch configuration. They are 2.5" i.d which is a very common coil over spring size. For the rear coilovers I just sat the threaded collar on the factory perch and it works great.

Front Coilovers

Rear Coilovers

'PeteX1/9

My new wheels and tires arrived today:headbang: I was going to wait untill I finished installing them before posting anything but I couldn't resist.

I recieved my new Cromodora Daytonas today (a special Thanks to Ricardo Borja) and my Yokohama A048 tires arrived from the U.K today aswell so a very good day indeed. I already had the tires mounted and balanced and started fitting them on the X. (still awaiting correct wheel studs)

'PeteX1/9

HEY DOM... Where ya been?

Its been awhile since I've seen you post... hope all is well.

A couple of things... Can you write up a sticky or give us some insight on how we can support or use the BEST OF WIKI system. I sure would like to see that better utilized... Don't mean to cause you a bunch of work... but it would be a great contribution to this site, and mankind overall!

Secondly... what da ya mean by "good work"??? Peter just SPENT money and ordered parts!

HA!

As you did say though... it is a good choice... BUT... I think his former BLING wheels and adapters really set his ride apart, be they a "good" choice or not!

HEY DOM... Where ya been?

Its been awhile since I've seen you post... hope all is well.

A couple of things... Can you write up a sticky or give us some insight on how we can support or use the BEST OF WIKI system. I sure would like to see that better utilized... Don't mean to cause you a bunch of work... but it would be a great contribution to this site, and mankind overall!

Secondly... what da ya mean by "nice work"??? Peter just SPENT money and ordered parts!

HA!

As you did say though... it is a good choice... BUT... I think his former BLING wheels really set his ride apart, be they a "good" choice or not!

Back