What is this bolt for???

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I found this long skinny bolt laying on top of the alternator mount in my 124 Sedan. I am not sure if it fell out of something or if someone in the past just dropped it and couldn't find it.

Looks too flimsy to be for anything engine related. It is 3.5" (about 90mm) long and 1/8" (about 3mm) in diameter with a small rectangular head.

Any body have any idea what it is for? I looked thru the MWB 124 nuts and bolts section and didn't see any match.

I was take a look

Thanks Bjorn. I will check thatt tomorrow

Looks like they are all there

Bjorn,

Good guess on your part, it looks like that is the proper sized bolt to hold the alt together. The alt looks like it has been in there a long time, but all the alt case bolts are in place. The starter is right there as well and it looks new. Perhaps this was misplaced when rebuilding or replacing one of those units.

I will keep looking as I poke around the car some more.

Looks like a starter motor bolt... the one that holds the starter together, (but that could be longer) as that uses an unusual head design that fits into a recess...

SteveC

Thanks Steve

My money is that it is from the old starter. Looking in the engine bay, the starter is shiny black with the paste on labels still in place and the new DFEV is shiny too. Everything else looks vintage. ;)

Back