Winter sucks.

On that subject, I'm in a particularly odd situation. All my life I felt the same; being a outdoor type person I love summer, hate winter. Fortunately I lived in SoCal where winter is very brief. However for the past couple of years I've had to relocate to Vegas to help with my family. The climate here is so severely harsh (hot) in the summer that you cannot be outdoors so I hate it, and winter is actually decent so I love it (by default). Very weird to be living in a reversed situation. Unfortunately summer lasts for about 8 or 9 months of the year here. So there is very little time when it's possible to be outdoors (ie winter), and so much outside work to be done during that time that I can't actually enjoy the season.

I lived there in 1990 when it hit 11 degrees. Decimated many of the non indigenous plants, especially several palm species. Big bucks. Rough summers but 4 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

Not that this is a bragging contest, BUT - My wife is visiting my son in Byron MN where the actual temperature is -30f (or -34c), AND with the wind blowing at 30mph, the wind chill is around -55f (-48c). I used to live in Alaska, and visited Fairbanks for a week in the winter when the overnight temperatures dropped to -55f actual, no wind.

-16 yesterday morning, -9 this morning. It's cold here. But for me this weather presents an opportunity. I have a dead tree that overhangs a pond. Now that the pond is covered with ice I have a chance to cut it down and chop it up. It's a real PITA to do that when the pond isn't frozen!

We HAVE had -24 here before, but not in a long time (we're supposed to hit 48 today). A week of that kind of cold makes +20 feel like T-shirt weather. I also lived in northern Illinois as a teenager. I feel for all you folks in the Midwest right now. Probably want to keep the targa top on this week.

Friend who lives in Canada notes -30c and sunny is OK.

Currently about 54 degrees F and overcast Coastside CA. Might head out for a bicycle ride later today.

Bernice

13E5228D-A293-471A-B169-58562F51FCE7.jpeg
You just need BMW for winter and then it wont suck at all :D

It can be beautiful. Out my back door and my workplace parking lot. Normally there would be a line of cars in front of that wall. I was one of the few to actually make it in. We have gotten 18 inches of snow this week, -12 temps and strong winds which has blown all that nice snow off my backyard trees.

268F9957-AC8D-4FA3-B128-3C03E8E91671.jpeg 16E98735-F0A6-431D-A249-39A0B36EAC2A.jpeg C8311AA9-3A12-4CEB-AEB3-E7225AD4AEAF.jpeg CA60DB28-4ECB-49D4-B36A-5501D56080B9.jpeg E98466BF-FB22-4331-8D56-391E53A526AC.jpeg

Our Sienna minivan freaked out with the cold, starts and runs but no other electrical features worked. That was great. Had to drive my wife’s AWD Jeep, heated steering wheel, seats, differential lock. Easy drive in really bad conditions.

I should correct my original statement.... I hate winter in the DC metro area... I love it in other parts of the country...

In the mid 70's we lived in Eureka Ca. through the fall and winter. While it didn't freeze on the coast it did get cold and rained constantly.
In the spring we moved from Eureka straight to Bullhead city Az.
95 to over 100 degrees and no one was moving except for my wife and I. We was so soggy from all the rain we road out 10 speeds everywhere and loved the heat and drying out.
This winter we got down to the teens and being older we felt it more but a look at the weather in the east helped a little.

Back