Wiper motor 4 wire or 5 wire

dnudelman

True Classic
I see that the USA wiring diagrams show a 5 wire motor, The Euro wiring shows a 4 wire. Lots new 4 wire motors available. Are the 5 wire 2 speed or what??

Yes My Son, the Feds specified two speed wipers from 1968....this is why the motors are different as well as the switches....

Grazia Padre. Is the speed switch selector on the steering column or on the dash. I don't know because the car doesn't have a wiper motor

Last edited:
What year is your car? My 1970 has the speed selector on the dash in the same hole the earlier models had the dash light dimmer control. Basically in the middle of the dash, knob on the left.

When asking about anything electrical on an 850, it's most helpful to others for you to state the country, year & body style of your car, because there ARE differences among the variants.

That said, the 850 Sedan, Special, Coupe & Sport Coupe use a 4-wire wiper motor, & the 850 Spiders & 850 Racers use a 5-wire wiper motor. Only the 850 Spider & Racer models have a wiper speed rheostat & a foot-operated quick-spritz/wipe switch unit.

New 4 wire motors are availabe from ALKO (Spain), Meat & Doria (italian company, source of motor unknown. as well as Marelli also source unknown. Does anyone have any experience wiht ALKO and M&D parts?

Back