What is the purpose of this?

Karl, never have taken one apart to look inside a charcoal canister. I'll take your word that they are full of charcoal probably as beads as in an activated charcoal water filter I imagine. Their purpose...... to vent fuel vapour safely I believe......

Mike Salvador
Canberra Australia
1982 X 1/9 1995 Honda Integra/Acura VTIr

Karl, never have taken one apart to look inside a charcoal canister. I'll take your word that they are full of charcoal probably as beads as in an activated charcoal water filter I imagine. Their purpose...... to vent fuel vapour safely I believe......

Mike Salvador
Canberra Australia
1982 X 1/9 1995 Honda Integra/Acura VTIr
Yup activated charcoal that which absorbs hydrocarbons. When warmed or when additional air is drawn through the canister it releases the hydrocarbons to be part of the intake charge.

They can get ‘waterlogged‘ meaning they can over time or if raw fuel gets into the matrix will no longer work properly. this happens on modern cars when people overfill their gas tanks. Unlikely on an X.

Yes, having a charcoal canister is great to keep the stink out of your garage. For my K20 swap I wanted to find a more compact solution on the X so I bought a 2019(ish) motorcycle charcoal canister for a Suzuki GSX 250R.
IMG_5736.JPG

As you can see it is the diameter of the early X strut tower opening (like a mini Red Bull can). I hope to mount it in the space directly behind the filler on the early car and not have it anywhere in the engine bay.

Still looking for some manual or documentation on how it all works but that's for a future post.

Back