Winter project

docpan

True Classic
What do you do when it is the middle of Feburary in New England and it is 70 degrees out?

Work on the fiat of course. Got to install these custom cut phenolic insulator plates.
20180220_162127.jpg
20180220_162149.jpg

They are 1/2 in thick. I can now adjust the carbs without getting burned!!!

Nice! Are they something that can be duplicated easily? Please tell us more details.

Also I like the heat shields between the manifolds. That is the same material I will using for mine...good stuff.

What do you do when it is the middle of Feburary in New England and it is 70 degrees out?

Work on the fiat of course. Got to install these custom cut phenolic insulator plates.
View attachment 8650 View attachment 8651
They are 1/2 in thick. I can now adjust the carbs without getting burned!!!

I had to wear heavy gloves to set up my DCNFs. My phenolic spacers are only slightly larger than the carb bases sothey offer no radiant shielding to my fingers. I particularly like the heat shield above the headers. Can you describe what you are using and how it is kept in position? I need to do the same thing. Right now my engine is sitting on the workbench so it would be the ideal time to figure it out.

Thanks,

Don

The metal heat shield is flexible but keeps it shape so it is pushed in between the exhaust and intake manifolds . Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-P...8&qid=1519228950&sr=8-26&keywords=heat+shield

The phenolic plate were made by a speed shop I found on ebay. They make custom carb plates. It took a while but he finally got them done. Measurement was 160mm by 140mm. They could be a little wider like 180. The plates were 1/2 in thick, had to replace the studs to accommodate the thicker material.
Dashman's Hot Rod and Speed Parts in Wisconson

I also used this to cover the water pipe that runs under the manifold.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-99-0...-75in-x-7in-/352102246219?hash=item51faede74b

The k&n air cleaners still fit under the cover!!

The metal heat shield is flexible but keeps it shape so it is pushed in between the exhaust and intake manifolds . Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-P...8&qid=1519228950&sr=8-26&keywords=heat+shield

The phenolic plate were made by a speed shop I found on ebay. They make custom carb plates. It took a while but he finally got them done. Measurement was 160mm by 140mm. They could be a little wider like 180. The plates were 1/2 in thick, had to replace the studs to accommodate the thicker material.
Dashman's Hot Rod and Speed Parts in Wisconson

I also used this to cover the water pipe that runs under the manifold.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-99-0...-75in-x-7in-/352102246219?hash=item51faede74b

The k&n air cleaners still fit under the cover!!

Thanks for the information. That heat shield looks like it could do the trick for me. It will be nice to be able to adjust the carbs without wearing a pair of smouldering gloves!

Glad your air cleaners still fit. The 74 engine cover has much less clearance than the 79 does. I'm just hoping that going to the slightly taller 1500 is still going to clear the cover. I'll find out when I put the engine in. With the 1300, I was using a low profile Sprint filter that went with their dual DCNF manifold and it cleared. I'm using the DCNF configuration where only the auxiliary venturis stick out above the top of the carbs to allow unimpeded air flow with the low profile filter.

Thanks,

Don

so, these oversized spacers would be something that the referenced (Dashman's) shop would now have some sort of template for?

How are you fixing the heat shield to the manifold?

Don,
The '77 (others too?) engine cover uses a longer latch "bar". It sits up just a bit higher and helped me clear the air cleaners on mine. It uses a plastic filler strip to cover the gap.

The phenolic plate were made by a speed shop I found on ebay.
so, these oversized spacers would be something that the referenced (Dashman's) shop would now have some sort of template for?
Docpan, thanks for the added input. I am wondering the same question as Chris, is this something he already offers or can reproduce easily, or is it a custom built piece? If you don't mind, please tell the price for it also. Thanks.

Regarding the heat shield. Here is another version of that type product:
images.jpg

As you can see it is easily cut, bent/shaped and retains the profile. There are three layers; reflective aluminum on top and bottom and a air-gap and insulation layer in between. Here is the maker of this version: http://www.dciperformance.com.au/

Last edited:
I only have the later style to reference so not certain how it is on the early ones. But it sounds like you could make some "stand-offs" for the early engine cover. Raising the hinges and the latch to achieve a new higher position. This might help to vent the hot air as well as help clear the taller engine/air filters.

He makes spacers for dcnf carbs, so he has the cad file for the standard size. He was selling these for 24 a piece. The custom size was 50 each, he should have the file for the custom size as well.
Chris, the metal heat shield just wedges in between the intake and exhaust manifold. I have never had it fall out.

Thanks. I have new, thinner spacers for my DNCFs that I need to put on, so these (or even the ones they have as stock items might be something to consider. My setup is 36 DCNFs and was done by the PO, an old friend. His comment was that the final improvements (besides airflow to them for breathing) would be a heat shield or tray...

He makes spacers for dcnf carbs, so he has the cad file for the standard size.
Thanks. I saw the smaller standard-size insulators on his site (shown below), but not the larger ones you have. Good to know he will make them to spec.
s-l1600.jpg

Looking at the stock (I think?) one in the pic below gives me a thought. Perhaps use the standard size insulator(s) from the eBay seller (above) in combination with a larger flat heat-reflective plate under it. Something like this (below), but using a aluminum plate covered with a heat-reflective film on the bottom instead of the large phenolic layer:

X19 intake heatshield.jpg

412.jpg

1838.JPG

The thought being to address two different types of heat transfer: The aluminum plate with reflective layer (underneath) will direct the rising radiant-heat away from the carb, and the insulator block will separate the carb from the transfer of conductive heat up from the intake manifold. I'm honestly not sure if a combination like this would be more or less effective than the larger thick insulator platform. But it would allow the lower reflective layer to be made as large as you wish and in any shape that is needed (like the example above). Adding a fan to direct the hot air away from the area would address the third type of heat transfer, convection.

That's what I was thinking but wanted to avoid too many joints and gaskets. My previous set had two spacer and three gaskets, and there always seemed to be some wetness around the spacers. So far it is staying dry.

Attachments

• IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 79
Good point. And in no way was I questioning your design...it is a great one. Like I said, the thoughts I presented may actually be less effective.

By the way, what header is that?

Thanks for the information. That heat shield looks like it could do the trick for me. It will be nice to be able to adjust the carbs without wearing a pair of smouldering gloves!

Glad your air cleaners still fit. The 74 engine cover has much less clearance than the 79 does. I'm just hoping that going to the slightly taller 1500 is still going to clear the cover. I'll find out when I put the engine in. With the 1300, I was using a low profile Sprint filter that went with their dual DCNF manifold and it cleared. I'm using the DCNF configuration where only the auxiliary venturis stick out above the top of the carbs to allow unimpeded air flow with the low profile filter.

Thanks,

Don

I bet you could trade that '74 cover for a '76 cover...

I bet you could trade that '74 cover for a '76 cover...

I wonder if a 74 cover fits anything other than a 74? I can't remember what compelled them to go with the taller cover in 75. Maybe it had something to do with more emissions equipment in addition to the catalytic converter.

Back