Wheels

How big are your fender flares Willy? :) Hussein has them on his Dallara. Heed the many warnings on the VIsc's page and be prepared to modify your fenders.
IMG-8174.jpg

As far as I know, my fenders aren't flared at all. Are we talking rolling with a baseball bat or something more serious?

All I know is what I read on the Vick's page. Sounds like you roll and pull until you get clearance. And you need a set of coil overs to free up room inboard.

We installed the VAS coil overs (Hydrasport) a few years ago, so we should be ok on that front. My mechanic has a proper lip roller, so fingers crossed. Looking to do this in the fall.

I have these as well. I wish you luck. Not sure if rolling will work.

20180208_170321.jpg

With no spacers and flares
20180929_161530.jpg

Odie

According to the info on the site, the inside of the wheels' outer rim will be 1/2" beyond (outside of) the fender at its widest point. Keep in mind the majority of the fender is considerably narrower than that widest point at the very top. And the outside of that outer wheel rim is almost another 1/2 in width. Also these fenders have a very beefy inner structure that takes up a lot of width inside. Plus your tires may be even wider than the wheel (unless you "stretch" them, which I do not recommend for safety sake). So you are looking at a minimum of about 1-1/2" of fender widening, likely much more. Even then it would still leave quite a bit of exposure at the lower portions of the fenders. Not to mention the added room needed for steering - turning of the front wheels - while moving up and down with travel. Rolling and pulling can only go so far. The skills and experience of the person doing the rolling/pulling will be a factor, but this is a LOT to ask. At least without obvious damage and distortion of the bodywork. Without flares I think you will end up with the wheel/tire sticking outside of the entire fender panel. That will significantly restrict the ride height and increase rubbing issues. Flares not only widen the fender at the top, but all along its arch, and they allow removal of the inner fender lip. So they provide a lot of additional clearance beyond their width, which translates to more wheel travel and turning (steering) clearance.
I'm not saying you cannot mount them, just be aware of what you will likely end up with.

Also take this opportunity to check the condition of the dampeners inside those coilovers. I found they only lasted a few miles before there was very little dampening action left. [Note: I did not name a specific brand, model, or supplier of coilover.] But Willy, I'm talking to you. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks all, from reading this, I’ll have to pass on the wheels, looks like a simple lip roll is not going to help. I’ll keep looking. My all time favorite wheels are CD50 I think. The 5 star ones like Ferrari used on many cars. Not likely to ever find a set of those.

Keep in mind. It isnt the 15 inch that causes the issue. Its mainly the 0 offset. There are other 15s that have a better offset that allows for it to fit under the stock fenders. Or if you did adapters there are even more in the 4x100 bolt circle.

Odie

Willy,

Just for reference. The Cromodora "Daytona" wheels came in various sizes and lug patterns.
IM001632.JPG

For the X, I have seen cars with the CD-50 (14x6) and the CD-31 (13x5.5). The CD-31 seems more common for the X. I think Ricardo has a set of CD-50s on his X, most of the rest of us have the CD-31s. Here is a PDF I managed to snag of the defunct HistoWheels website that is fairly complete in covering the Cromodora wheels.

Attachments

• Cromodora _ Histowheels - vintage wheels, old wheels, historic rims, Felgen.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,404
Thanks... Looking through it seems like there are several of that style, but not listed as being for the X. I'd like to move up from the 13" so I can have more/better tire options.

Thanks... Looking through it seems like there are several of that style, but not listed as being for the X. I'd like to move up from the 13" so I can have more/better tire options.
You might want to look closely at the selection of tires available in 14" and 15" that fit the X. It is pretty limited just like the 13" tires. There are certainly a few more brand choices in 15", but make sure you check the specs for fitment.

Willy,

Just for reference. The Cromodora "Daytona" wheels came in various sizes and lug patterns.
View attachment 23649
For the X, I have seen cars with the CD-50 (14x6) and the CD-31 (13x5.5). The CD-31 seems more common for the X. I think Ricardo has a set of CD-50s on his X, most of the rest of us have the CD-31s. Here is a PDF I managed to snag of the defunct HistoWheels website that is fairly complete in covering the Cromodora wheels.
I have a set of CD-120 (13x6) very hard to find in this country.
fullsizeoutput_162.jpeg

Next to my CD-31 (13x5.5)
IMG_1274.JPG

CD-31 on top, CD-120 on bottom
fullsizeoutput_164.jpeg

Back