Where can you buy touch up paint for an X?

After getting my car running over the last couple of years, I finally got around to improving the appearance by detailing and waxing it this week. The last time it was waxed was in 1995 shortly before the engine blew. It started out looking good from 10 feet away, but now it looks good from 1 foot for the most part. There are some small chipped areas that I would like to touch up but my official Fiat touch up paint container appears to have dried up long ago. I also need some spray touch up to do the top of the headlight pods. Apparently, whatever Fiat used to prime the aluminum pods was not the greatest choice. The paint on both pods started to delaminate from the back edge of the of the pod top. Lots of white powder between the paint and aluminum.

1974 Fiat X19 Passenger Headlight Pod.jpg

Anyway, I'm looking for some #358 touch up paint, preferably for brushing and spraying. For spray, I'd prefer an aerosol but I do have a spray gun and compressor if necessary.

I checked with most of the major X1/9 parts suppliers but found no listings. I was hoping to avoid going to a body shop to get some mixed. Anybody know where #358 is available?

I used Automotive Touchup: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
They didn't "stock" the color for my orange '77 (code - 190) but they were able to find the formula for it and make me up a batch. I got a basecoat clear coat spray bomb, a clear coat spray bomb, sandable primer (red), and touch-up canister too.
I don't remember if they could do a single stage paint, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
20210722_173636.jpg

Attachments

• 20210722_173539.jpg
    20210722_173539.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210722_173605.jpg
    20210722_173605.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 36
Industrial Finishes can match paint. I took them a panel and they were able to scan it and get a pretty good match. They'll made me up a couple of spray cans of the paint. Looks like there are several locations in California.

Just be forewarned that 358 suffers an enormous amount of "dulling" over all these years. The new paint you spray will not even be close to what your original paint looks like. I had a '74 in 358 where the outside panels were all perfect and original. The frunk was scratched up from years of use so I decided to respray it. The color was gorgeous, but with lid open there was a very noticeable difference in the color intensity between old and new. If you do attempt it, I would spray 3 to 4 test panels a varying air pressure to see how close you can get it.

Just be forewarned that 358 suffers an enormous amount of "dulling" over all these years. The new paint you spray will not even be close to what your original paint looks like. I had a '74 in 358 where the outside panels were all perfect and original. The frunk was scratched up from years of use so I decided to respray it. The color was gorgeous, but with lid open there was a very noticeable difference in the color intensity between old and new. If you do attempt it, I would spray 3 to 4 test panels a varying air pressure to see how close you can get it.
I was thinking that could be an issue although the unexposed parts of the car are pretty much a match for the exterior. The car has had a roof over it's head since it was a couple months old so it may be more of an issue of how well they can match the original color. I've considered the possibility of doing them in black - maybe try a wrap to see how they look.

Industrial Finishes can match paint. I took them a panel and they were able to scan it and get a pretty good match. They'll made me up a couple of spray cans of the paint. Looks like there are several locations in California.
There is one located under an hour from here so worth checking out.

After getting my car running over the last couple of years, I finally got around to improving the appearance by detailing and waxing it this week. The last time it was waxed was in 1995 shortly before the engine blew. It started out looking good from 10 feet away, but now it looks good from 1 foot for the most part. There are some small chipped areas that I would like to touch up but my official Fiat touch up paint container appears to have dried up long ago. I also need some spray touch up to do the top of the headlight pods. Apparently, whatever Fiat used to prime the aluminum pods was not the greatest choice. The paint on both pods started to delaminate from the back edge of the of the pod top. Lots of white powder between the paint and aluminum.

View attachment 49902

Anyway, I'm looking for some #358 touch up paint, preferably for brushing and spraying. For spray, I'd prefer an aerosol but I do have a spray gun and compressor if necessary.

I checked with most of the major X1/9 parts suppliers but found no listings. I was hoping to avoid going to a body shop to get some mixed. Anybody know where #358 is available?
A place near me in O.C. mixed up a quart for our paint/body man to do our fixes and touch-ups. Then he had a heart attack, and we‘re waiting for him to recover before continuing. But I digress. He said he knew the match wouldn‘t be perfect, and that he’d have to do some lightening/darkening before final application.
I gave him a headlight cover to give the paint company. Of course, it won’t represent the outside of the car due to light exposure. But it’s very close. They also had the color info from another XWebber who posted here in January?
The store is called ‘The Paint Store’, and factory 358 was what they were matching to.

69A80AEA-876B-4DB7-8BB3-02E0A198BAEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back