**** What should be Xweb 2.0's "default" SORT ORDER? ****

Should the overall "Default" sort order be Chrono mode or Bump mode?

• I want the starting default to be CHRONO (aka thread start date) mode

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I want the starting default to be BUMP (aka last reply date) mode

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • I have no preference, whichever view is acceptable

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
You must be logged in to vote, but logged/displayed results are anonymous (logging in only tracks whether you voted, not how)...

MY QUESTION: Should the overall forum "default" sort order from which all pages operate (without having to select it manually) be set to "chrono mode" (aka "thread start date") or "bump mode" (aka "last reply date")?

As you all know, "UserCP>EditOptions" is the answer to everything around here in terms of "saving" your own personal view preferences etc, tree vs digest forum views, linear/hybrid/threaded thread views, etc etc.

All this time I somehow thought "thread sort order" (eg: 'chrono' vs 'bump') also had a setting in UserCP>EditOptions that you could "save" your preference to override the "forum default" and associate your view pref with your account.

Jake popped up in Not BS to ask me how, so he would not have to keep re-selecting his sort preference in the "display options" box at the bottom of the forum sections pages every time he would come or go. I was shocked to discover, and sincerely was not aware, this setting is NOT included in UserCP!

Anyway I researched this and discovered there IS a save-able option in the system (knew I had seen it somewhere, but...) it's in the ADMIN (!) CP which means there is currently no way to "save" a "persistent" preference at the user level, all there is is, a way for ME to set what is the overall default value for everyone (meaning, I can change which selection is automatically loaded into the display options drop-menus when you enter a section, but I cannot make it so you can save your own :()

SO all we can do (for now...) is to have me set an overall default for everyone, then if you want a different sort (thread start date vs last reply date) you unfortunately do have to go down there and select it for yourself each time. Sorry I think that sucks but for now it's all I can offer because to hack that to become a "save-able" thing for each user would be a task beyond my ability at the moment... I WILL make note to research/pursue this further if possible but for now...

Please vote your preference and whatever the majority are trying to use for the setting that's what we'll make the default. I know it's a pain for those who end up in the minority would have to go manually select their sort all the time, I am sorry, but to look on the bright side, even like this it is still offering more user-selectable freedom on it than N54 did...

It was hard for me to get involve with Xweb 1.0 for that very reason as well, only because it was the proverbial "bomb" in regards to X info, was i able to.

Back