Wheel bearings (one side)...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Today was a long day. It started picking up where I left off yesterday doing the brakes at all four corners. Moving to the front, I decided it was a good time to renew the bearings which were rumbling noticeably.

First task was loosening the tie-rod joint and lower hub pivot joint. These came loose using the 2-hammer method and some 4 pound hammers (really small sledge hammers).

I used my Makita 14v impact driver to remove the axle nut. I have a 12-ton Harbor Freight press and used it to press off the axle from the hub bearing. Then the fun started. I resorted to heating up the hub to help loosen the bearing retainer, which I have the correct tool for. The bearing pressed out using a 30mm socket and the press. Fortunately the bearing stayed together. I washed everything in my 20 gallon parts washer that uses paint thinner.

After that it was simply a matter of pressing things together using the old bearings as tools with the press. Finally the passenger side front is ready to reinstall. The brake on that corner also has a new rotor, pads and hose. Tomorrow, or perhaps next weekend, will see the other side done and then it will be time for the fun; a test drive.

In this pic you can see how the inner race of the bearing is pitted:
IMG_0993.jpg

In this pic you can just barely see a little overall roughness of the outer race. The balls are also barely discolored.
IMG_0994.jpg

Talk to Bayless

They have complete rebuilt hubs ready to install for about the same price as just the new bearings. This way you don't have to go through the hassel of pulling every thing apart. They are worth a look.

Warren

Good to know...

Part of the fun is figuring out how to do it myself. This way I can do it again later if need be. Also, no listing for rebuilt hubs in the Scorpion section of their site.

I see the parts...

But the prices are about 5x what I paid for the bearing. :shock2:

For someone with fewer tools and facilities, and/or gumption, this would be a great way to go if the postage wasn't too bad.

This kind of part offering is very helpful, as are kits and complete sets of things like fuel lines. I hope complete sets and/or kits at a slight discount become the norm. This is how it is with my Vanagon's parts.

Back