Whats my next project car?

tobydmv

True Classic
Gang, I recently picked up a '75 Fulvia and love it but I cant really take the family for rides in it. The back seat is a joke, it should be a parcel shelf. I need a fun sporty sedan, big coupe, or 4 door with a 5 speed and carbs. Something like an Alfa 105 berlina but affordable. 1970's BMW 2002 would be an option but those prices are going nuts as well.

Options?
Lancia 2000 berlina - affordable, 2 liter, 5 speed, but has Fi, Nice example
Fiat 124 sedan, kinda rare, maybe too small for family trucking, might be fun engine swap project?
BMW Bavaria, devine drool factor, has carbs, 5 speed, rare
BMW 2002, back seat might also be too small, but has the rest

So what do you recommend?
Thanks,
Toby

Last edited:
I have always had a sweet spot for the 2002 even though I have never had one.
same with the datsun 510, same box look.

odie

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular comment here, but for anything that will carry the family I would not get anything Italian. Not enough room, not comfortable/convenient, not reliable, just not practical. We tried several Italian options for hauling the family and none proved to be good. A German sedan will make the gang much happier. Lots of very cool 70's and early 80's options from BMW, MB, Audi....and a world of difference for that purpose. However leave the others at home and then you can enjoy a fun Italian sports car.

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular comment here, but for anything that will carry the family I would not get anything Italian. Not enough room, not comfortable/convenient, not reliable, just not practical. We tried several Italian options for hauling the family and none proved to be good. A German sedan will make the gang much happier. Lots of very cool 70's and early 80's options from BMW, MB, Audi....and a world of difference for that purpose. However leave the others at home and then you can enjoy a fun Italian sports car.

Very true, I sold my 1987 bmw 325i convertible a few months back. It was a 2 door but the back seat was very roomy. My son absolutely loved it. I feel like an old Bavaria is a sensible option if I can find one.

I love old BMW's and MB's: 2002, 320i, early 530i, early E-class, almost any wagon from either of them, and many more to choose from. Certain models have become too expensive now, but there are still lots of real bargains that haven't taken off yet (but certainly will, so they're also good investments).

How about a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth? Prices are on the rise but they’re still affordable unless it’s in concours condition.

Mercedes 500e would be the choice from that era of Mercedes..

IMO, the BMW M3 from that same era was a better overall car than the Mercedes 190_2.3_16 valve cosworth headed mercedes engine special.

Bernice

How about a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth? Prices are on the rise but they’re still affordable unless it’s in concours condition.

The original post says he wants a carbed car. That would mean some late 70's and most 80's cars would be excluded because of being fuel injected.

The obvious answer is.....a '79 or '80 Fiat Brava

5 speed...yup
2.0 L twin cam
Carbed
roomy and comfy...yet sporty

My last non Fiat project car was a Mazda 323 GTX, Turbo All wheel drive, but it was a junkyard find and a bit more project than I wanted so I sold it. Then like that line from a song "I wasn't looking but some how you found me" My son parked a 1998 Subaru Outback, 5spd in my yard. He wanted $500 for it, I can't pass on cheap so I bought it. I did not know what I was going to do with it then I looked at it and it hit me. I raised it with Forester struts, put skid plate, light bar, roof rack, big AT tires, Olive Drab paint is next. I am only a hour from Joshua Tree and there are a lot of dirt roads between. My vote for your project Toby would be the Fiat124 sedan, the most affordable on your project list.

Fiat 128 sedan
Datsun 510
Alfa Romeo Giulia sedan
Ford Cortina
'60s Dodge Dart with a stick :cool:

125.jpg

i love this..fast as an alfa giulia, with more refined interiors..dont know if was marketed in the US though

@MikeHynes that is lovely but has a slush box tranny!!! :confused:
@DaveR I have been looking at that listing for about a year and if it was the convertible it'd be in my driveway, sadly the styling is not for me.

Can anyone speak to a 124 sedan interior space? I had 3 spyders in my past and tranny tunnel and shaft took up a lot of interior space. Seems like the alfa tranny is farther into the engine compartment and there's more room as a result.

The Barvaria, what a tank!
As in "bulletproof". It will last forever and be extremely reliable. However unlike a tank it handles well, is very comfortable, and drives excellent. ;) And I've seen some great examples, including customs that looked exceptional.

Back