wheel alignment/tracking

Update: went to the alignment shop and was a little disappointed. friendly enough but they put the car on the ramp and complained that the car was too narrow for the ramp but definitely too short for the plates under the wheels; the rears were just about on the plates and I wonder if this is giving the odd results below.

You will also see that the toe bears no measurement unit so I assume it is mm; not sure how to compare this to NEG's degrees target.

From the data, it seems that the wheels are pigeon toed at the front and duck footed at the rear; the caster is beyond NEG's target but within the specs on the shop's database.

For all the above the car handles well, apart from the pull to the left, which the shop says their data indicates it should pull to the right. NB the steering wheel is misaligned to the right also; i will be changing the track rod end ball joints so I suppose that I can deal with that before taking it back for alignment?

Looks like I have to find another shop, but any comments so far on the above and the table below?

View from within cabinTarget
RearLeft sideRight sideTotalTotal
toe+5.8 (mm?)+3.00 (mm?)+8.80 (mm?)0 deg 20' +/-0 deg 05'0 deg 40'
camber-1 deg 18'-1 deg 12'-1 deg 15' +/-30'
castern/an/an/an/an/a
Front
toe-4.30 (mm?)-0.60 (mm?)-4.90 (mm?)0 deg 20' +/- 0 deg 04'0 deg 40' +/- 0 deg 08'
camber-1deg 32'-0 deg 10'0 deg 50' +/- 0 deg 30'
caster-1 deg 32'-0 deg 10'6 deg 50' +/-30'
Total Bias0deg 13' to right

Conversion table…
The caster looks way out and rear toe, find a better shop RDS
Thanks NEG

the earlier table copied over incorrectly so for completeness here is the correct table. As you will see the setting are out of spec.

View from within cabin
RearLeft sideRight sideTotalTargetTotal
toe+5.8mm = 60'+3.00mm = 31'+8.80mm = 91'0 deg 20' +/-0 deg 05'0 deg 40'
camber-1 deg 18'-1 deg 12'-1 deg 15' +/-30'
castern/an/an/an/an/a
Front
toe-4.30mm = -44'-0.60mm = -6'-4.90mm = -50'0 deg 20' +/- 0 deg 04'0 deg 40' +/- 0 deg 08'
camber-1deg 32'-0 deg 10'0 deg 50' +/- 0 deg 30'
caster+6 deg 22'+6 deg 26'6 deg 50' +/-30'
Total Bias0deg 13' to right

Question for NEG: did Black Boots have a ramp with plates that were sufficiently adjustable longitudinally to accommodate the x1/9 wheelbase?

Last edited:
Re BB yes their lift accommodates x1/9s just fine

Here’s my old 1500 undergoing some heat persuasion before alignment

Your shocks could be worn but check tyre pressure first and how old are the tyres?

Cheers NEG, I recognise that technician at BB!

I just edited the thread to remove the q re suspension, but as you have already kindly responded, here was the question:
"My ride is odd: it feels like I am on my hard-tail motorcycle: even on a flat road I feel like the rear is oscillating vertically. Would the odd wheel alignment cause this or do have square tyres or is my suspension worn? I will do a bounce test in a moment."

The bounce test on all corners shows stability imposed after one bounce so I assume that is good.

Tyres are not new so may not be supple, however I do not get the same issue with cars having older tyres.

Pressures ok.

I put this restlessness down to the car being narrow and with a short wheelbase at first but on reflection, I think that is not the answer.

Engine mountings would be my next suspicion but there are no speaks and I have put silicone spray into them a c9uple of times to no effect.

A steering wheel out of line is common when replacing track rods ends on older vehicles. Track rod ends can be wound in too much one side and not enough the other (different length of threaded portion on after market parts), you can get the wheel alignment spot on, but your steering wheel may be off centre. You might be able to move it round a spline, or , wind out one track rod end a couple of turns and the other in. You then need to realign the wheels again. Or you might have to live with a bit of steering wheel misalignment.
Regarding the suspension set up. From experience most garages don't have the knowledge or equipment, and some motorsports garages might but look down their noses at something so unexotic. I can recommend RGS Motorsport, but that may be too far out of your way.
If the car hasn't been in an accident and the front suspension is in reasonable order then it shouldn't be far out. If somebody has had the rear suspension apart then it could be a long way out, but that would again be unusual as the adjustable parts are usually rusted solid.
If things are out of alignment then look for the cause why, worn bushes?

From what I have seen on the car, I think the PO has had a few fiddles on a lot of components, so who knows. The steering wheel is at ten o'clock/four o'clock which really annoys me. Moving it over a spline or three has not been fun on other cars so I was hoping to avoid here; and whilst the ball joins are replaced to wind then in more accurately.

The radius arm bushes are past their best, I know, but I have not checked other bushes. If the thing has to come apart, might as well do the lot at the same time....but that is easier said than done no doubt.

Thanks for the link to RGS: yes sadly a little too far. re the garages point, yes I agree entirely.

Back