Wheel Bearing Assistance

halojm

True Classic
So I borrowed all the original Fiat tools to do wheel bearings (yes, I'll take pictures and post them-it's kind of cool to see the Fiat markings on them) and I'll have them for about a month. If anyone in the Philadelphia area needs to replace their wheel bearings, let me know, you can bring over your carriers and I'll help you change them in record time. Just thought I'd offer... Dave

WheelBearingTool.jpg

Last edited:
This is what makes this particular hobby so great. If you want to learn how to fix it again yourself, someone is out there offering to teach you. The generosity of our group never fails to impress me.

:grouphug:

My thanks also Dave... the SPIRIT you represent is something...

... this site has been FAMOUS for. We've had a "glitch" or two... but its folks like you that make this site Xceptional.

Great Offer!

In my case, I do not have any current plans to replace wheel bearings as I'm pretty sure they are serviceable (no discernable related problems).

But the offer is *appreciated*!

Identification question

Hi Dave,

I bought a set of Fiat tools off Ebay last year. This is what I got:

IM002333.jpg

The 6-sided tool looks to be about the size of the smallest in your picture. Mine measures 2" across from edge to edge. Do you know what this tool is for. I assume it is a bearing tool, but for what car? It is way too small for the late rear bearing rings.

Thanks!!

Jim,

2inch (50 or 51mm) across the flats will make it a four speed X19 / 128 / 127 wheel bearing lockring retainer removal tool .... from memory the 5 speed rear retainer removal tool is about 57mm (2 1/4 inch) across the flats.

SteveC

I second what Steve said,

and those other tools to retorque the head bolts/nuts are worth their weight in gold.

Dave

Thanks Steve

I was hoping you would say it was the tool for the early Xs. I have a 78, I just haven't had to change out a bearing on it... yet. So now I know I have the tool. I just can't let the car know, that would certainly make a bearing go bad. :)

The late rear rings are about 57mm. I made my own tool for those. I used a hub tool for a 3/4 Ford 4x4 truck. I had to do some chopping and grinding, but it worked great in the end. Here is the old thread in case anyone else needs to fab one up:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/1215...es----+long+post+----+with+pics--+and+SUCCESS!!!!

Made one for a Lancia ring too when I mistakenly thought the ring would fit the late rear on the X. :(

Thanks Dave

I picked this set up off of Ebay last year. I paid $30 shipped, guess I got lucky. :)

I would gladly loan these out as well. Maybe we should set up a "Loaner Tool Crib" thread where everyone can post what they have to offer?

VERY handy selection of tools there, Jim!

As you have found out on your earlier bearing replacement 'experience', if you have got special tools designed for the purpose ready at hand, it takes no time to get the job done!

Hey Jim - keep a good eye on those tools, buddy!
You never know WHO may come begging for a loan of them one day!! :)

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back