What happened to the X19 rally car idea?

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
Don't get to read up here a whole lot anymore, but I seem to recall someone bringing up the idea of building an X into a Rally car, wondering if that ever came into fruition. I remember others said you could possibly use Scorpian suspension parts to raise up the whole car. Could that be done easily? Would it be bolt on, or would welding have to be done?
Just wondering....

The Scorpion struts are basically identical as far as mounting goes. Just taller, and stifffer springs. I was going to do it to my '74 until I realized how nice it was and decided to restore it.

You can also use X shocks with alternative springs.

These were Pedders Suspension springs. A quick search suggests they may not still be available.

strut.jpg

This was the ride height.

1099479764_6da27bdf2b_o.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

So you wouldn't need other suspension parts, like A-frames, or control arms? Like to get it up enough to put like 15" 70's series tires under it, and not have serious camber/caster problems?

I have a set of "sport" struts that had my X sitting like that and we have come to the conclusion they are for a Lancia even though they bolt right on to an X. Hardly used, if interested in them, let me know as they are just taking up space on my parts rack.

eh, just throwing around ideas, there's a rusty old 79 I believe right around the corner, waiting for the "for sale" sign to go on it....I've left notes on his mailbox, no answer. If I had another junker like that, I would do something like this..You should find a Scorpion owner that really needs those :)

I have a set of "sport" struts that had my X sitting like that and we have come to the conclusion they are for a Lancia even though they bolt right on to an X. Hardly used, if interested in them, let me know as they are just taking up space on my parts rack.

They might be for an early X as the mount for the hub was at a different height on the early rear struts.

carl, I am very interested in your "sport" struts. We are reworking a '78 X for daily driving here in Wyoming, which means the occasional prairie dirt roads, mountain dirt roads, and of course Winter driving conditions .. this "rally" approach is ideal for what I am thinking here. If you still have them please let me know.

Thanks,
Pyro Chuck

This was the ride height.

View attachment 5096

Cheers,

Rob
Rob, that X looks incredibly perfect for what I want around here. Please let us know what you did to make it ride at that height....was it just the struts and springs or did you have to replace other suspension parts as well to make it work. What are the wheel/tire size please sir.

Thanks,
Pyro Chuck

Hi Pyro,

We used the heavy duty springs (in pic above) and the car was significantly lightened.

The wheels were 14x6 and I think the tyres were 175s. The aspect ratio may have 65, but I really don't remember and the car is long gone from my possession.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Pyro,

We used the heavy duty springs (in pic above) and the car was significantly lightened.

The wheels were 14x6 and I think the tyres were 175s. The aspect ratio may have 65, but I really don't remember and the car is long gone from my possession.

Cheers,

Rob
I see you are in Evergreen, CO .. Laramie, WY here. I am not against lightening the car that is for sure as long as we can maintain safety. Any quick easy things to be removed for such a thing or is a bit more detailed with these little X cars?

carl, I am very interested in your "sport" struts. We are reworking a '78 X for daily driving here in Wyoming, which means the occasional prairie dirt roads, mountain dirt roads, and of course Winter driving conditions .. this "rally" approach is ideal for what I am thinking here. If you still have them please let me know.

Thanks,
Pyro Chuck

The struts are sold but I think any set of struts meant for a Lancia Montecarlo will do the same "lift" for an X that mine did.

Back