Wheel choices are boggling my mind

Fiatfiend

True Classic
We're getting close to beginning the start of the preparations for thinking about the possibilities for wheels for our 1978 X :), since we don't even have four steelies that match.

I've used the search extensively, but nothing quite answers the question.

I'm going to say what we're hoping for and you reply. OK, here goes:

1. They have to be readily obtainable and fairly cheap, say less than $300 for four?

2. They have to require no adaptation. I wanna be able to bolt them on and go. No clearence issues either. The front of our X has been lowered slightly, I think, but I doubt that's an issue.

3. I think my wife would like something slightly flashy. Something rarely seen because most people think they look a little odd is OK, I believe. Something a notch up from the steelies we have now, anyway - even if we had a matching set. Lighter weight would be good too.

A matching set of steelies would be fine with me, but I'm trying to give her input.

4. We'd like something for which I can find tires easily and when assembled gives me something very close to -- if not a match for -- stock diameter. I'd like to be able to roughly trust the speedo.

What comes to mind?

Dave

Best bet is a set of Cromodora CD-91

Hi Dave,

For all your criteria I would say your best bet is to find a set of Cromodora CD-91 wheels. They were the stock X1/9 allow wheel for probably 3-4 years in the early 80s. They are true Fiat wheels, 4x98 bolt pattern 5"x13" and you can find street tires fairly easily. Performance tires is another ball of wax.

Here is a picture of a set I sold last fall. Watch Ebay and the Xweb FS&W and you will find a set eventually.

cd913en.jpg

There is a set on Ebay right now that needs a repaint, but is going pretty cheap with only 1 hour left on the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiat...Accessories&hash=item2a121a5be2#ht_500wt_1047

Not very blingy, but they are the correct wheel for the car and will keep the speedo close to stock with the right tires.

Good luck!

We're looking at those right now...

And we just may buy them, even though I thought we weren't ready. :guitar:

Thanks, Jim!

This is Mrs. Fiantfiend....thanks for your photo, Jim! Yours looked much nicer than the pic on ebay...I like the all silver/chrome of yours rather than with the black. I did go ahead and bid on the ones you mentioned, and am now awaiting their arrival! :thumbsup:

They are a nice wheel for sure.

Check out Tom's polished CD-91 wheels.

IMG_0699.jpg

I am sure there is a lot of effort required to get the wheel shiny like this, but it looks nice. A good "wheel silver" rattle can paint job will serve you well for a couple years.

Here is a set of Cromodora CD-31 wheels I rattle canned a few years ago.
im0013402fu.jpg

A better close up of one wheel:
IM001632.jpg

It does not hold up forever, but it is a good cheap starting point to get your wheels looking good soon. Prep work is the key. Sand the old paint down, prime and paint.

Total price

This is the Fiend.

The total price, including shipping and the whole works, was $152. I hope that's good. I'll check FS&W to see what folks have asked, but that feels like a steal.

That's good

$152 total is pretty darn good. I think I sold my set for $175 + shipping

Great

Jim,

I really appreciate the quick help. I think you clued us into a bargain. And more importantly, you helped get Shari into the whole thing. I totally let her make the call and place the bid on the wheels. I think the winning bid was $102.

Can paint strippers remove that paint or do you think we'll have to have them bead blasted? Shari really likes the bright look. We really don't have garage space for the Fiat yet, and working on the wheels in our basement would give us a nice winter project.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:
Aircraft stripper

I think a paint stripper should work or at least give you a hand in getting most of the old paint off. Try some aircraft paint stripper and see if it makes a dent. (Hopefully someone can make a specific recommendation on a brand)

I have read on other forums that its best not to remove the primer as these wheels are magnesium and you need a special base coat. I would just sand back the top coat and paint over the original primer. Faster and cheaper.

I definitely agree on the original CD-31 and CD-30

They probably shouldn't be stripped. On my CD-31s I did as you described and hand sanded down to the primer.

However, I am not so sure that the CD-91 is magnesium. Histowheels lists the CD-31 and CD-30 as "Magnesium",
http://www.histowheels.com/Cromodora/Cromodora-CD-31/
http://www.histowheels.com/Cromodora/Cromodora-CD-30/

but lists the CD-91 as "Alloy"
http://www.histowheels.com/Cromodora/Cromodora-CD-91/

Still, better safe than sorry. I won't profess to be certain that paint stripper will not damage the CD-91, so maybe hand sanding or media blasting is the way to go.

Anyone out there have a definitive answer?

Mags

Yup...at lease some of them. Early CD-91's were magnesium. Later they were Aluminum. I heard some called Magnesium alloy, which may or may not be accurate. At least one of my rims is magnesium, stamped on the back, and bent :(

follow up

One of my wheels is stamped CD91 the rest are stamped CD91A. My guess is the CD91 is magnesium, the CD91A is either "Alloy" or Aluminum.

IMO CD91's look better on 1500 big bumper cars and look more "correct" 1300's need either factory steelies or aftermarket '70's style wheels like the Western Tornado/Hurricane's and others. BWA Sport stars, Daytona's or Asens wheels like Tom or Tony has, just to name a few. American Libra's can look nice as well.

what a lot of information

Thanks, everyone.

The seller called them alloy wheels, but may or may not know what he or she is talking about. Looking at the pictures again, it almost looks like what I thought was bare alloy is white paint.

I've had really good luck with high-quality rattle can paint. Maybe the thing to do both from a need-a-winter-project, price and no-damage point of view, is to sand them smooth and glossy, scotch brite them and use some good argent rattle can stuff.

I'll need center caps. Since this was a car sold BY FIAT I guess a Fiat badge is the way to go. But I like the b bertone logo better. Would that be incorrect?

Finally, I think I have about 10 chrome wheel stud/caps included in the stash I bought. Some are buggered up. What's on the car are painted flat black. I'll need at least six (or maybe 8 or 10) chrome ones to replace the ugly ones.

One thing leads to another.

OK, need to work...

You could use any center cap you wish. Just like you can use any wheels you wish. The "Fiat" centers would be more period correct, but both centers are correct. :thumbsup:

I guess I'll need 16...

Just discovered that the alloy wheels require special studs and caps. I'm learning a lot. :doh:

You shouldn't need studs and caps :huh: Every X1/9 I've owned has had CD91's on them stock and they used single bolt style lugs. Some aftermarket wheels such as my BWA's require a longer conical lug, but not studs. Studs are the best option to have IMO, but not necessarily "needed". Check eBay there are currently a full set of chrome/polished stock lugs for alloy wheels for $64 + shipping. There are a difference in the lugs for steel wheels and alloys. The alloys lugs are conical and the steelies lugs are flat.

Mike... both are conical

The Fiat lugs for steelies and alloy wheels are both conical. The difference is that the alloy lug's thread length is longer due to the thicker mounting surface of the alloy wheel.

Back