Wing vs spoiler vs none on an X

I think a big sprint car wing in place of the targa is the only way to go. For stock body, I greatly prefer the "ducktail", subtle but stylish and probably no function whatsoever.

Well , I can't really answer the original question (but I AM considering ditching the factory wing that someone put on my 85, maybe in favor of a duck tail spoiler). I can say that ever since getting serious about bicycle racing a a while ago I have re-thought those (ref the comments about autoX discounting aero) old preconceptions about the power of air flow. Yeah, makes a difference at pretty low speeds....where you feel that & where it makes a difference with our cars & their HP I don't know.

My feeling is that the factory Bertone wing is visually overwhelmed by the bulky, soft lines of the later engine cover.

X19-Exterior00064.jpg

I felt mine looked better with the early cover, when I had that setup.

X19_Exterior00042.jpg

I also used a Pontiac spoiler after I lost one end section, which didn't look that bad.

X19-Exterior00083.jpg

I prefer the ducktail I have now, it flows better with the softer lines of the late engine cover, and the wider, softer edged Dallara fenders.

DallaraPaint00208.jpg

I can't say I've felt any difference in handling with any of the variants.

Last edited:
GregS - I love the look of your engine cover here. Definitely not stock... looks like bare metal that was clear coated? Clearly a custom rear cover with the elongated vents. Quite nice.

Please do give details. Thanks.

Darin, well spotted. Yes, custom 1mm thick aluminium engine cover with clearcoat. Whole car has light weight opening panels, total weight 700 kgs. Full write up on this Aussie forum https://t124.com/forum/forum/fiat-fans/fiat-fans-aa/14314-track-day-x1-9

Back