When you don't trust your torque wrench

Carl, you exhibited great mechanic's intuition. The same exact thing happens on cam boxes too. You're within 1 lb of torque wrench "clicking" and then the aluminum threads in the head give out. When I can tell it should be clicking and doesn't I give up with the torque wrench then go back to standard ratchet. If it feels as snug as the others that did click, I call it quits.

While the engineers in the crowd will wince, it is my firm belief that In almost every automotive mechanical scenario, a couple ft lbs too loose is always the better choice than a few ft/lbs too tight.

Those crossmember bolts you were wrestling with do not have to be torqued to maximum spec, they simply have to be "tight" and locked into place with the folding plates. I've never used a torque wrench, actually...

-M

Last edited:
I tend to the German dictum of Gutentight for most of the fasteners I install.

This failed me once on a 124 Coupe sway bar stud which turned itself off, OK I turned it off. Sorry Lavin...

Thanks Matt, I'm going to put your response on my trophy wall.
Speaking of millennials changing tires, I can personally say that none of my four adult kids know how to change a flat tire...but they do all know how to call their dad.

My kids had to learn how to shift gears , check fluids, change a wheel, etc...actually they all had to learn how to keep beater cars running. They’ve grown up with friends who’s parents buy them a pretty new nice Audi or something as a first car, so I guess the fact that they did not completely rebel on me is a good thing.

So, maybe my torque wrench is fine, but I run into dirty threads or weakened metal...good stuff here.

Thanks Matt, I'm going to put your response on my trophy wall.
Speaking of millennials changing tires, I can personally say that none of my four adult kids know how to change a flat tire...but they do all know how to call their dad.
You need to teach your kids better. My daughter's friends call her to help change a tire.

Or get them one of these and tell them not to bother you:
MM_Membership-Card-Plus_228x150.png

Apparently dad is a lot cheaper than AAA membership....which my wife would probably pay for them anyway. When my oldest had her first flat tire, she didn't even know her car came with a spare and a jack.

I gave my three sons the three basic lessons of auto ownership: how and when to check the oil, how to check and maintain tire air pressure and changing a flat tire. Only my youngest turned into a gearhead like his old man...

Idiot lights will take care of the first two and apparently AAA will take care of the third one.
The important things to teach is when the gauges go dead and the motor stops, just spin the ceramic A fuse till contact is made again. If the inside of the windshield starts fogging up badly in nice weather you have about two seconds before your heater valve fails dramatically and burns the legs of the passenger and if the temp gauge shows running very hot then OK and then very hot, it's time to put some tape over it since the gauge or sending unit is shot. This may apply only classic Fiats but then what the hell else do we drive.

I torque essential things like wheel nuts, cylinder heads , rod caps and main bearings. Most other things I just go by feel with the appropriate size ratchet (1/4”, 3/8” , 1/2”, 3/4”) as needed. Making sure not to use tools that can exert excessive leverage/torque in any given situation is a must, IMO

Apparently dad is a lot cheaper than AAA membership....which my wife would probably pay for them anyway. When my oldest had her first flat tire, she didn't even know her car came with a spare and a jack.

Sad thing is many newer cars don’t come with any spare at all. Even a donut is now an optional purchase item. I don’t have a spare in the X1/9. Haven’t really considered how to incorporate one.

I like to tighten important bolts till the resistance starts to get easy again and then back off 1/4 turn.

I'm considering cutting out the spare tire retainer bracket...I'm tired of trying to poke my eye out while working through the dizzy access panel.

I'm considering cutting out the spare tire retainer bracket.
Already done on mine. I won't be carrying a spare so no need for that impaling rod. For the turbo project it allows a lot more flexibility to mount all the extra electronics, controls, etc.

Just saw this on facebook. Looks like grassroots motorsports is doing a vid on torque wrenches.
Let's talk torque! Tonight at 9pm eastern on Grassroots Motorsports Live! presented by CRC Industries, we'll be testing torque wrenches for every budget. Join us live with your questions and comments on our Facebook and YouTube channels.

Odie

Looks like grassroots motorsports is doing a vid on torque wrenches.
Let's talk torque! Tonight at 9pm eastern on Grassroots Motorsports Live!

Thanks for the tip Odie. Here's the link to the vid.

Haven't watched it all - it's an hour and 12 minutes of some guy talking!

Ya, I stopped looking at those weekly 'Grassroots Live' presentations after about 3 minutes of the first one I saw. Like SOOO much of the YouTube stuff, some idiot yakking on and on, saying nothing, because he likes listening to the sound of his own voice. No offense to anyone, I'm just not into social media of any form.

Ya, I stopped looking at those weekly 'Grassroots Live' presentations after about 3 minutes of the first one I saw. Like SOOO much of the YouTube stuff, some idiot yakking on and on, saying nothing, because he likes listening to the sound of his own voice. No offense to anyone, I'm just not into social media of any form.
I agree, I ignore 99% of those because of the same reason. but thought this was timely. Personally, I think rupunzel could make a good chunk of change if she did vids. Her knowledge and the way she presents things here I love. I actually thought it was strange she didnt pipe in yet :)

Odie

Back