Why do you think Fiat is not doing well in the USA?

You know, if they had gotten someone like Jay Leno to do a really cool commercial they would have sold tons more rather than with what's her name.

You know, if they had gotten someone like Jay Leno to do a really cool commercial they would have sold tons more rather than with what's her name.

If they were smart, they would have led with the Abarth, and also brought the Punto here.

Sold the car as a Euro hot hatch alternative to the GTI, really took the fight to the GTI undercutting the pricing...and not build the things in Mexico!

The entire US entrance was a train wreck, and now FIAT limps along, and its dealers and customer base suffer almost as badly as the people who buy smart cars.

When Fiat entered the USA market the advertising campaign was run by the girlfriend of Mopar's CEO. If you recall it consisted of JaLo (not certain about spelling) cruising through the "hood" in Detroit or South Chicago to the tune of rap music! This DID NOT appeal to people in most other areas and it certainly didn't work in Detroit or South Chicago. Great move! I bought a used 500 Abarth and added the Magniti Marilli go pedal and ECU override. It's now has 22,000 miles and has been trouble free. I've taken it on 1,500 trips and felt secure at highway speeds. I like it more than my CTS with 14,000 miles. I've had about 70 different cars in my life and the worst was the most expensive. It was a 2006 500SL before AMG was bought out by Mercedes. Loaded with AMG stuff it went out the door for over $100,000. After 12 returns to the dealer I got rid of it in 6 months. Battery would die if parked over the weekend. I was told to put it on a charger if I wasn't going to drive it every day! My conclusion is , like people, all groups (car makers) have general characteristics BUT individual examples vary from great to undesirable. My 2 cents.

When Fiat entered the USA market the advertising campaign was run by the girlfriend of Mopar's CEO. If you recall it consisted of JaLo (not certain about spelling) cruising through the "hood" in Detroit or South Chicago to the tune of rap music! This DID NOT appeal to people in most other areas and it certainly didn't work in Detroit or South Chicago. Great move! I bought a used 500 Abarth and added the Magniti Marilli go pedal and ECU override. It's now has 22,000 miles and has been trouble free. I've taken it on 1,500 trips and felt secure at highway speeds. I like it more than my CTS with 14,000 miles. I've had about 70 different cars in my life and the worst was the most expensive. It was a 2006 500SL before AMG was bought out by Mercedes. Loaded with AMG stuff it went out the door for over $100,000. After 12 returns to the dealer I got rid of it in 6 months. Battery would die if parked over the weekend. I was told to put it on a charger if I wasn't going to drive it every day! My conclusion is , like people, all groups (car makers) have general characteristics BUT individual examples vary from great to undesirable. My 2 cents.

Yes, the re-entry into the US market was a very rare 2nd chance to make a 1st impression, and FIAT blew it.

It is a shame, as FIAT has had many flashes of brilliance, such as the original 500, 850 Coupe and Spider, Uno turbo, 20V Turbo Coupe, Punto, 124/2000 Spider...and of course, the X 1/9 (mostly Bertone, but you get the point).

A real tragedy.

I could tell right off it was not going to go well. My daughter has a 2012 500 and we wanted to get her some custom items for the car. So, we went down to the Fiat dealer on Saturday at about 10am to find out the parts department, is closed. Monday to Friday only, 9 to 4... Seriously? Just no support from the dealers at all on this. Fiat could have had a Mini killer, and let it slip through their hands. But we have seen this before, have we not?

I owned a Prima Edition and an Abarth.... In the DC metro area the service departments were horrible and gas is too cheap for them to succeed. A good friend of mine sold Fiats and was convinced that the downfall was going to be the service department. The cars are actually built as good if not better than the Mini and are a total bargain for the price. The company is lost under the current CEO, he just doesn't get it.

The Prima was a really nice economy car and was absolutely better than the similarly priced Toyota, Honda, etc... The Abarth was one of the most fun cars. Mine spent several extended weekends at the track and always surprised everyone. I drove it cross country twice and modified the living daylights out of it. I had zero issues with the car but dreaded going to the service department...

A neighbor of mine in my condo complex in the Bay Area made some ridiculous money selling real-estate lately so he goes out and buys a new white Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Upon seeing me in the garage he tells me the Giulia is the highest rated new car in reliability! I think my jaw dropped but I didn't want to ruin his day or life so I said nothing.

I'd like to meet the salesman that sold him that car!

It seems that every manufacture goes through an era where they have the right mix of simplicity and modern technology that makes them bulletproof and fun. Eventually they go too far and lose the reliability and/or performance, I suspect Alfa has crossed that line with the Giulia.. I have been joking with car friends that my next new car won't have any switches on the steering wheel, they exist....

Back