Where does this wire go?

Randy Gibson

Hello,

New member the forum, but certainly have used the advice over the last 2 years on restoring my 1987 Bertone x. It started and sputtered before I replaced the starter and adjusted the valves. Now it just turns over and does not ignite. I did nothing else, but may have disconnected a wire or two when working on the valves/starter. I found a wire connected to nothing and can't seem to figure out where it goes. It is shown with a yellow arrow in the photo attached. It is a wire within the F.I. harness. New starter (from Bayless) replaced the OEM with no wire modification. All wires on coil plug #1 and 15 are connected, spark is present at distributor, and fuel I can smell, but have not done further fuel testing since it ran before I began the repairs. Gotta be spark/ignition since I am not even hearing it even slightly combust right? I did try some starter fluid....no difference, not even a cough of a start.

Thanks for any ideas where to connect the wire and/or anything additional.

Randy
8183.jpg

Glad you decided to join. Hope we here more from you. I'm guessing you are a DEVO fan?

Looking at the pic, I believe the wire in question is as Dan described; it does not connect to anything, it is a test lead for a specific Bosch diagnostic procedure.

You say there is spark at the distributor but not at the plugs? Sounds like possibly a failed rotor in the distributor. Double check that there is spark coming out of the coil, and there is no spark at the plugs. If that is the case then try replacing the rotor. Many (most?, all?) of them have a resistor embedded within the rotor arm, and it is prone to failing - preventing the spark from traveling past it.

Also check that the carbon button that contacts the rotor is still in the center of the bottom of the distributor cap.

Also check that the carbon button that contacts the rotor is still in the center of the bottom of the distributor cap.
I just had that same thing happen to me and it cost me way too much before noticing that the small rotor pin shattered. A new cap and I wouldn’t be replacing the head gasket right now.
Something very simple that I totally over looked.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions, much appreciated! I am only able to work on the X occasionally, but I will update and contribute as I find the opportunity.

normally I would say you knocked the double wire off the coil, but if you are sure you have spark that rules that out.
86_coil.JPG
86_coil_wire.JPG
86_coil_wire_on.JPG

Back