What is the best head gasket

bbrown

Bob Brown
for a 1498 (1500) late model X1/9 engine, and where should I buy them?
This will be for a higher output motor.

Thanks in advance!

I got a Felpro from Matt

Hi Bob,

When I got my performance head from Matt he told me to get the Felpro gasket, so I did.

Best Head Gasket

Hi Bob,

It depends on how new your 1500 is...The Fel-Pro seems best, but is not available for the 14 bolt head.

I used the Fel-Pro on my 10 bolt high performance head from Matt. I cc'd both heads, and using a stock gasket would result in a 11.14:1 CR. The Fel-Pro reduced that to 10.74:1, because it is thicker.

Brian, "in da UP"

Thanks guys... I have the 14-bolt head

So does that limit my choices? I've heard Felpro is a good choice. (does Felpro make gaskets for 14-bolt heads?)

Chris, have you tried the Cometic gaskets, and do they make them for the 14-bolt pattern? I'm looking at the site now...

14 Bolt Head Gasket

Matt told me that he uses a stock head gasket in his 14 bolt racer, but only because the Fel-Pro is not available. Although he thinks the Fel-Pro is better, he has had no failures with the stock gaskets.

Brian, "in da UP"

It appears Cometic will make whatever you want.

No help with your question, but on topic: note that many of us old school car repair guys do not believe that there is any such thing as a head gasket that does not need retorquing. Felpro makes a fine gasket and lots of folks have had no problems with them, even without retorquing. But your chances of a blown head gasket are still higher than if you retorque the fasteners. Sure, it's a PITA-- but nowhere close to as much of one as it is on some other engines. And much less of one than replacing a blown gasket...

Dunno what gasket I'll be using on the new engine-- I have several stock gaskets, along with a few Felpros. I have zero problem using a stock gasket, so I may use one of them if I want more compression. No matter what I use, it will be retorqued.

///Mike

14 bolt performance gasket

The best off the shelf head gasket is the Genuine Fiat 1.6 Petrol Head Gasket Punto Tipo Tempra (#380209912587) its can be found in the UK & New Zealand (it will be cheaper from a NZ dealer due to the exchange rate, try http://www.thomsonmotors.net/

Ashley

I'll probably end up getting it from Matt anyway...
Thanks again.

I bought the head set from Bayless. Be aware that it doesn't include any of the injector or phenolic spacer o-rings!

I'm planning on re-torquing as required. Don't want the chance of having to do it over.

Head bolt retorque

I'm going to hijack Bob's thread here.
The factory shop manual says:

"On vehicles with 17mm bolts...
Retorque all bolts to 29 ft. lbs (4 kgm).
Apply paint marks to one corner of all head bolts and a corresponding mark on the cylinder head.
...tighten all head bolts to a 90 degree angle (1).
Retighten all head bolts to a second 90 degree angle (2).
NOTE: All cylinder head bolts must have been tightened to a total of 180 degrees in two stages."

How do you retorque these bolts after a few heat cycles?

Thanks,

Bob

Fel-Pro head gaskets have worked well as with real FIAT original head gaskets. Spesso also have a number of performance head gaskets for this engine.

Do make sure the block and head surface is flat with a good surface finish. On the "performance/race engines", both block and head get a honing with 180, then 320 grit silicon abrasive paper to smooth off the machine marks. I have a strong preference to using the ARP M12 studs & nuts & washers for these engines.

As for Re-torquing, I'm with Mike on this one, it's worth doing and good preventive medicine for engines that use the M12 head bolts & studs.

Later engines that use the M10, torque to ~30ft/lbs, then add 180 degrees should be OK without a re-torque if the engine is stock using an original stock FIAT head gasket. This is what FIAT designed, and it should work fine if all is kept as designed.

Bernice

It appears Cometic will make whatever you want.

No help with your question, but on topic: note that many of us old school car repair guys do not believe that there is any such thing as a head gasket that does not need retorquing. Felpro makes a fine gasket and lots of folks have had no problems with them, even without retorquing. But your chances of a blown head gasket are still higher than if you retorque the fasteners. Sure, it's a PITA-- but nowhere close to as much of one as it is on some other engines. And much less of one than replacing a blown gasket...

Dunno what gasket I'll be using on the new engine-- I have several stock gaskets, along with a few Felpros. I have zero problem using a stock gasket, so I may use one of them if I want more compression. No matter what I use, it will be retorqued.

///Mike

OEM-stock-factory

I have OEM head gaskets in both my cars with milled heads and decked blocks. No issues. Prep the surfaces properly and follow torque procedures.
I believe Steve Hoelscher used OEM head gaskets in his 4 time SCCA Nat. Champ engines. Good enough for me.

Bernice, does Spesso make a

performance gasket for the 14-bolt head? If so, how do I find them?
Would you happen to have a part number for it? :grin:
Are these what you use? (Spesso, assuming you have a 14 bolt head engine)
Thanks in advance.

!!!

I just finished installing a head gasket. My car is the last year for the 10 bolt head, and it uses the torque-to-yield bolts (torque then turn 180 degrees). I have to say that it scared me to death turning those bolts!!

I was sure they would break off at any second. But they didn't. The first one was REALLY hard, then they get easier and easier. The last one is pretty tame, but still LOTS of torque required.

Even if they needed a retorque (which they don't), you'd have to pull the bolts and re-lubricate them, and the bolts aren't supposed to be re-used once removed. So even if you wanted to, I think it would make things worse to do so.

My FelPro experience.

I'm not asking for advise and your results may vary. Pictured below is my 1000 mile FelPro.

Yes, I know what I'm doing so please don't insult me by telling me that I installed it wrong (you know who you are :wink2:). I am merely showing a picture as a reference. In my opinion, there is nothing magic about FelPro over the any standard head gasket.
28728_129852450375588_100000525018141_260081_4661627_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Paul... is that some kinda compression...

... "equalizer port" between cylinders 2 and 3 ???

How'd that work for ya?

HA!

Geez... it looks like some kinda LASER cut a swath through it... or a PLASMA cutter! Certainlly is NOT your usual failure. So what gasket did you replace it with, a stock FIAT OEM?

I use Goetze head gasket with years for M12 or M10 -14 bolt and price is OK -cheap and not problem to use few time .Is cheaper options of spesso.

Back