What size socket for crank pulley

Wayne

True Classic
Will need to get belt installer tool to get wp belt on. What socket size do I need to attach to crank?

...or 36mm if it's a '87/'88 era carb'ed car in this part of the world 😬

belt installer tool
Is the "tool" need related to this:
:confused:

If so, perhaps try this instead:

The tool you can get for $5 on Ebay.
I never knew such a thing existed or how it would be used - personally I'd save the cash and use the starter motor method as described having double checked the caveats stated - you'll not need the crank socket for this method, but if you did want to turn the engine over by hand to pull the belt on, then it would be handy.

Have you got the "correct" length belt though? Worth checking it's 825mm:

Last edited:
I have the a/c so there is a double pulley. Would be better if I can hold the belt in place with a zip tie but no holes....

I have the a/c so there is a double pulley. Would be better if I can hold the belt in place with a zip tie but no holes....
If you have a fuel injected car with A/C, you need to split the pulley. 3 M6 flange nuts; use a 10 mm socket. With the nuts removed, it will take a bit of wiggling to get the pulley half off. When you put this together again, note that the 3 studs are not evenly spaced, and the pulley half will only fit in one orientation. It will almost fit in other orientations.

You should put the particulars of your car in your signature to help people help you. There are at least four different belt / pulley arrangements, and without knowing what you have, odds of getting it wrong are 75%...

Last edited:
Not all FI A/C cars have the "split" pulley...well at least one of mine doesn't.

I've made this comment before and I will say it again. I do NOT condone any method of V-belt installation that involves stretching the belt on (e.g. a stretch tool, starter motor bump, pry bars, etc). The pulley/belt configuration on X's is not a good design, and especially on A/C equipped engines. So I modify the mounts to allow more adjustment movement of the components to allow normal belt installation/removal - without stretching it.

I did get 2 of the 4 bolts on the housing but couldn't get the lower two to align. Just a fraction off. How did you modify the mounts?

I did get 2 of the 4 bolts on the housing but couldn't get the lower two to align. Just a fraction off. How did you modify the mounts?
Unfortunately there isn't one straightforward answer to your question. Because it depends on your specific arrangement and where your components are limited in movement (adjustment range). That's due to the fact Fiat had a few different belt and pulley configurations, even for the FI 1500 with AC...not to mention all the other variants. But basically it involves cutting, grinding, welding, etc. I remove material anywhere that is contacting - off the actual components' housings, and the mounting brackets or castings. Then I modify the brackets accordingly to increase the travel as needed. These mods also mean I source new belts of the correct length to allow proper installation and removal with the new adjustment range.

Pump body to block and that's after hours of back and forth feeling the thread holes. Didn't want to force the 2 bottom bolts on and damage the threading in the engine block. I then tried loosening the 10m bolts on the impeller and the 13m bolts on the housing to get some slack but I ripped two gaskets already. Will try again with a third gasket if the tool doesn't work....

Check gasket to block, then if ok, check gasket to inside of housing. Mark any differences and you see what is needed to match the block. Hope this helps.

The wp housing gasket to engine block I would add tiny bits of adhesive to corners of unit to hold in place. Moving the unit up/down constantly against the block ruins it.

I then tried loosening the 10m bolts on the impeller and the 13m bolts on the housing to get some slack but I ripped two gaskets already.
Perhaps I misunderstood you, but yes, as a general rule of assembly - leave all bolts (very) loose until they are all installed, then tighten.

Back