Wipers anyone?

think jedi

True Classic
When I pulled the car apart 3 years ago, the wipers went missing. I've got the mounting hardware...just now wiper arms. Long shot, but does anyone either have a pair of arms or have an idea of a retrofit? I tried the Porsche 944 dog leg arms, which were rumored to fit, but they don't...the splines aren't the same. Any ideas what other wipers used the same spline?

If we can't find a unique spline, I'm wondering if the spine could be swapped with one from a motor from a more easily located car?

tJ

EDIT - sorry - didn't see this was X/20 - all this may not be applicable to your setup

My solution was to create a hybrid shaft - stock lower section with (in my case Volvo outer tip) to allow me to use a range of newer style bolt-on arms instead of the old wobbly/slack fitting barrel spline style.

X19-1000.jpg

X19-01008.jpg

I then fitted Volvo 200 series wiper arms, contoured to fit the sweep needed for the X's windshield. This allowed me to use 17-18" blades

X19-01007.jpg

testing various right side blade lengths..

X19-01006.jpg

1581-E0-DB-04-C2-45-B0-B113-B53-D3-BC0946-C.jpg

final version

IMG-8174.jpg

Last edited:
I grabbed a set off a Beta Zagato but haven't fitted them yet. Grabbed the Zagato's wiper motor assembly too to cover my butt.

My solution was to create a hybrid shaft - stock lower section with (in my case Volvo outer tip) to allow me to use a range of newer style bolt-on arms instead of the old wobbly/slack fitting barrel spline style.
Sorry, I don't recall if you already posted a more detailed description of this mod.

I'm assuming the two parts (Fiat and Volvo) were machined on a lathe to enable the fitting of them together (red boxes)?

X19-1000.jpg

early lada 2101 fits x19, but I locally found only chromed ones(new), and quality was so bad that I didn't buy them

Thanks everyone for your responses. I like lookforjoe's solution and was considering trying something like this if the wiper motor came apart easily. However, I have an idea...more to come soon.

tJ

So as I was on my way home Autozone having purchased new wiper blades for the Porsche 944 arms I was trying to retrofit when I had a flashback from 2 months ago, picking through some parts in my shed. I remembered a pair of wipers in there that I assumed was a spare for my RX-7. Though at the time I couldn't remember where I'd gotten the wipers nor why I would have gotten them. I figured a friend of mine gave them to me along with a bunch of other spares he gave me. It occurred to me at that moment that those were not RX-7 wipers. I got home and dashed to the shed and tore open the door to find these beauties sitting on top of a box of other Lancia spares I had no immediate use for.

ermagerd.jpg

So this ended up being a project that never was. Thankfully.

tJ

I can relate to your whole experience with this. Can't tell you how often I'll be looking for something and see another item I didn't remember having or even where it came from or why. Not only parts, but tools also. I must have dozens of tools that I've never used because I didn't know I had them. o_O

I think I have some duplicate tools which have all been used once because I couldn’t find the tool I knew I had but couldn’t lay hands on it yet I needed to use it now...

I know where most of my parts are but reaching them with my current storage situation is much more difficult than I was expecting.

Sorry, I don't recall if you already posted a more detailed description of this mod.

I'm assuming the two parts (Fiat and Volvo) were machined on a lathe to enable the fitting of them together (red boxes)?

View attachment 34580
Hussein, if You weren't familiar with Volvos and had to choose which shafts to combine, are there some already known aspects or manufacturers which You would avoid?

P.S. I am going to do the same, because X19's arms costs like that would be overpriced classic car :D

Hussein, if You weren't familiar with Volvos and had to choose which shafts to combine, are there some already known aspects or manufacturers which You would avoid?

P.S. I am going to do the same, because X19's arms costs like that would be overpriced classic car :D
This is not a good answer for you, sorry. But in general I'm guessing you could do this type of modification with wiper shafts from most vehicles. So I'd start by seeing what is easily available in your area, and cheap to get the wiper shafts from. Then do the same sort of cutting/lathe turning/welding to splice them to the X's shafts. As long as the 'new' shafts are at least as big diameter as the ones on the X, then no problem. Also make sure the wiper arms and blades for whatever you choose are cheap and easy to get there.

Hope this isn't leading away from @mkmini question, but hasn't the following been discussed already (I don't recall for sure)? How to modify the X's wiper arms to use more readily available blades on them. Seems like it was talked about but not in this thread and now I don't find it?

After thinking about the question @mkmini asked some more, I also realized the choice of wiper drive shafts to use might depend on what arms fit them. I'm referring to the length, shape, and contour of the arms. On some vehicles the wiper drive shafts have unique splines (like the X does) so there may not be a good selection of arms to fit them (like on the X). So in that case you would be making a modification that doesn't help much.

While searching for a answer to my question (making popular 'modern' blades for the X's arms) I found a couple of posts that may be of interest here:

@mkmini, that second link may give you an option for your question.

Hello Janis

Unfortunately I don't pay attention to any other manufacturers :D 0 the determining factor was more to do with the arms - the late 240's arms are straight - and long enough to bend them as needed - and have a small base footprint, which is essential as the hood won't clear a larger base circle

X19-01020.jpg

I helped a friend install Ongaro marine wipers on an old Land Cruiser. Individual motors synced by a small computer.
Might be worth looking into if they fit under the cowl (that’s what I’m doing with an Alfetta) gets rid of the linkage and works far better than any vintage Italian wiper I’ve had

Back