Who stole the X1/9?

Rod Midkiff

True Classic

Just found this on you tube. Very nice x1/9 in Oregon. I think Portland.

I am going to try to reach out to the shop that posted the video and see if I can get the owner to visit us.

I saw this Thursday night too Rod, but didn't realize it was here; that shop is a little east of the airport.
Don't know whose X it is, though- I drive mine all the time but don't see any others around, though a friend says he sees them pretty often.

I am amazed at the stupid-ness of people to hotwire the car and not realized they could not steer it. Glad they did not do to much damage.

I just tried to call the shop (they are closed on Monday)

Rod has several column covers sets from the stash he got from me.

That shop has other interesting videos.
One of particular interest is of Mini-Marcos located just 130 miles north.
I owned one many yrs ago...when I was agile & lighter.
Mine was RHD...the vid shows LHD,
still I think strong chance of it being same car,
given the fact car in vid is only Mini-Marcos I've found in Pac NW.

Check it out...

Very nice X1/9. Makes me really want one again.

Back in the 80s I had a nice 60s-something Fiat 600D. A cop phoned me and told me someone stole it overnight and went for a joy ride and rolled it around a high-speed downhill curve and told me where the tow truck had taken it. That was before steering wheel locks became the norm and those cars were super easy to hot wire. It was caved in pretty bad and not repairable. I was heartbroken and to make it worse, I had taken the insurance off it. I will never again leave a collector car anywhere that someone could steal it. Heck, I might even pull the plugs if I'm in front of a Walmart...

I have 2 steering column covers, both need a little repair work 1 is usable as is. I'm a whole lot closer than Rod is to the shop, at least we have options for them if they want. That looked painful getting out of that mini. at least it would have been for me.

That looked painful getting out of that mini. at least it would have been for me.

It was painful, even though I was 40 yrs younger & 40 lbs lighter when I owned it.
Besides...Mini mechanicals are bit too fragile to flog.
Sold the Mini-Marcos & my 356A Porsche (also fragile, plus crazy parts costs) to buy an X1/9.

I am headed to Portland Tomorrow, just spoke with Him will try to meet up, Also need to try to catch up with Mike M. to see that GM v6 x1/9 He has.!!

We Met up Yesterday and He now has a replacement steering column cover.

Also got to see the V6 X1/9 very cool a lot of very fine detail work went into it Mike shows some of the stuff He is doing to it. very cool!.

Also worked on my car at Jeff's, We compared His Door seals and Mine and made some tweaks to my body seam. The drive back from Portland was a 95% better, the amount of wind and noise reduction was great!

I am loving the passion I see in other that we feel for the little car!

It looked like Mike enjoyed seeing two X1/9's in His driveway!

Jeff got a picture.

IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1275.JPG

The V6 is an interesting creation, I've heard about it for years and finally got to see it a couple weeks ago. Very nicely done.

"I'm sure it's very light" haha, ah NO, I never worried about my car getting stolen- it has 13"wheels! - kids at the gas station are like "what is it?" Just not a "gone in 60 seconds kinda car... I guess someone thought it was a Ferrari

The V6 is an interesting creation, I've heard about it for years and finally got to see it a couple weeks ago. Very nicely done.

Thx Brian, Rod, & Jeff for coming by.
Later, I hit starter & it fired right up.
Battery is old, but held charge over the winter.
Clear gas in fuel cell.

Rod, indeed I loved seeing 2 Xs in driveway,
& hearing sweet melodies as you both drove off.
Long time since driveway has seen multiple Fiats...
driveway.jpg

Just found this on you tube. Very nice x1/9 in Oregon. I think Portland.

I am going to try to reach out to the shop that posted the video and see if I can get the owner to visit us.

I recognized that voice. That's Mark Hatten of MPH Specialities in Portland - http://www.mphspecialties.com/. Mark has some very unique cars and posts quite a bit in an Arcane Automobiles Association group - http://www.arcaneauto.org/. I've never actually met Mark, but have been a fan of his work and videos for some time.

Larry
'79 X1/9

I spoke with Him on the phone, and He got the owner in touch With Me. I was able to supply Him with two good pieces for His car.

Back