Why weren't toys this cool when we were kids?

Maybe it is time to get my old HO scale Aurora slot cars out again. Not exactly the Monaco Grand Prix but it will fill up a ping pong table. I last looked at them a number of years ago and the issue was many of the tires had gone bad - just like real cars.

I recall slot cars were really big when I was a kid. But it seems they had all but disappeared for a long time. Then they made a comeback about 10-15 years ago. I'm not sure if that interest has continued since then, or if the whole "stay at home" issue has created yet another comeback?

In the 60s, they had commercial tracks where I lived where you could pay a small amount of money to race your car. I think they were 1/24 to 1/32 scale. Haven't seen one in many years.

In the 60s, they had commercial tracks where I lived where you could pay a small amount of money to race your car. I think they were 1/24 to 1/32 scale. Haven't seen one in many years.
Yes, I remember those. Really wide tracks with lots of lanes. Very cool places to hang out.

Love it. Just wonder why these new digital sets don't incorporate sound. Every scale train geek in the world has some real cool digital (even scale) sound. Shouldn't be hard. Just say'n.

There was a big hobby store in the early 60's close to where I lived had a big track and also a drag strip.
Went there a couple of times but never had the money other kids seemed to have for the hobby so didn't have a car to run there.
Consequently never developed a great interest in them.
Before slot cars, around ten or eleven years old, a friend and I would lay all the straight track of our electric trains side by side and have drag races.
We also would put the tracks on ramps to jump them.
We stripped the bodies off to reduce weight.

Love it. Just wonder why these new digital sets don't incorporate sound. Every scale train geek in the world has some real cool digital (even scale) sound. Shouldn't be hard. Just say'n.
That would be cool - not only engine sounds but tire squeal, etc. as well. Given how advanced these systems seem to have become, I agree with you. Very surprising they haven't done that and possibly more, like smoke off the tires when they drift.

Toys have come a long way over the years with the advancements in technology and the introduction of new materials. Many modern toys now have features such as electronic components, interactive capabilities, and educational benefits that were not available in the past. Additionally, now the companies are introducing cartoons and anime and than they produce their toys into the market such as axolotl minecraft minecraft, both toys and cartoons are available and the kids are also get attracted with them very easily, toy manufacturers are constantly coming up with new and innovative designs and ideas to keep up with changing trends and interests. However, many classic toys such as building blocks, dolls, and action figures are still popular and enjoyed by children and adults alike.

Last edited:
I found my Mattel Fanner 50 totally satisfactory as we played cowboys and Indians (don't get excited, this was totally acceptable in the 1950s). We were outside all day and only came in to eat lunch and dinner.

I remember when playing with Legos with my kids that you bought a basic set and made your own buildings, airplanes, cars, whatever. Now you buy Legos that are packaged to make a specific item. My oldest grandson loves to build Legos but is totally clueless on how to make something from his own imagination with them.

Hi. I'm a model geek, and I have an addiction.
That slot car set up is neat...but really low level stuff. 60 seconds and you have seen it all.
Want head exploding detail?
Miniature Wunderland, Hamburg, Germany. Want perspective? It has over 250,000 little people figures populating it.
Watch the 5 minute YouTube video for a teaser. Then watch the 45 min video...still not enough to cover everything (my fave is the airport). It's the reason I don't even dare to start a train set. I would be destitute and single inside of 6 months.

Really. Go watch it.

I'll wait...

I found my Mattel Fanner 50 totally satisfactory as we played cowboys and Indians (don't get excited, this was totally acceptable in the 1950s). We were outside all day and only came in to eat lunch and dinner.

I remember when playing with Legos with my kids that you bought a basic set and made your own buildings, airplanes, cars, whatever. Now you buy Legos that are packaged to make a specific item. My oldest grandson loves to build Legos but is totally clueless on how to make something from his own imagination with them.
You've reminded me of the "green army men". :)

Toys have come a long way over the years with the advancements in technology and the introduction of new materials. Many modern toys now have features such as electronic components, interactive capabilities, and educational benefits that were not available in the past. Additionally, now the companies are introducing cartoons and anime and than they produce their toys into the market such as axolotl minecraft minecraft, both toys and cartoons are available and the kids are also get attracted with them very easily, toy manufacturers are constantly coming up with new and innovative designs and ideas to keep up with changing trends and interests. However, many classic toys such as building blocks, dolls, and action figures are still popular and enjoyed by children and adults alike.
I don't watch TV much. But I happened upon part of a episode on the History Channel about the history of toys in the US. Apparently it was a whole series covering several generations of various toys and the evolution of it all. Quite interesting how a lot of things came about.

At the risk of being one of those old men that start the story with, "when I was a kid we didn't have...."

I grew up in a small rural town and my parents were not well off. So we did not have a TV for most of my childhood, and when we finally got one (black and white) it had rabbit-ears that only received two and a half channels (the third had so much snow it really wasn't watchable). We also had few toys and all of our play time was outdoors. The boys played marbles, army, and pretended to be riding a motorcycle on our bicycles while the girls played jacks, hopscotch, and pretended they were riding horses on their bikes. That was it. No, no hoop with a stick or kicking tin cans....I'm not that old.

That slot car set up is neat...but really low level stuff. 60 seconds and you have seen it all.
Miniature Wunderland, Hamburg, Germany. Want perspective? It has over 250,000 little people figures populating it.
Watch the 5 minute YouTube video for a teaser. Then watch the 45 min video...still not enough to cover everything (my fave is the airport). It's the reason I don't even dare to start a train set. I would be destitute and single inside of 6 months.

Really. Go watch it.

I'll wait...
I’ve seen this. So you’ve seen their airport, right? Surreal…I couldn’t believe what they did. If I’m in that German town, I’d definitely pay to see that stuff…

Really. Go watch it.

I'll wait...

Model railways can be a dangerous place for an X1/9:

Fiat X19 vs. 3 GM EMD F7 + Train - 1.jpg

Back