Wiki Improvements

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

today I activated the VisualEditor extension on the wiki which allows WYSIWYG editing on par with the forum. This should help to "democratise" the wiki and allow submissions from a wider audience. You will still need an account and know how to create a page, but the actual process of editing a page, uploading images, etc. is now significantly easier (trivial).

I really encourage everyone who has a factual thread (Steve's / @fiatfactory Ultimate SOHC engine thread comes to mind) to favour the wiki format over the thread format as it encourages content over chronology. Moreover, uploading of images, PDFs, etc. is now vastly simplified and thanks to our new hosting solution we can be sure these will be kept for posterity.

So I'd encourage you all to participle in the Wiki, whether it be in creating new pages or adding to existing ones. This is a shared body of knowledge and is a valuable resource for the community. Being more structured than the forum allows some additional possibilities.

I'd like to finish with a shout out to Mark (@MarkF) without whom none of this would be possible (to be completely transparent, activating the new editor comprised adding exactly 1 line to a configuration file). This was really only possible thanks to the exemplary work done by Mark in setting up the forum from a technical perspective. All of this from a guy who doesn't even own a Fiat at the moment!

So I'd like to ask everyone to participate in the Wiki. I'll personally assist anyone who is still having difficulties. Moreover though, I'd like us all to appreciate the efforts of our unsung hero Mark! 🍻

Dom.

Thanks to both of you for all of your wonderful support. 👏

Curious, does opening up the Wiki to editing by anyone this way also make it vulnerable to all the off topic drift and babble we (I) tend to do in the forums? Or am I completely misunderstanding things? To me the advantage of a Wiki page is to keep it concisely on topic and therefore an efficient reference source.

Thanks to both of you for all of your wonderful support. 👏

Curious, does opening up the Wiki to editing by anyone this way also make it vulnerable to all the off topic drift and babble we (I) tend to do in the forums? Or am I completely misunderstanding things? To me the advantage of a Wiki page is to keep it concisely on topic and therefore an efficient reference source.

Hi Jeff,

the only modification that was made was to make the editing easier (i.e. you don't need to learn a specific Wiki syntax), so I'm expecting things to remain concise but with better / wider contribution.

Dom.

Hi Jeff,

the only modification that was made was to make the editing easier (i.e. you don't need to learn a specific Wiki syntax), so I'm expecting things to remain concise but with better / wider contribution.

Dom.
Famous last words right there.:)

Exactly.
Is this a possibility? When a member initiates a Wiki article they will have the ability to delete any other members comments that have been added, if they feel it is not contributory to the content. That way the article can be "maintained" by the original author and not wander off track.

In the forums people can compliment one's clean wiring job, or the hideous 4 foot weed growing in the growing in the front yard of someone's picture. I would hope we are civil enough to keep wiki on topic and useful.

(no I did not search for a picture with a weed dominating's the background but I am sure a picture exists on here somewhere)

Hi all,

today I activated the VisualEditor extension on the wiki which allows WYSIWYG editing on par with the forum. This should help to "democratise" the wiki and allow submissions from a wider audience. You will still need an account and know how to create a page, but the actual process of editing a page, uploading images, etc. is now significantly easier (trivial).

I really encourage everyone who has a factual thread (Steve's / @fiatfactory Ultimate SOHC engine thread comes to mind) to favour the wiki format over the thread format as it encourages content over chronology. Moreover, uploading of images, PDFs, etc. is now vastly simplified and thanks to our new hosting solution we can be sure these will be kept for posterity.

So I'd encourage you all to participle in the Wiki, whether it be in creating new pages or adding to existing ones. This is a shared body of knowledge and is a valuable resource for the community. Being more structured than the forum allows some additional possibilities.

I'd like to finish with a shout out to Mark (@MarkF) without whom none of this would be possible (to be completely transparent, activating the new editor comprised adding exactly 1 line to a configuration file). This was really only possible thanks to the exemplary work done by Mark in setting up the forum from a technical perspective. All of this from a guy who doesn't even own a Fiat at the moment!

So I'd like to ask everyone to participate in the Wiki. I'll personally assist anyone who is still having difficulties. Moreover though, I'd like us all to appreciate the efforts of our unsung hero Mark! 🍻

Dom.
Hi,
Was reading a post from 2015 about a punto turbo engine swap. I’m considering this while my 1500 is away for welding. Any advice pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Ted

Hi,
Was reading a post from 2015 about a punto turbo engine swap. I’m considering this while my 1500 is away for welding. Any advice pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Ted
This engine doesn't differ much from the X1/9 engines or the UT engine so a swap is very straight forward. However, the turbo part of the setup can vary from car to car depending on type of IC chosen, aftermarket ECU etc. I recommend having a look at the discussions in the "Turbo systems for X1/9" thread. Are you going to swap the gearbox as well? If so, that is probably more complex than the engine swap as shift linkage must be rebuilt (conversion to cables).

This engine doesn't differ much from the X1/9 engines or the UT engine so a swap is very straight forward. However, the turbo part of the setup can vary from car to car depending on type of IC chosen, aftermarket ECU etc. I recommend having a look at the discussions in the "Turbo systems for X1/9" thread. Are you going to swap the gearbox as well? If so, that is probably more complex than the engine swap as shift linkage must be rebuilt (conversion to cables).
Yes I’ll use the gt gearbox and have to get the linkage fabricated. I can’t find the thread you mentioned

Hi Myron,

UPDATE: don't do any changes for now. It looks like any edits to the page will cause existing PDF links to go dead (seems to be a known issue). I'll investigate tomorrow and report back. Looks like the extension needs to be updated.

so I checked it out and it looks like the a few things have changed with the new version of the visual editor extension which makes it a bit unintuitive for non-image files. So here is the procedure:
  • Log onto the wiki
  • Go to the page that you want to edit, e.g. WorkshopManuals
  • Click on edit just above the section that you want to contribute to (or alternatively the edit tab at the top of the page to edit the entire page):
    1681479508273.png
  • Go to the place where you want to insert your link and then select "insert-Images and media":
    1681479607720.png

• Upload your file:

1681479707035.png

• Give it a description and click save:
    1681479810038.png

• Click "use this image" and then on the next screen simply close, not insert (this is the counterintuitive bit). This will upload the file into the wiki, making it available for use but won't insert it into the page:

1681479926339.png
  • Now select the "link" icon and in the text box type "file:" and then start typing the file name of the file you uploaded. It will auto-complete and you just need to click on the suggestion to confirm:
    1681480146115.png

• Your new link will now be there, and remember to click on "save changes..." when you are finished:

1681480281892.png
The process is not so straightforward for non-image uploads like PDF, so apologies for that!

Cheers,
Dom.

Attachments

• 1681476120575.png
    1681476120575.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1681476181929.png
    1681476181929.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 1681476565703.png
    1681476565703.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1681476592383.png
    1681476592383.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1681476712183.png
    1681476712183.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hi Myron,

UPDATE: don't do any changes for now. It looks like any edits to the page will cause existing PDF links to go dead (seems to be a known issue). I'll investigate tomorrow and report back. Looks like the extension needs to be updated.

so I checked it out and it looks like the a few things have changed with the new version of the visual editor extension which makes it a bit unintuitive for non-image files. So here is the procedure:
  • Log onto the wiki
  • Go to the page that you want to edit, e.g. WorkshopManuals
  • Click on edit just above the section that you want to contribute to (or alternatively the edit tab at the top of the page to edit the entire page):
    View attachment 72474
  • Go to the place where you want to insert your link and then select "insert-Images and media":
    View attachment 72475

• Upload your file:

View attachment 72476

• Give it a description and click save:
    View attachment 72477

• Click "use this image" and then on the next screen simply close, not insert (this is the counterintuitive bit). This will upload the file into the wiki, making it available for use but won't insert it into the page:

View attachment 72478
  • Now select the "link" icon and in the text box type "file:" and then start typing the file name of the file you uploaded. It will auto-complete and you just need to click on the suggestion to confirm:
    View attachment 72479

• Your new link will now be there, and remember to click on "save changes..." when you are finished:

View attachment 72480
The process is not so straightforward for non-image uploads like PDF, so apologies for that!

Cheers,
Dom.
I followed you completely right up until this point: "So here is the procedure". :oops:

Log onto the wiki

Thank you. I think this is where I'm having the issue. I can't log into the wiki. I've scanned the Fuel Injection Diagnostics manual (as one file) and would love to put it up.

But for now, no problem - I'll gladly wait until it's all resolved. Thanks!

Back