Wiper frustration...

budgetzagato

Administrator
My wipers don't park... they wipe, slow, fast, intermittent, but don't park correctly. I delved into the system today to try and figure out what the problem is. The park switch was dirty but even after cleaning doesn't help. I checked the flow of electrons and the switch seems to function. But, I can't find the wiper motor or switch in the diagram, should be on fuse #2 page 6 but not there. Any helpers?

The colors in the 6 tab connector are black, grey, grey/white, grey/black, blue, blue/white and blue/black (on the wiper motor side). The motor appears to be a used part labeled with a paint pen as "spider/scpe" so I'm wondering if it's the wrong motor. Any suggestions on what to check appreciated.

Greg, do the wiper arms mount on a spline?

Do they park at all?

If so, remove the arms, run the wipers (without the arms attached) and allow them to stop. (or park) Re-attach the arms in the parked position.

Or, am I misunderstanding your issue?

No, I mean yes...

Yes, you are misunderstanding. They don't park. I can run them using the low or high position, but if I turn them off they stop immediately rather than parking. I think it's something to do with the motor being for a 124 Spider or Coupe, rather than the Scorpion-specific motor. I'm hoping for a "move this wire here" type solution. :dunce:

The wire for the limit switch needs keyed ignition power to stop. Either that circuit is not getting power or the limit switch is toast.

Easy test is to plug another motor in and run it. You can run it in your hand to see if the limit switch works.

That's my guess.

Not to derail the thread...

but of all the X's and Scorpions I have ever seen or owned, I have never seen a wiper move to a "park" position. I have only seen them move to the lowest spot on the sweep.

To me, "park" means moving somewhere lower than the sweep. Is that what is meant here? Or are we just talking about the wiper arm stopping consistently at the lowest part of the sweep when turned off? :huh:

Pete

park on a fiat , is the lowest part of the sweep. as long as the motors are both 6 or 5 wire imputs the function is the same, and can be converted as well. the park switch is just that a park switch. there is a relay involved in the parking as well. sorry i dont have my manuals with me right now, but i would check there as well if the switch is good

No relay per se...

The relay is just for the intermittent function. Should park without it even plugged in.

Ok, this is helpful...

The park switch has one wire to the tab, and two wires to the contact points the tab either touches or doesn't, depending on the cam and the motor rotation. Any idea what wires go to what parts? Does the (15) wire go to the tab or one of the points?

I like your idea...

Good idea that, I'll compare it to what I have. I can see 4 of the 6 wires so that leaves just 2 possibilities to try.

Another diagram...

Found another diagram, in the downloads area of Lancisti.com, one that does show the wiper motor and more importantly indicates the colors of the wires to and from the multi-pin plug, where they change color. So maybe this will help, I'll report back.

No luck...

Well, still no parking action.

I found the wires at the motor plug wouldn't give proper operation (mostly high speed) when they were in the correct slots in the connector. Investigating further, I found this was because the wires at the switch connector were similarly not in the correct slots. Moved both around (with some educated guessing where the combos included colors not in the diagram, like green) and have most function.

Fast, slow, intermittent all work but still no actual park action. Park meaning the wipers return to the bottom when switched off but the key is still on. Reading an owner's manual I see there's no mention of this feature, so maybe it's the way it's supposed to be. :confuse2:

Most Likely the limit switches in the motor

My recommendation would be to remove and disassemble the wiper motor. Inspect all components like brushes and limit switches, clean and lubricate all. Use a light grease. Test while the motor is still out of the car. In this way you can test the function. I would bet the the limit switch is stuck in the closed position which is why the wiper does not park. Even if this does not cure the problem, your motor will be good to go for another 30 years.

Well, I've done that...

Well I've already had it apart to clean the park switch, which works as tested with a light. Unless I simply don't understand the switch function. It seems to only conduct power when it is opened momentarily.

Back