What kind of car is that?

The one that got to me was when I noticed a hot looking college girl checking out the X. So I smiled at her. Then she said, "cute looking car". I guess it's a 'hair dressers car' after all.

I have to say that the constant reference to my "Mister Two", Tr-7, and "your little MG" is starting to get tiresome. I get that I live on a different planet than everyone else (apparently). But, come on! My responses are starting to reveal a developing angry psychosis or at least are starting to get unpleasant.

Last edited:
I was reading this thread and wondering why most people who approach me to chat know that my car is a Fiat X1/9. I just posted a couple of photos that include my '82 X -- the one I have driven the most -- and it dawned on me that having gold stripes on both sides with big letters "X1/9", and smaller letters "FIAT" probably helps! :D

Quite a few years ago, when I only owned the '82 X, and it was my daily driver, I was filling it up at a nearby gas station. Another fellow proudly mentioned that he also owned an X1/9, but an extremely low-mileage car that he barely ever drove, in order to preserve it. Indeed, he was there with some other rather bland car. Afterwards, the following thought popped into my head: "If you can't drive your dream-car every day, you might as well wake up." I'm blessed to be able to drive my dream-cars, whichever I happen to choose that day -- the two sporty X's and my current daily driver the futuristic 500e.

Last edited:
you never know with folks. Sadly, it seems to me like I usually get the fueling station inquiries when I'm in a hurry. Last year i was fueling my 128 wagon & a guy walked by & said, "what year is your Fiat?" I told him & he said he had one, a convertible, but hadn't driven it in a while. I was surprised he recognized the car as a Fiat but maybe he simply saw the badge. I found out later one of the compounding reasons his car is still languishing being undriven is that he is currently doing prison time for embezzlement.

Also once, a colleague from another department noticed my 2003 Fiat Freakout panoramic photo in my office. She said, "oh, I have one of those cars." I was expecting the next thing she said to be something about a Spider, but to my surprise she went on to tell me how she had a Scorpion, it had been parked in the basement for many years now but it had been her daily driver well into the 1980s after purchasing it from a family friend/dealer in 1978. So, yeah, you never know.

Back