What is it? What is it worth?

TonyK

True Classic
Please see pictures.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG

You are correct. Try and find a Fiat 500 Pop throw out bearing. Everyone has a listing, but no stock. Dealer item only $153CND or about $110 USD. Made mostly of plastic. The clutch was still good in the car with 160,000 miles on it. No heating and the disk was .060 thinner than new stock. Took us about 7 hours to change. As you can see my son knows how to drive a car with a clutch. No heating on the disk or pressure plate.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

DSC00728.JPG
DSC00729.JPG
DSC00730.JPG
DSC00731.JPG

That must be a bear of a car to work on if it took you 7 hours to change. Makes an X seem like a walk in the park.

Well the X half shafts come apart, the Fiat 500 you need to drain the transmission and pull the half shafts, but to do that the steering knuckle needs to be removed, tie rods, brake calipers. Then the front bumper cover and structural sub frame needs to be removed as well. Yes the X is fairly simple. Also the rubber mounts on the shifter cables were shot, missing on one cable. I turned some Acetal rod and pressed the sockets together. If at the dealer, new cables would be required.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Ouch, built for first assembly, not service.

To be clear, my comment was in reference to someone with your ability and experience needing 7 hours to complete the job being amazing and certainly not a denigration of you taking 7 hours to complete the job.

Man that is a hard car to do something on.

Well the bearing was shot, you could hear it making all sorts of noise, clutch pedal depressed or not. So, simple deduction, obtain new throw out bearing, but.... do I purchase a disk and pressure plate or not. Chose to, installed but not required, car now on the road and functioning well.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

So Tony, I guess I am glad my daughter's 2013 500 Pop is an automagic? She can't drive a stick anyway, but I have seen a few 5spd related threads in this forum already. And this is just Xweb's little corner of the 500 world. I don't think I want to go to a dedicated 500 forum and read the issues that must cropping up. I saw a Car and Driver article on their long term Alfa Giuila last week and it was littered with issues. :(

Your son is lucky to have a dad that has the knowledge and patience to work through this big of a project. I have pretty much abandoned my thoughts of getting a 500 Abarth, I don't need more problems.

Jim as cars go it has been very good and had a few probems. Door handles breaking, starter lead corroding, needed a set of shocks, 2 rear wheel bearings, then the throw out bearing. I think the car has 220,000 KM or about 130,000 miles. Now in comparison in 2014 I ordered a Ram 2500 4 door pick up truck with the Cummins 6.7 L engine with a 6 speed manual transmission. At 24,000 KM (16 K miles) the SCR ( CAT) needed to be changed, while at the dealer the dual mass clutch blew apart while the tech was driving it. The water pump was also on a recall as it would seize and burn the drive belt off causing and engine fire. The lower track rod attachment had to be re-engineered due to frame departure. At 50,0000 KM an engine oil leak developed and the rear main seal was changed and at that time I had a South Bend single mass clutch installed while the dealer was attempting to solve the oil leak problem at my expense $2,500. Their efforts were not successful and the truck then had several returns to the dealer totalling 8 weeks being at the dealer last year. This included changing the oil pan 3 times and on the 2nd time at another dealer while driving the truck to take it to the shop the dealer blew the South Bend clutch, now my problem. The dealer changed the rear main seal again, oil pan and the camshaft seal at the back of the engine which was the cause of the oil leak. I ordered a new clutch from South Bend and $1,200 latter it arrived and the dealer charged me $500 to install it. Oil leak solved. Fourth Clutch in 74,000 KM or 45,000 miles. This winter the truck would not start, needed 2 batteries $632.00. Last week while cleaning up the truck I noticed that the front fenders have several spots that they have rusted through. The dealer has informed me that Ram will cover the repairs even though truck was 3 months out of warrantee. The truck has been oil sprayed every year since I have purchased it. So in my mind the Fiat is the better vehicle.

TonyK.

At Bob Martins in Radcliff Kentucky

Last edited:
Jim as cars go it has been very good and had a few probems. Door handles breaking, starter lead corroding, needed a set of shocks, then the throw out bearing. I think the car has 220,000 KM or about 130,000 miles. Now in comparison in 2014 I ordered a Ram 2500 4 door pick up truck with the Cummins 6.7 L engine with a d 6 speed manual transmission. At 24,000 KM (16 K miles) the SCR ( CAT) needed to be changed, while at the dealer the dual mass clutch blew apart while the tech was driving it. The water pump was also on a recall as it would seize and burn the drive belt off causing and engine fire. The lower track rod attachment had to be re-engineered due to frame departure. At 50,0000 KM an engine oil leak developed and the rear main seal was changed and at that time I had a South Bend single mass clutch installed while the dealer was attempting to solve the oil leak problem at my expense $2,500. Their efforts were not successful and the truck then had several returns to the dealer totalling 8 weeks being at the dealer last year. This included changing the oil pan 3 times and on the 2nd time at another dealer while driving the truck to take it to the shop the dealer blew the South Bend clutch, now my problem. The dealer changed the rear main seal again, oil pan and the camshaft seal at the back of the engine which was the cause of the oil leak. I ordered a new clutch from South Bend and $1,200 latter it arrived and the dealer charged me $500 to install it. Oil leak solved. This winter the truck would not start, needed 2 batteries $632.00. Last week while cleaning up the truck I noticed that the front fenders have several spots that they have rusted through. The dealer has informed me that Ram will cover the repairs. The truck has been oil sprayed every year since I have purchased it. So in my mind the Fiat is the better vehicle.

TonyK.

At Bob Martins in Radcliff Kentucky

All cars brands have their problems and I have owned many brands. I just don't like buying a vehicle that seems like a guaranteed headache. I now use Hondas as my appliance vehicles for every day. We have 3 Hondas, 4 Fiats and one Ford E150 van with a wheelchair lift in our fleet. The 3 old Fiats require the most attention, as it should be.

Say Hi to Bob and your wives for me. I hope the weather cooperates at FFO for your trip. At least I am guessing that is why your are at Bob's. :)

All cars brands have their problems and I have owned many brands. I just don't like buying a vehicle that seems like a guaranteed headache. I now use Hondas as my appliance vehicles for every day. We have 3 Hondas, 4 Fiats and one Ford E150 van with a wheelchair lift in our fleet. The 3 old Fiats require the most attention, as it should be.

Say Hi to Bob and your wives for me. I hope the weather cooperates at FFO for your trip. At least I am guessing that is why your are at Bob's. :)
Jim that is the plan, a 3 day visit then we pack up and move out to FFO 2019, spend some extra days then head home on the 15th.

TonyK

At Bob Martin in Radcliff Kentucky.

Our 2013 500 Pop 5 speed has 127,000 miles. So far so good. We had the two rear bearings and hubs replaced under warranty. Word on the street is that they are pretty reliable.

Since it's hardly worth anything I doubt I would fix anything major. Probably easier to go get another.

Back