Winter refresh, 2020

Dominic Nicandri

Low Mileage
Hello all... it's been many moons, but I am back turning wrenches on the 74 X this winter. It had been largely idle from 2005-2018, maybe driven once a year by my father. In 2018 I towed it to my house in Tacoma and did the timing belt and some charging system repairs to get it driveable. The past two years my dad has been driving it weekly (he's the original owner) and it's time for some more work. It needs a full body restoration to tend to floor and fender rot, but thats not in the cards for this year. I just did a full resto on an E30 and I am sick of body work.... I have an ambitious list, but with nothing else to do (thanks covid), here is what I have planned..

Rebuild pedal box - clutch pedal gets stuck, then POP and finally depresses. Bought a spare pedal box and some other stuff. Need to get my head under the dash and see whats actually binding.

Rebuild brake system. MC developed a leak, and the brake fluid looks terrible. Going to rebuild with all stock parts

Wheels- The finish on the original steel wheels is beyond help. Plan on having them blasted and will repaint- Anyone know a color close to OE?

Cooling system- Hoses are God-only-knows-how old. Will replace all rubber and flush radiator.

Gearbox- grinds going into 3rd at high rpm. Hoping a fluid change helps... rebuild not in the cards this year.

Fuel tank- neck has leaked for 30 years. Going to try and get this dealt with once and for all..

All the trunk latches got stiff and broke the cables. I need to get some of those braided ones from MW Bayless... Whats the best way to clean up the boot and engine cover latches?

Looking forward to a productive winter! Cheers
Dominic

Sounds like you have plenty ahead of you.

What year X do you have? OE steel wheels or alloy? OE alloy or aftermarket.

Trunk latches, remove them and put them in a degreaser solution like simple green and scrub them to remove built up guck. Rinse and then see how they function. Add new white lithium grease and work the mechanisms repeatedly.

Is the fuel tank leaking just from the rubber pipe? It can be replaced from above. Other leaks in the tank require removal which means up on a lift or teetering high on jackstands.

The rest of the work is just churning through and turning wrenches.

Sounds like you will be kept good and busy.

It's a early 74, with the original steel wheels. I think the leak is on the filler neck, but I am not positive. Will need to take a look. Hopefully I don't have to have the tank out, or I will be using blocks and jack stands.

The rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank was totally trashed on my 74 when I checked it before getting the car back on the road. Good thing that I had not filled it up since 1995.

It was pretty easy to replace the hose. Just take the grill off and loosen the filler and hose clamps.

The rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank was totally trashed on my 74 when I checked it before getting the car back on the road. Good thing that I had not filled it up since 1995.

It was pretty easy to replace the hose. Just take the grill off and loosen the filler and hose clamps.
I'm pretty sure it is the hose. Or something missing from when the evap system was taken off. At one point someone had listed some random Gates hose that fit the filler neck... will have to search that, I should have just bought it on Amazon when I saw the number the 1st go around.

Back