Would these license plate brackets, with a plate mounted, effect cooling significantly?

Standard issue stuff for early model X19’s. As the title says, any chance a front-mounted, American size plate would negatively effect cooling, at any speed?

My vague recollection is that the stock front brackets mount the plate right at the end of the car's nose so probably a bit high to affect cooling, although it would likely create drag. I took mine off as soon as I came home from the dealer.

I just bought a pair of those.

This is what it will look like. Probably wouldn't affect cooling very much as it's mounted pretty high.

128AS0018774_1a.jpeg

Roy

Although a front plate mounted in the middle might not have too much effect on cooling, I would prefer to leave that area open. The X needs all the cooling assistance it can get. So a side mount like @jimmyx did (post #4) is a better option in my opinion.

Calif requires a front plate and it is a great excuse for a officer to pull someone over, then look for various other violations to cite. But I do not like the appearance of a front plate so I made a "quick release" attachment and kept the plate in the vehicle. If I got pulled over for it I would show the plate and say it just came loose, then reattach it in front of the officer - only receiving a warning. The good news is if you actually receive a citation it's what we refer to as a "fit it ticket", meaning you only need to mount the plate and get the citation signed off. Then nothing goes on your record.

I just bought a pair of those.

This is what it will look like. Probably wouldn't affect cooling very much as it's mounted pretty high.

View attachment 60408

Roy
Interesting that your Amco (?) bar is mounted down, while ours was mounted ‘up’ so to speak. I wonder if there’s a kit for mounting the plate to the bar therefore…

7C6E10C2-A59D-44ED-85B4-1DFAC86BBDED.jpeg

Interesting that your Amco (?) bar is mounted down, while ours was mounted ‘up’ so to speak. I wonder if there’s a kit for mounting the plate to the bar therefore…

Not my car though looks similar... probably should have mentioned that.

Roy

Here in Illinois, front plates are required. I don't think I've run a front plate on any of my X's for the last 35+ years..... and I don't think I've been pulled over for it in at least 30 years..... (I'm now terribly jinxed :oops: ) Must be our downstate cops.... maybe they're just not paying attention?

Here in Illinois, front plates are required. I don't think I've run a front plate on any of my X's for the last 35+ years..... and I don't think I've been pulled over for it in at least 30 years..... (I'm now terribly jinxed :oops: ) Must be our downstate cops.... maybe they're just not paying attention?
Same thing here (knocking on my skull) 24 years, and was only stopped once and given a “show us you put the plate on“ piece of paper. At LAX. That was about 12 years ago. Never heard another thing. They must have lost it.
Most Californians don‘t put them on, amazingly.

I haven't kept up with engineering technology, maybe there is a computer program for a virtual wind tunnel. Then you could check the effects of the front license plate, or any other mod, in regard to air flow!

Had a front plate with the factory mounts on my old blue '74. Never affected cooling.
For some reason, along with one of the seat covers, the 'Master Mechanic' team lost them before turning the car over. Covid 2020 - everyone's brains were clouded...

For some reason, along with one of the seat covers, the 'Master Mechanic' team lost them before turning the car over. Covid 2020 - everyone's brains were clouded...
The current yellow booger doesn't have a front plate mount either. I'm going to run without it. Out here in the sticks, they don't harass you over stupid stuff like that lol.

The current yellow booger doesn't have a front plate mount either. I'm going to run without it. Out here in the sticks, they don't harass you over stupid stuff like that lol.
Nor do they here, even with the Toll Road cameras. But my new plates are so snappy, I'm thinking of going in stereo

Back