Working on the House....

lookforjoe

True Classic
Been plugging away on the North side of the house - had some issues with flooding from Ida last week to deal with, and couldn't set up the scaffolding until last Friday. We did get the new front side window in, and the casings and some siding repair wrapped up today - another flash flood warning for tonight

PXL_20210905_162655468.jpg


PXL_20210906_143736938-1.jpg


PXL_20210906_152859304.jpg


PXL_20210906_164651359-1.jpg

cut the siding back 5.75" from the sides of the new rough opening for 5/4 x 6" case moldings, 6.5" at the top & 5" at the bottom

PXL_20210906_193553973.jpg


PXL_20210906_200017060-1.jpg



PXL_20210906_205521245-1.jpg


When they installed this smaller window (in what became the modern kitchen), they used foam over the sheathing they added to make up the gap where the old larger window was. I added 1/2" sheathing to bring it level with the original wood siding, so the new concrete siding panels sit at the correct level.

240180070_10220646392374544_3369569989628702053_n.jpg


Need to get the forward North/East vertical edging done before Oct.

PXL_20210907_194854355.jpg


PXL_20210907_225843589.jpg


240624732_10220651771829027_6865260111871032712_n.jpg


241668393_10220651772309039_8249799700525481642_n.jpg


Window will have to be painted white to match all the new ones

241661124_10220651771549020_4430492618351529410_n.jpg


The rear addition area we are not touching until the spring - no way to deal with that before the weather turns, I know its going to be a mess, as there is a step where the porch section joins the main addition - there is probably only sheathing under that area, as we found with the West wall.

PXL_20210908_223153669.jpg
 
Last edited:

lookforjoe

True Classic
Spent the weekend mostly on the corner - had to remove the underlying wood back to the original frame & rebuild that, back caulking everything - before applying tar paper & then the new PVC vertical trim. Ann worked on priming the side where she could, and slapping some green first coats on the lower siding.

PXL_20210912_220208456.jpg
PXL_20210912_220256370.jpg
 

lookforjoe

True Classic
During the week we got some more primer & first layer of top coat on the lower half

PXL_20210915_225101524.jpg


242145720_10220685390829481_5014388477512126642_n.jpg


This weekend we worked on the upper front window. Got the old one removed, rough opening re-framed for the new window sizing. Ann got all the interior casing sanded & stained while I worked on the outside.

PXL_20210918_204036098.jpg


PXL_20210918_185012734.jpg


Got the opening butyl wrapped, the new window caulked & installed. Back-caulked the exterior case moldings & sill. Forgot to take any pics today.
 
Last edited:
There are older houses in town - going back to around 1800. Ours would have been back when there was still brick manufacture / sandstone quarrying / ice harvesting in the Nyacks.

Got the exterior moldings mostly done while Ann worked on priming the siding

View attachment 52678

View attachment 52679

View attachment 52682

View attachment 52680

View attachment 52681
I'm beginning to see your vision as the house gets closer to completion. It's going to look great when you get done.
 

lookforjoe

True Classic
Finished replacing the damaged tiles above the upper windows Saturday, while Ann worked on painting the siding below me. After the local car show today, we put more top coat on it
PXL_20211003_205314536.jpg


The lower mid section only has one coat
PXL_20211003_205333991.jpg


PXL_20211003_205342424.jpg



PXL_20211003_171318525.jpg


PXL_20211003_171329906.jpg


best of the 80's award...

243124873_10220757587474352_8063778959573425125_n.jpg


244381591_10222894579427502_3470650800592903716_n.jpg


243369793_10220756240520679_8041343561911058376_n.jpg
 
Last edited:

lookforjoe

True Classic
Still painting. Weather is not being cooperative :rolleyes:

Just need some minor touchup on the siding at this point, mostly need to get the window trim and the end cap painted. Had to relocate all the cable lines. The cable company wanted $100 to reset them, so I paid $40 for the two special tools & tidied it up myself.

PXL_20211009_214943971.jpg


PXL_20211009_214928528.jpg
 

lookforjoe

True Classic
More top coat siding touchup and got most of the trim done today.

Lily coming out into the road to yell at me

PXL_20211011_220608732.jpg


PXL_20211011_220624617.jpg
 
Last edited:

lookforjoe

True Classic
Almost there - for the season, anyway.

Just have to paint the two ares where the supports were anchored tomorrow. Next spring, we wrap up the remaining exterior work on the rear addition

245909525_10220811199374616_7200271174593560409_n.jpg


IMG_20211016_163934.jpg


IMG_20211016_163924 (1).jpg
 
Last edited:

kmead

Glutton for punishment
Looking great. I love the underlying shiplap siding. A shame it was covered over long ago.

Great work.
 
Top