What domed nuts to use with wipers?

think jedi

True Classic
So having finally found and refurbished my wipers, I go to put them on to find that the nuts that I have do not appear to be the original nuts. In fact, they won't even screw down onto the shaft. What I have is this:

wipernuts1.jpg

wipernuts3.jpg

Kind of like a castle nut. I reversed it for grins and it will tighten on somewhat, but THAT can't be right...

wipernuts4.jpg

The wiper arm also seems a little high on the post, but the splines grab and the wipers work fine. The weird thing is that I know this thing had wipers on the car when I took them off. When I got the car back from paint, these nuts were on the wiper spindles, so I had always assumed they were factory. So I'm scratching my head here. Am I missing something here (other than a pair of proper nuts)?

tJ

Well, I looked through some old pics I took of the car when I first got it and it would appear that it came with those nuts installed upside down. That just doesn't seem right though...

tJ

Thread size is the same as used on the Renault transaxle case bolts on R16, R17... and Lotus Europa.

Bernice

Thanks Bernice. I'll look into that if this doesn't work out...it looks like I may have found what I needed from the UK. Someone selling a wiper assembly with the nuts still on the spindles. I'm going to try to sweet talk them into sending just the nuts. Clearly what I have are NOT the original nuts. Another bit of jankiness courtesy of the PO. :/

tJ

Another way, I'll make a few for you... or Google M7 (1.00mm thread) acorn nut...
The French hint comes from older French cars. They often have M7 hardware in the most unexpected places. This is where the often un-used 11mm aka 7/16" wrench finds a companion. And the Lotus Europa was the first Lotus to use a Renault transaxle out of the R16 with the final drive ring gear set flipped over. If not, using the R16 transaxle in the Lotus Europa would have four speeds reverse, one speed forward.

Bernice

Last edited:
Good to know which bits have weird threads, so far it's the wipers and the seatbelt mounting bolts...

I beleive you'll find the seat belt mounting bolts are a normal SAE spec. All cars sold in the US in that era had to have a particular size SAE bolt, per government mandate.

US of A Fed seat belt fastener spec is 7/16-20 tpi which remains in place to this day or why there is metric headed seat belt fasters with 7/16-20 thread. Applies to race belts too.

Brake tubing diameter is 3/16" OD and clutch tube of 1/4" OD in these cars are for much the same reason.

These are a few of the smaller details when added up alters the original Monte design into the Scorpion which is essentially a different moto in significant ways, not just the exterior.

Bernice

I beleive you'll find the seat belt mounting bolts are a normal SAE spec. All cars sold in the US in that era had to have a particular size SAE bolt, per government mandate.

McMaster has a (very small) selection of M7 hardware. Perhaps this stainless steel flange nut can be made to work?
Flanged nuts won't work because the nut needs to reach into the recess of the wiper arm. I tried that. It either needs to be a nut with a shank or a smaller diameter nut with the correct thread.

Either way, the point is moot...the guy in the UK is sending me the OEM nuts. 😃

tJ

Last edited:
Looks like I’m a day late here, but I’m lying here in bed reading about automotive hardware (enter appropriate Middle-aged editorial Here) and I just happened to have a set of OEM wiper nuts within arm’s reach in my nightstand drawer.

such bits go from my pockets to my change tray to wherever else, but these made the nightstand of all places...
448EE5BE-07C2-4A22-9BBD-F8723157FE33.jpeg

Looks like I’m a day late here, but I’m lying here in bed reading about automotive hardware (enter appropriate Middle-aged editorial Here) and I just happened to have a set of OEM wiper nuts within arm’s reach in my nightstand drawer.

such bits go from my pockets to my change tray to wherever else, but these made the nightstand of all places...View attachment 34665

OMG...I would have totally bought those from you if you were selling them. Too late now though. I get to wait a couple of weeks to get my wipers back in commission. :D

d

So many of us 40-50-somethings keep our nuts in the nightstand, but at least mine are on my side of the bed : )
I always thought they were kept in the wife's purse, and only allowed out when she deemed necessary. But I'm not married so I wouldn't really know.

Back