What is the correct oil?

arc12111

True Classic
I don't have owners manual for my car, and I am wondering what the proper engine oil for my 1987 Fiat X/19 bertone needs. Also I was told by a few people, not here on XWEB but around my town. If a car was ran using regular oil, then you should stay with that type of oil, and do not change to synthetic which could damage the engine. Synthetic is way better but I don't want to risk if this is true.

What I used...

Since being in New England, with the deep cold swing the engine goes through, I used Castrol (or Mobile 1) full synthetic 5W50.
It's good stuff and gives higher oil pressure at low RPM.

But, expect a hundred responses of other opinions. Picking an oil for your X is much like picking a color. :)

Since being in New England, with the deep cold swing the engine goes through, I used Castrol (or Mobile 1) full synthetic 5W50.

But, expect a hundred responses of other opinions. Picking an oil for your X is much like picking a color. :)
There are several good quality engine oils available that will keep your X19 running smooth. The main thing is never run low on oil and change it regularly along with a quality oil filter. I have had good luck with Valvoline and Castrol for many years. I switched to royal purple synthetic a few years ago and nothing has blown up yet. All my cars are 100K miles so I use 20/50. It seems to be working so good maybe I should take a shot glass of it every night to take care of my old joints.

Thank you.

Cool brother thank you, however as you might already know, I do not drive her during the winter months, should I still use Mobile 1 5w50?

I don't believe you asked this... GEEZ!

What is the BEST or RIGHT...

Color?
Oil?
Tires?
or
Spark Plugs?

OPINIONS are like Belly Buttons... everyone here has a couple...

So here's my THOUGHTS based on my experience with OIL...

Castrol GTX 10 - 40. Inexpensive semi-synthetic and I change mine twice a year whether I need it or not on all 4 of my cars.

2003 Honda Pilot, 125,000 miles
1979 FIAT X1/9, 173,000 miles
1969 Corvette Coupe, 172,000 miles
1923 Ford Model T, with a 1953 Olds Engine, mileage unknown, but since I rebuilt the mill in '67... it still runs and scares the crap outta me...

Oh... and BTW, you might ask those folks around town just HOW the engine knows the difference between oils and WHY if weened on one type, it has problem with all others? I bet most of these folks believe in the tooth fairy as well. Hey, we useta joke about the sludge in the bottom of older engines was the only thing holding them together... I guess some folks took us seriously.

ive switched

i was using Castrol 10-40 since ive purchased my X new i have now switched to Shell Rotella t which is an oil for diesel engine being that the engine runs hot . before i switched i ask Matt from Midwest he told me he uses the same in his cars. by the way i do not use my car in the winter where it gets cold in New York

thank you

i was using Castrol 10-40 since ive purchased my X new i have now switched to Shell Rotella t which is an oil for diesel engine being that the engine runs hot . before i switched i ask Matt from Midwest he told me he uses the same in his cars. by the way i do not use my car in the winter where it gets cold in New York

Thank you bud

Do you use the standard Rotella T (white jug, conventional), or the T6 Synthetic (blue jug)? Just wondering, as I have tried the standard Rotella T in my old Volvo, and I wasn't crazy about the result. I noticed way more oil getting through the flame trap, and the car would actually smoke when it got hot, so I've been hesitant to use it on the X. No other oil has done that for me, but I usually run a semi-synthetic or full synthetic. I like the idea of running a diesel oil for the extra protection, but not if it's going to burp more oil into the intake and make smoke, YMMV. I'm going to try T6 on my Volvo's next oil change, hopefully it doesn't smoke, and if not, might try it in the FIAT.

BTW, I'm currently running Castrol's Euro blend 5W-40 Synthetic.

Castrol 20w50

When I had had the engine overhauled at Midwest Fiat a few years ago, Matt told me that the bottom end of engine looked brand-new.

My X had about 77K? miles on it then and I've used Castrol 20w50 about 90% of the time. Of course, doing oil changes twice a year or so and putting less than a 1,000 miles a year has a lot to do with a clean bottom end too:)

Mike

Oil change done

For the money I chose 10/40 mineral oil Valvoline semi synthetic. Next time I will go full synthetic, mobile 1 or something equal.

Castrol 20W/50 for me too...

I use Castrol 20W/50 in both my Scorpion (and my X and Zagato before it) and my Vanagon. Living in the temperate PNW means I use it year-round. Several years ago the formulation changed so it no longer has the caramel smell it used to have, but I still like it. It's often on sale in gallon jugs.

ive

been using the conventional Rotella t my last 2 oil changes and havent notice any unusual smoke , i have been using castrol gtx 10/40 ever since i purchased the car from the dealer. as for mobil 1 i worked for a mobil station when it came on the market only at mobil stations was told back then you could not use it the car had more than 25,000 miles on the engine. now i dont know if this is still is true with todays Mobil 1

3_liters_tin_extra_virgin_olive_oil_giuseppe_calvi_LRG.jpg

Back