When you step in front of the bus

"My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my cars and tools for what I told her they cost."
I wouldn't feel too bad, as she would be equally mortified if you sold her shoes, dresses, Jewelry and all the accessories around the house for what she told you they cost. "Oh that little vase, it was nothing."

My wife and I have a good idea of how much our personal collections are.

There is a story of a man that sold some chest of drawers full of dolls after his wife died.
The wife had told him for years that the dolls were worthless so when he sold the chests for a few dollars he threw in the dolls that he later found out were hundreds of dollars each.

My big worry is when I have one of my vehicles tore down that I will croak and she will be stuck with basically a pile of junk.

Years ago I was at a yard sale and a lady had a 350 Chevy basket case engine.

She wanted a hundred dollars for it. I looked it over and all the parts and gaskets were there and new. I told her what she had but she just wanted to get rid of all the stuff he had left behind and she knew nothing about.

I gave her the hundred and I took the engine home and put it together with hardly any trips to the parts store. The engine had been balanced and was just ready for assembly.

I don't have a will but do have an envelope that my wife knows about with instructions of what my few possessions might be worth.

Carl you can leave your cars to me, unfortunately given that your Mom is 96, you will likely outlast me so perhaps a younger candidate would be in order :)

By the time I need to divest of my toys there will be no one with any interest in old cars, the museums will be full of pristine examples so they will just scrap the damn things. My kids will not be interested (well, maybe my daughter).

An interesting and topical subject, if you look at all of our pictures there is a lot of gray hair around here. This will be a growing issue.

Well, on a more practical note, I'd simply photograph everything worth selling and catalog with year and description. maybe bundle boxes of bits (brake bits, engine bits, trim bits) and have a folder setup on your PC called Ebay, and just tell them to dump it on Ebay, all as $1 auctions, cash only, and buyer must pickup, with instructions to simply chuck it all on EBay.
Eugene, not offense but I think you are being too optimistic here. Even if any of us was that motivated and took things to that extent, I assure you the people we are leaving behind won't be. It will all end up in a dumpster despite all the effort to avoid it. I think Todd hit it on the head in this statement:
"Many of us have dealt with our parents "important treasures" that had to be disposed of."

but I think you are being too optimistic here.
Not too optimistic, as knowing the vultures that circle are when a loved one passes, if there's a dollar in it they're be interested (apologies for the cynicism). So by alerting those that be that there may actually be value in the 'pile of junk' you left behind, and you've got it all categorized and photographed ready to go, I'm sure they'll make an effort!

While I have bought many Fiat items on eBay with no problem, my one effort at selling some wheels was so disappointing that I would never ask my kids to get rid of my stuff via that route.
Obviously other car groups focused on cars from the same time period as our Fiats are probably going through the same issue. What a great article for Classic Motor Sports to do but typical of that magazine their solutions will not be practical to most of us.
As to making an inventory, mine (both cars and parts) changes on a monthly basis and is just not practical.

This is a discussion, and opinions will run many different ways. I will suggest here something that will not be popular: STOP HOARDING.

Many folks here have parts from a myriad of cars, some useful, some not. When you have stacks of parts and pieces that you haven't touched for years and years, get rid of them. Sell them (someone might need them), and after a reasonable time, get rid of them. I had wheels and bumpers and a few other things that I took to the recycling place and got some cash for. The remaining seat went in the trash. Other pieces went in the trash. Parts I tried to sell that had no market? Bye Bye.

If you have wheels, bumpers, seats, mufflers, broken or bent parts, from a car that you no longer own, and that are in such poor shape as to have no value, get rid of them.

My father in law passed away. He has two large garages FULL of contractors materials that he hadn't touched in MANY years. His family is now tasked with combing through it and will eventually need to hire someone to haul the vast majority of it away. It is a waste because most, if not all, of it is essentially junk. It might have been useful one day, and some components might be useful to one person on one occasion, but overall, it is just junk. I don't want to leave that for my family.

So, re-purpose (hard with some car parts), re-use (maybe, if I still have the car), or recycle (old wheels and bumpers and other junk with essentially no value). What will be left when I am gone are tools, and a completed car.

As to making an inventory, mine (both cars and parts) changes on a monthly basis and is just not practical.
Agree. Decades ago I inventoried all of my shop equipment, tools, etc for insurance purposes. It took forever to do, only to have it constantly change as I kept acquiring more and more stuff. To do that for parts?...no.

STOP HOARDING.
Actually I agree. Back when my dad passed and I was stuck with the task of throwing away all of his junk, I started to realize the same was true for my stuff. As I helped to sort out all of his estate issues (a year long process filled with headaches), it became evident that I was going to have to relocate to take care of my handicapped elderly mom (she refused to leave her home or to let anyone else come in). In the process I dumped tons of my hoard pile. And I haven't regretted it. Although I have since acquired a bunch more. So although I got rid of all the old crap, I did not stop the hoarding process. Now I'm faced with doing it again.

You don't have to inventory everything. You can just do the expensive or valuable things. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Start asking how you want to spend your time, (and your heirs time), and get rid of the rest. You can organize your stuff by what is worth selling and what is junk. Pick a strategy. One hour a week or one day a month sort things to be sold, junked, or kept. One thing out for one thing brought in. This year only spend money from things you have sold. Pretend you are moving and get rid of the stuff that you would not take with you when you move. If it is a hobby it is different than if it is a car you use daily. What ever works for you.

I have gone through a similar process (not death) but collecting and loosing things. First off, I am very lucky my girls have always been interested in what I do and they are more than mechanical enough to do anything I can do. Now, should they choose to do so, it is up to them and I will not dwell on it, or make them think my Fiat is some type of shrine. Over the years, I have had good time and bad. I have collected large hordes of stuff which when I had to, I made sure it went to those who are as crazy to collect this stuff as I was. Most recently, most of my stuff went to Andy here on the forum. Everything which goes around, comes around. I am a firm believer in it.

I think it is very interesting to see what peoples reaction to the life/death question is. Looking at your own mortality is never a fun thing.

Well, there is that hoarding issue. I had a friend at work who had built a nice 12 car garage and took not time at all to fill it with all manner of GM cars. They all needed work and I used to rib him that, being in his sixties at the time, he would not live long enough to finish them all, hell he rarely worked on any of them. Fortunately his son is very much into the same cars.

I'm pretty good at keeping my stash somewhat minimal. Everytime I think I'm done with a particular model Fiat I sell all the parts that go with it when I sell the car. The guy who bought my last Brava/131, literally took home a truck load of parts. When I sold my last (I thought) 128, Court took home a truck and trailer load of parts along with the SL I sold him. I make monthly trips to the dump to get rid of ruined Fiat parts that make no sense to keep. I do know what to keep....the IDFs/manifold and rollbar from the green spider I sold are safely stored away and I have a stash of known troublesome spider parts, guibo, center driveshaft supports, brake calipers, etc. My X stash is not as full as I would like but still have many shelves of stuff for them. For that matter the rat X is a rolling shed of great parts, konis, nice motor, rebuilt trans, perfect radiator, seats that Todd is plotting to steal some night... all stored in a silly body.

Maybe I should sit down with my wife and four adult children and ask them what I should do to lighten their burden on this point.

When my dad was well into his dementia my mom asked me if I wanted their jaguar XJ6 and I declined (nice looking cars but nothing special to drive and a money pit), too bad he didn't still have his XKE. When visiting my folks mom did ask to take whatever tools he had so I grabbed a box of Craftsman ratchets, sockets and wrenches but it was mostly to make mom happy as they were mostly SAE. I do have my treasured tool from dad, the THOR hammer that came out of the XKE and used to remove the wire wheel knockoffs....it is proudly displayed in the living room.

I know what you should Carl, take a few or many of the X1/9 bins I have in the warehouse. This will fill out your X stash and save you some mileage on the GTI.

I know where you live and how to remove X1/9 seats.

My brother recently passed away and his wife had his 2008 Porsche 911 lead the funeral procession. I told my wife under no circumstances is she to do this with my X-1/9. I could just image it breaking down a few miles from the cemetery! LOL

This is a discussion, and opinions will run many different ways. I will suggest here something that will not be popular: STOP HOARDING.
Of course you realize that some people will think that's blasphemy! ;)
I try to keep only parts for cars that I still have, I have lots of parts. If I didn't have so many parts I would probably start buying "other" cars. But since I can't justify buying anything else - when I have so many parts - I'm reluctant to buy something that I don't have parts for. Maybe that makes me crazy?
As for selling parts, I tried that once. Guess what happened? Yep, you guessed it. I needed that part no less than 3 years later. I learned my lesson.
I figure that one day I'll be on TV. Either Mike and Frank will start buying Fiat parts (it could happen), or I'll be on the show Hoarders.

mom did ask to take whatever tools he had so I grabbed a box of Craftsman ratchets, sockets and wrenches
My dad spent his entire career in various aspects of the automotive industry. In the early days he was a mechanic. Later he owned a string of transmission shops. Then moved into the management side of things. All those years he always had a workshop garage that he would tinker in. So when he died and mom said to go through his tools/equipment, I was very disappointed. He only had a mixed handful of old worn out crappy tools. Anything that would have been worth having was broken or otherwise damaged.

If I didn't have so many parts I would probably start buying "other" cars.
That's always been my issue, but in the opposite direction. I enjoy lots of different vehicles from various makers around the world. So my stash has stuff from all of them. Creates a bigger mess to contend with.

I included my Parrish hard top with the spider I sold this summer as it always took up a lot of storage space and there was an excellent chance I would never own another spider. Of course now I have a 75 spider project car out front with a totally trashed top and it would have been nice to put the hard top on till I got a new top nine months from now.

Carl, it sounds like you have a way of handling this already.

But I think I have a surefire way to fix this issue. Sell all your Fiat stuff including the cars and purchase an expensive car like a Porsche. You won't be able to afford to buy enough spare parts to fill you garage and driveway.

lol

Just imagine how rich we would all be if we never had any interest in cars. And life would be so much easier. There would be lots of spare time, fewer headaches, less injuries, more physical energy at the end of the weekends, etc.

No, we would be boring (probably are that anyway) listless since we became couch potatoes and spend all our time on the internet looking into all the conspiracy websites we find.

If I sold all my Fiats and all my Fiat parts I could probably, maybe buy a nice 2006ish Miata and could spend all my time on the internet looking up conspiracy websites since the Miata would not need any work and no one makes a dual IDF manifold for it.

Let's just keep doing our Fiat thing and don't look back and don't look forward for that bus to jump in front of.

Big upcoming projects:
bleed the replacement slave cylinder on the 77 for about the fourth time since the pedal is engaging RIGHT off the floor and figure out how to tighten the crank bolt on a spider motor I'm rebuilding without the flywheel on.

Back