Wheel studs, nuts, bolts and "conversions"...

You can get threaded rod in the 10.9 which many studs seem to be made of. I'm not sure what grade bolts the factory ones are.
The problem may getting a hardened grade like that in the odd Fiat thread pitch (M12 1.25)?

The problem may getting a hardened grade like that in the odd Fiat thread pitch (M12 1.25)?

Grainger has it as well.... All U.S. sources so far though... Where's the face palm smiley.

From an engineering perspective threaded rod is a poor choice.

rather than type out a tome about why, I'll just take a snap shot of the page from the go to book about suspension related issues, Fred Puhn's "how to make your car handle"
20221115_114755.jpg

20221115_114814.jpg

SteveC

Well the studs Bayless sells are a fail then, they do not have near the shoulder shown in your diagram. Even these $310 studs are not up to the task. I'm not arguing, I do see your point and it absolutely makes sense. My question is how much of a difference can it make? The only way I can see to make that work would be to have custom studs made to fit the rim.
4C_black_race_conversionkit_a.jpg

Thinking more on this.... Sorry ;)

With the X nuts being basically little wedges and looking at that top right (wrong) picture specifically, would the wedge shaped nuts not act at least in part (I would think better) than having a shoulder that fit in the rims lug hole. The nuts are pretty much a press fit where the wheel has to be free to slip over the stud, also the shouldered section in their "best" picture the shoulder would have to be shorter to accommodate the encroachment of the nut.

That's a good reminder that I have that book on my shelf. Funny. To a degree, none of the diagrams fully represent the typical tapered lug nut/bolt setup. .

My thoughts were (are?) along the lines of replicating the section where the nut & wheel meet, the threaded shaft & the section where the wheel meets the hub (spacer in the case of all stock Fiats I think). So, to that end tapered nuts with studs (assuming correct materials) seems to match. The cut/modified rod I used years ago had strength comparable with any lug bolt/stud, but wasn't hardened so much care was needed mounting/dismounting wheels. My own purposes for studs has always been to simplify mount/dismount or for longer threads (for instance when running Biturbo wheels) vs. for spacers. I did recently acquire a 124 BC on which the PO had installed some impressively wide spacers (Momo stuff...maybe that's what you can get at AutoZone in Italy?) with less impressively long lug bolts (grrhhh!) for apparently the singular reason of looking cool.

Back