Wire harness building

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Recently @mkmini posted some pics of the really nice wire harness work being done on his X. That inspired me to take another look at the wiring requirements I'll need for my project "Turbo X", to install a aftermarket ECU and related components. I'm unable to do any mechanical work for a couple weeks due to a severe hand injury, so this is a good time to do some 'learning'.

This is around the third time I've gone through the electrical manual for the ECU and made a plan for my harness. Each time I find things that can be improved as I learn more. For the most part my wiring skills are "average" and the resulting work looks it. But this will be one of the larger electrical tasks I've done. And apparently the majority of issues with installing a standalone ECU are due to wiring mistakes. So I'm trying to up my game.

I came across a website that offers some interesting wire harness construction information. Some of it is extreme, some applies to most jobs, all of it is fun to review:

Doable. All materials used comes from Aliexpress, except for the cloth insulation. I started with a metal wire frame to determines the length and positions. The shrink isolation with glue inside is excellent.

Attachments

• F7D2F26E-B6CC-466D-969F-3F3335CA1C7D.jpeg
    F7D2F26E-B6CC-466D-969F-3F3335CA1C7D.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 71
  • 885ED65C-F6E3-490E-831E-214FB730B2FA.jpeg
    885ED65C-F6E3-490E-831E-214FB730B2FA.jpeg
    825.3 KB · Views: 68
Doable. All materials used comes from Aliexpress, except for the cloth insulation. I started with a metal wire frame to determines the length and positions. The shrink isolation with glue inside is excellent.
Looks great!

Agreed, that's where I get most of my electrical stuff. I try to keep an inventory of items that I commonly use in most of my builds, so I buy in larger quantities.

Today I looked at my electrical supplies to see if I have everything I need. But realized I'm getting a little low of a few items. So went to AliExp to do some shopping. Granted it's been a couple years (maybe 3?) since I purchased any, but prices have definitely gone up considerably. Not sure if that's due to Trump's tariffs, or material prices, or?

I'm using heat shrink terminals and covers. I source mine from eBay. They tell me made in the USA. Much better quality solder than the Chinese one's.
Dont much trust much made in China on my Italian car. The NARVA crimp terminals are European made.b

Back